just applied to dayton

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by boosis, Aug 12, 2012.

1. boosis

boosis Active Member

I just applied for two driving positions with Dayton. P&D and over the road driver. I am a former YRC/Roadway guy 23yrs. Did P&D ,Dockwork, Switcher, Buggy/Hostler and some utility driving. What should i expect next? Any interview tips tests etc? Do the OTR drivers do mostly meets or turns? Much hotel time? Any advice GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

2. Lazer

Lazer lied to again

Linehaul (now called Transportation drivers) to mostly relay's and service center to service center with return home every morning. We do have a few 'system' drivers they may or may not see a hotel, it just all depends. If you don't mind sharing, what service center did you apply at? As far as 'tips', be 100% honest on all paperwork and the interview.

3. boosis

boosis Active Member

I applied at Springfield, Mo. I thought of an other question. Are the benefits pretty good? And the cost to employee? THANKS AGAIN!!!

4. truckermatt

truckermatt Member

When say benefits, what exactly are yo referring to?

5. boosis

boosis Active Member

medical,dental, vision etc.

6. Lazer

Lazer lied to again

health insurance=family: $38.33 per week
    dental family= $16.37 per week
    I don't purchase the vision option, so I don't know the amount.

7. truckermatt

truckermatt Member

vision is $6.00 per week family $3.00 for single

8. boosis

boosis Active Member

well it has been a week and have not heard anything. i will keep trying. do they layoff much? like in the winter if it slows down? THANKS FOR THE REPLY'S !!!

9. truckermatt

truckermatt Member

It took me about 3 weeks to hear back the first time from them, and it was 10 weeks before i actually started working. Worth the wait if you ask me.

10. gettaway80

gettaway80 New Member

Definitely worth the wait.I came here from fxf and it has been a good move so far.The management has treated me like a human and just about alll of the drivers i've been in contact with have been helpful and are glad to welcome new people to the company.It took me about 8 or 9 weeks to get started also.

11. boosis

boosis Active Member

Well this is the start of the third week. I hope i hear something from them this week! THANKS TO ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE REPLIED TO MY QUESTIONS!! Those of you that have replied seem to have good things to say about Dayton! THANKS AGAIN!!

12. boosis

boosis Active Member

well it has been almost 2 months since i applied to dayton. have not heard anything! called the terminal a couple of times and was told we are accepting applications but not hiring at this time. was told to keep applications updated and current. which i had planned to do anyway. i hope after the political season is over things will break loose in the freight world.?

13. truckermatt

truckermatt Member

I dont know the Springfield, MO area, but I do know they only hire drivers when they need them, they dont over hire then lay-off in the slow time like some carriers do... If you can I would keep waiting... Maybe start part time if you can, then when full time opens you are ready to go.

I did part time for 7 months then a full time position opened up and they ask the part timers first so I jumped to full time. It was worth it IMO

14. Yellow who

Yellow who Member

Ive heard on a local level that Dayton will not talk laid off union drivers, I cannot personally verify this, and have thought about filling out an app at the local terminal since it did just hang a sign that they were taking apps. Know some of the men and they all say its a good place to work, but dont know if I am wasting my time since its out there that theywont talk to us union men.

15. Lazer

Lazer lied to again

There are former CF and Holland drivers in all parts of the company. There are also former Car Haulers as well.

16. boosis

boosis Active Member

Well i was looking at jobs this morning on the indeed website and i saw 2 part time jobs posted. one for a csr and the other for a dock worker. My apps are current so maybe something will happen?