Yellow | Just got hired as a dock worker, have a couple questions.

FYI: My Podiatrist years ago, (I wear arch inserts) told me to not wear a steel toe shoe if I could get away with it. He said he had to wheel patients in to the OR do do extensive repair damage to the foot & toes of his patient. Tendons, blood vessels, & bone suffered heavy damage because of the steel or plastic piece. He said the recovery time from a mashed foot was much faster & less damage to his patient when the foot was mashed instead of the metal or plastic cutting in to flesh & bone. I thought he was joking, so I checked it out. He was right. If whatever comes down on your foot has enough force it will drive the metal or plastic insert right through you foot. Without it you just mash it, broken bones but less damage. von.

I don't know where your going to be working at ,but at our terminal it's pretty much anything goes with footwear. They use to require work boots , but now it's anything from tennis shoes to street shoes, to boots. Having said that, I would suggest boots. Your choice on steel toe ( I wear steel toe).

Most terminals have lockers to keep stuff in if you want to leave your boots there. Hey good luck!

Sorry to bug you, but I have one more question, and sometimes I'm a bit impatient, and can't quite wait until my start date (14th) to ask.

I read that 15% pay cuts/concessions were enacted/voted in by the union to help with company debt, is that still ongoing? If it is, how much longer will it last?

FYI: My Podiatrist years ago, (I wear arch inserts) told me to not wear a steel toe shoe if I could get away with it. He said he had to wheel patients in to the OR do do extensive repair damage to the foot & toes of his patient. Tendons, blood vessels, & bone suffered heavy damage because of the steel or plastic piece. He said the recovery time from a mashed foot was much faster & less damage to his patient when the foot was mashed instead of the metal or plastic cutting in to flesh & bone. I thought he was joking, so I checked it out. He was right. If whatever comes down on your foot has enough force it will drive the metal or plastic insert right through you foot. Without it you just mash it, broken bones but less damage. von.

I don't mean to nitpick here, but I'm fairly certain if a forklift runs over your toes, and you don't have safety toes, a lot more then mashing/crushing of your toes can happen. They can easily be severed.

And I believe the mythbusters tested this as a myth, and it was busted.

Sorry to bug you, but I have one more question, and sometimes I'm a bit impatient, and can't quite wait until my start date (14th) to ask.

I read that 15% pay cuts/concessions were enacted/voted in by the union to help with company debt, is that still ongoing? If it is, how much longer will it last?
Yes 15% reduction is in place. It will last forever.

Yes 15% reduction is in place. It will last forever.
Well ::shit::. That's... Disappointing. I'm still very excited for the opportunity to be working for the company, as I'll still be making around $500 a month more then I previously was, but if I may ask, why are you so sure it will be in place forever? I've done my homework and I realize they are in quite a lot of debt and not in the most financially stable position, but forever? That's quite a long time (anytime is a good time for humor)!

Or until you die. Won't be forever for an individual. :17142: Maybe for as long as I work here. Forever is a long time. Seems like I've been making 20 bucks an hour forever.
Now that's along time. Forever. And ever.
Have I possibly read something wrong? I read that they take 15% out of your paycheck. Seems like there might be a misunderstanding here.

Or did I read wrong?

Have I possibly read something wrong? I read that they take 15% out of your paycheck. Seems like there might be a misunderstanding here.

Or did I read wrong?
No. They do not subtract 15 percent from your weekly check. The hourly rate was reduced by that amount in one of the voted on MOU agreements.Not sure what area of the country you are looking to work in, but if it is in the Central States area, the top hourly rate right now is around 21.50, with yearly raises. If in the Chicago area terminals, top rate right now is 22.93, with yearly raises. OT after 8, and 40.

No. They do not subtract 15 percent from your weekly check. The hourly rate was reduced by that amount in one of the voted on MOU agreements.Not sure what area of the country you are looking to work in, but if it is in the Central States area, the top hourly rate right now is around 21.50, with yearly raises. If in the Chicago area terminals, top rate right now is 22.93, with yearly raises. OT after 8, and 40.
Ah, so I did read wrong. Leave it to glass door reviews... I appreciate you for clearing that up for me.

As for what region of the country I'm working in, I'm in the north eastern area.

Last edited:
I'm still very excited for the opportunity to be working for the company, as I'll still be making around $500 a month more then I previously was,
Don't worry, the novelty of it all will wear off soon enough. Once you've been indoctrinated please let us know how long that honeymoon effect lasts.

I like composite toes, toes don't get cold because of steel. In Charlotte clothing, pretty much anything goes except tank tops.

Ah, so I did read wrong. Leave it to glass door reviews... I appreciate you for clearing that up for me.

As for what region of the country I'm working in, I'm in the north eastern area.
And as far as anyone knows, the current MOU expires in April, 2019. What happens then as far as restored wages, and a lost week
Of vacation will probably be addressed then. If you stick it out here for 3 years to get to full scale, and the health insurance stays company paid, I would advise get into the 401K as soon as you can to start saving for yourself. The plan we are in is union sponsored, but you totally control it. This is not the greatest place to work, nor the worst, if you figure you're company paid health insurance, and pickup OT when offered, you can still take home a nice check.

I don't mean to nitpick here, but I'm fairly certain if a forklift runs over your toes, and you don't have safety toes, a lot more then mashing/crushing of your toes can happen. They can easily be severed.

And I believe the mythbusters tested this as a myth, and it was busted.
Just telling ya what he told me. Kind of makes sense. Their will be damage with or without. But from the way he told it, I will take the mashed foot versus severed bone & tendons any time. Now I have dropped a empty pallet on my foot, & wished I had toe protection. Kind of Dam if you do, dam if you don't. von.