XPO | Just my thought on the end of Conway as we know it.

Conway Lifer

TB Lurker
Credits
I started at "Conway Western Express" in Ventura Calif. in 1986. They were a new and upcoming company. I had been with "GI Trucking" for about a year. I learned to drive at GI on my lunch break which was about 2am. GI was not treating me all that well so I applied at "CWX". UVC was brand new, hadn't opened for business yet, I was hired the next day, I was 22 years old. UVC was just a small operation, maybe 12 doors or a few more. We only serviced three states back then, Calif, Nv. and Az. I loved my new job, my new company and my new friends. So here we are, 29 years later, and now I have to say "goodbye" to the name "Conway" and who know's what else, I, you, all of us, will have to say good bye to. I know that a lot of people here on the "Trucking Boards" have not had a positive experience working for Conway, but for me, I have loved working here, and hope that I will continue to love working here. It will be hard to except that "Conway" will no longer exist, as I have always known it. I am sure I can't be the only one who feels this way. I always wanted to be a truck driver, and in 1986, no other company would hire me, A young 22 year old man, 1 year of driving experience, but very eager to make a career out of trucking. "Conway" took a chance on me, and I am still here, I still love my job, and I hope the years I have left, will be great as well. I have been through the best and worst years with "Conway", I hope even better years await us all, no matter what it says on the side of our trucks. Have a great weekend, and always be safe!

I started at "Conway Western Express" in Ventura Calif. in 1986. They were a new and upcoming company. I had been with "GI Trucking" for about a year. I learned to drive at GI on my lunch break which was about 2am. GI was not treating me all that well so I applied at "CWX". UVC was brand new, hadn't opened for business yet, I was hired the next day, I was 22 years old. UVC was just a small operation, maybe 12 doors or a few more. We only serviced three states back then, Calif, Nv. and Az. I loved my new job, my new company and my new friends. So here we are, 29 years later, and now I have to say "goodbye" to the name "Conway" and who know's what else, I, you, all of us, will have to say good bye to. I know that a lot of people here on the "Trucking Boards" have not had a positive experience working for Conway, but for me, I have loved working here, and hope that I will continue to love working here. It will be hard to except that "Conway" will no longer exist, as I have always known it. I am sure I can't be the only one who feels this way. I always wanted to be a truck driver, and in 1986, no other company would hire me, A young 22 year old man, 1 year of driving experience, but very eager to make a career out of trucking. "Conway" took a chance on me, and I am still here, I still love my job, and I hope the years I have left, will be great as well. I have been through the best and worst years with "Conway", I hope even better years await us all, no matter what it says on the side of our trucks. Have a great weekend, and always be safe!
I also started the same year you did, Lifer. Your right, this used to be a great company to work for. The Detter years were great. 2008, when the stock market crashed, housing, the economy went bad, is when things got bad here at Conway. Its when Conway and the new management used the excuse of the economy as a reason to start taking away from us. Things have went to crap since then. The greedy CEO and all the greedy top management under him have ***** this company. Theres no reason a CEO of this company should recieve over 50 million in stock options he cashed in last year. All the while, we cant get our 401K match back. Its disgusting. Plus the money he has pissed away on Lean, makes me sick.
I am not happy about spending 29 yrs. with a company and now having to work for a new one. I am happy to see the current management team get dismantled. Unlike you, I am not happy with my job anymore, and I really, really want to be.
Its a scary situation, whats happening now, especially all the years I have invested here. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully, it does get better, but I really dont think it will.

He isn't staying around to help make things better. He will be in an advisory capacity as they gut and cut.
Or not. High level executives have contracts. Clauses. It may be as simple as XPO doesn't want to pay him a large sum of money to buy out the remaining time on his contract. So , he's allowed to "remain as an advisor". With absolutely no say so.
Honestly ,who knows?!?

I for now am remaining quite optimistic for the near future of our company. it is tough to grasp the reality that "Conway" will no long be our company name, which is all ive known in the 10 years I have had here since also starting out at a young age of 24. Im looking forward to hopefully seeing a nice rise in freight levels at my terminal which have been on the decline for quite some time. Maybe we will even get daytime line haul in my barn, ya never know! I don't know how all of this will work out but I can say that the CEO of XPO logistics seems to have his head on straight and I like what ive heard in a few of the youtube lectures ive listened to. This guy Bradley Jacobs has been a success with past companies and I really believe he see's something with our outfit and is going to make some good things happen......plenty of work and runs for the guys that actually want it!

I for now am remaining quite optimistic for the near future of our company. it is tough to grasp the reality that "Conway" will no long be our company name, which is all ive known in the 10 years I have had here since also starting out at a young age of 24. Im looking forward to hopefully seeing a nice rise in freight levels at my terminal which have been on the decline for quite some time. Maybe we will even get daytime line haul in my barn, ya never know! I don't know how all of this will work out but I can say that the CEO of XPO logistics seems to have his head on straight and I like what ive heard in a few of the youtube lectures ive listened to. This guy Bradley Jacobs has been a success with past companies and I really believe he see's something with our outfit and is going to make some good things happen......plenty of work and runs for the guys that actually want it!
Well said. Wait and see what happens.

I also started the same year you did, Lifer. Your right, this used to be a great company to work for. The Detter years were great. 2008, when the stock market crashed, housing, the economy went bad, is when things got bad here at Conway. Its when Conway and the new management used the excuse of the economy as a reason to start taking away from us. Things have went to crap since then. The greedy CEO and all the greedy top management under him have ***** this company. Theres no reason a CEO of this company should recieve over 50 million in stock options he cashed in last year. All the while, we cant get our 401K match back. Its disgusting. Plus the money he has pissed away on Lean, makes me sick.
I am not happy about spending 29 yrs. with a company and now having to work for a new one. I am happy to see the current management team get dismantled. Unlike you, I am not happy with my job anymore, and I really, really want to be.
Its a scary situation, whats happening now, especially all the years I have invested here. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully, it does get better, but I really dont think it will.
C.C.X. or Con/Way have not been around for a long time my friend!:17::17::17::violin::violin:

Exactly. It's all speculation. No matter how much we read and talk to people. This is an entirely different circumstance that will have it's own conclusion.
The next few months are going to be crazy with speculation and he said she said and guess what I heard. The Con-Way board is going to be humming.

The next few months are going to be crazy with speculation and he said she said and guess what I heard. The Con-Way board is going to be humming.

I maxxed my data last month in two days. So many shared articles and sending this or that to whoever. We are all a bit exhausted from it. A lot of information in 48 hours.

The weird thing is... everyone is excited. There is a huge sense of freedom. If things go good. Great ! Finally, right ?

And if things go bad.... so what ? There is a huge shortage. I have a valid CDL. Everything is going to fine or better.

I maxxed my data last month in two days. So many shared articles and sending this or that to whoever. We are all a bit exhausted from it. A lot of information in 48 hours.

The weird thing is... everyone is excited. There is a huge sense of freedom. If things go good. Great ! Finally, right ?

And if things go bad.... so what ? There is a huge shortage. I have a valid CDL. Everything is going to fine or better.
Exactly. I can get another job in a minute. I think people are kind of relieved because the general concensus was that our leadership were incompetent and have been taking this company down the wrong road for a long time. This could be a brave new world, at least there is a chance where under the old regime we were doomed to more of the same for sure.