XPO | Just my thought on the end of Conway as we know it.

Just my opinion, but I disagree with the thinking that XPO will cut the wages any. That would cause drivers to leave, and that puts amateurs in their seats. And nobody can deliver their freight when the freight is flipped up on it's side laying in the median along an express way. That doesn't impress any customers, foreign or domestic.
Never forget.......you get what you pay for, so he's not stupid enough to :nut kick: his drivers.

Xca driver here\ any idea if other ltl companies have a plan to snatch up any cnw6 driver if a mass exodus happens? I would like to be in the first wave.

Just my opinion, but I disagree with the thinking that XPO will cut the wages any. That would cause drivers to leave, and that puts amateurs in their seats. And nobody can deliver their freight when the freight is flipped up on it's side laying in the median along an express way. That doesn't impress any customers, foreign or domestic.
Never forget.......you get what you pay for, so he's not stupid enough to :nut kick: his drivers.
I agree. He isnt going to cut the former conway driver's pay. He is just going to have fewer former conway drivers making that pay and pulling his freight.

Xca driver here\ any idea if other ltl companies have a plan to snatch up any cnw6 driver if a mass exodus happens? I would like to be in the first wave.
It your choice driver. If you want to jump, jump. If you think that's your best choice, then do it. I'm guessing you don't have many years in, so you have to do what's right for you. Any cdl driver can get work.

I have heard it said , he who has the most drivers wins in reference to the coming driver shortage. Yes there is a shortage now, It has not hit Ltl so much yet. Some of the bigger markets are feeling it but in the smaller markets companies are able to find drivers

Where is Merdock? He would be the first to say the sky is not falling, don't be chicken little. We are going to be fine driver. Don't waste 2 seconds worrying about the doom and gloom you are hearing on the board. All of these guys that are saying paycuts, layoffs, more owner operators hauling our freight DON'T work here. They are all cheerleaders for the Con-way sucks squad, we killed CF squad. They are hoping and praying we fall off a cliff and I am telling you that from everything I have seen and read this is going to be a GREAT thing for us. We are going to be the carrier of choice to work for because we are going to have the freight,rhe miles, and yes the pay.Don't leave before the party gets exciting.

Read a lot of this thread. Some of you are in denial, others, that have gone thur situations like this understand what is comming. You will get a new application to fill out. You will get a cut in pay. You will pay for most of you insurance. There will be no 4 week vacation. Your line haul run will be run by an o/o. And you will be expected to work Saturdays. The overtime will be in the after 50 some hours range. Sound like any other company out there??? I'll give you a hint. Matty's son is on the board of XPO. I will let the geniuses figure out the rest. Now would be the time to find another job if you can.Taking a five dollar an hour pay cut in going to impact many lives.

Read a lot of this thread. Some of you are in denial, others, that have gone thur situations like this understand what is comming. You will get a new application to fill out. You will get a cut in pay. You will pay for most of you insurance. There will be no 4 week vacation. Your line haul run will be run by an o/o. And you will be expected to work Saturdays. The overtime will be in the after 50 some hours range. Sound like any other company out there??? I'll give you a hint. Matty's son is on the board of XPO. I will let the geniuses figure out the rest. Now would be the time to find another job if you can.Taking a five dollar an hour pay cut in going to impact many lives.
Thanks for making my point for me. You are routing for this to happen. Haters will always hate. You have a safe trip.

How many times has it been said ? This industry is engaged in a " race to the bottom " ?
Agreed driver. I wish you guys the best in your new adventure. Until the teamsters members myself included start using are rights to vote some of these BS contracts out we have and you non union guys start express your feelings to management with your feet. Because 90% of all trucking companies think where just dumb ass truck drivers (mostly true) and scared to stand up to them. Once again good luck to you guys.

Agreed driver. I wish you guys the best in your new adventure. Until the teamsters members myself included start using are rights to vote some of these BS contracts out we have and you non union guys start express your feelings to management with your feet. Because 90% of all trucking companies think where just dumb ass truck drivers (mostly true) and scared to stand up to them. Once again good luck to you guys.
Well said.

I have heard it said , he who has the most drivers wins in reference to the coming driver shortage. Yes there is a shortage now, It has not hit Ltl so much yet. Some of the bigger markets are feeling it but in the smaller markets companies are able to find drivers
Same here. No problem getting drivers at my barn. Several just hired including through con-way school. Fifty miles away, they have a tough time hiring, and they make $2 more then me! That's why I get paid MARKET VALUE!!

I started as a "LIFER' twice in my Life. Once in the military and again with CCX. In the military, I have seen failed programs/ideas and successful programs/ideas. I have seen abuse for political gain. I have experienced victories for humanity, both American and Worldly. I have experienced similar situations with CCX/Conway, but on a more local level. The one common denominator at the foundation of both, IMHO, is the veterans. No matter what, they can improvise, overcome, and/or adapt because of their experience. They know how to work as a team, even though they didn't much like the person working next to them. They got the job done. They welcomed and promoted competence, integrity and pride. We worked as a team. We put more freight in a trailer, in less time, than they we do now. And, I might add, with less damage and without the brow-beating of management. IMHO, if we get hit with an influx of tonnage by this merger, it's the veterans that will get the job done. The "new guys" simply don't have the experience, desire or wherewithal. They will be lost with the occasional pat on the ass by a veteran to keep them moving. In any environment, one should always honor and respect the veterans. In the crash of 2008, Conway took the smallest hit among LTL carriers, Since then, after a stupid and costly move of trying to put YRC out of business, we regrouped and got back to business. But, unfortunately, new management decided to go with bean counters, LEAN, "space is waste", numbers. Have our TMs thinned out our freight load so they make their "numbers"? IMHO, I feel that meeting the "numbers" have hurt our company and made it ready for a buy out. The new management has sold out the drivers. Shifting under 1500rpm may have some fuel savings. But, it has slowed the company down on a National scale. When one slows down, one cannot accomplish one's daily tasks. Therefore, one must put off what one cannot do today until tomorrow. Studies show that reducing the speed limit to 55 didn't conserve energy. It simply slowed our nation down. In the military, I was taught, "There are no bad crews, only bad leaders". In the civilian world, I have found that; there are no bad leaders: only bad crews. I honestly feel that the "numbers folks" had honorable intentions. I honestly believe that the "software folks" had honorable intentions. Hey, Stoltar is worth about 14 million just on the stock he owns. IMHO middle management bastardized these initiatives as a CYA to promote their own, personal, professional progression within the company. Our "middle management leaders", :::shit::: on the drivers of this company. IMHO middle management has always been the weakest link of this company. This merger will trim the fat off the top. It's my hope that it will also trims the fat of "middle management" the simply occupies a chair and desk but does nothing for the company. History has shown that the foundation of any formidable force is it;s veterans. And, the strength of that force is it's leaders. Conway is at a stand still. It is a 5.5 billion dollar a year company. But, it cannot evolve. XPO is a 2.5 billion dollar a year 3PL company. Buying Conway is a natural evolution for them. So, right now, we are a 8 billion dollar company. They are projecting that we will become a 12 - 15 billion dollar company, #1 3PL AND #2 LTL. I'm good with that. One thing they should keep in mind though, it's the "veterans" that play a very big part in getting us there.
I couldn't agree w/ u any more on what you've posted here "oldschooler LTL". I especially go along w/ u on the idea that the biggest issue w/ con-way is its middle management core: particularly SMC's. My experience w/ them is that they need to stop thinking about moving up the corporate ladder so much and getting all uptight about their numbers being right. We just finished an audit at my barn last week and it was told to us at a morning briefing that we got a 'red rating',( really bad according to our fos). We were then told going forward that things would have to get better or else. My point, why is it always us verses them? I thought that we were a united team. Instead of harping on us the drivers about our mistakes, issues, failures, bad attitudes, etc, ( which is needed at times I suppose for certain individuals), but shouldn't our local leaders focus on how to motivate and inspire us drivers in a more positive and respectful way to do the right thing? I've come to the sad conclusion that in this barn, or maybe even the whole company that "it's every man for him or herself". If xpo does buy us out next month, I sure hope that all departments of con-way will be evaluated and assessed equally: and especially middle management will be put under a microscope and fixed.

As far as compensation - healthcare cost is rising ( still ) faster than the pay raises. I hope XPO looks at this from an overall point of view , instead of how the CFO ( Mr. Pierson ) of YRCW looks at things “If we operate in a largely non-unionized industry, we need to be able to pay in a mainly non-unionized fashion,” says Pierson. “If we’re above the market by 15% we’re not going to be competitive. We are now paying what the market will bear, and we all need to divorce ourselves from the mindset that that 15% is going to come back.”

If there's a driver shortage , then the pressure should be pushing compensation up , instead of someone telling us to forget about money ever coming back.

Exactly. Supposedly there aren't enough of us to go around. And still we keep paying for the price of business while these millionaires become billionaires.

I couldn't agree w/ u any more on what you've posted here "oldschooler LTL". I especially go along w/ u on the idea that the biggest issue w/ con-way is its middle management core: particularly SMC's. My experience w/ them is that they need to stop thinking about moving up the corporate ladder so much and getting all uptight about their numbers being right. We just finished an audit at my barn last week and it was told to us at a morning briefing that we got a 'red rating',( really bad according to our fos). We were then told going forward that things would have to get better or else. My point, why is it always us verses them? I thought that we were a united team. Instead of harping on us the drivers about our mistakes, issues, failures, bad attitudes, etc, ( which is needed at times I suppose for certain individuals), but shouldn't our local leaders focus on how to motivate and inspire us drivers in a more positive and respectful way to do the right thing? I've come to the sad conclusion that in this barn, or maybe even the whole company that "it's every man for him or herself". If xpo does buy us out next month, I sure hope that all departments of con-way will be evaluated and assessed equally: and especially middle management will be put under a microscope and fixed.
Audits... Lol. Don't even get me started! Red is really bad, depends on how many primary exceptions your barn got.

Awesome post, veteran! You said a mouthful...all true. Terminal-level management is exactly why I left. And I never had the pleasure of an exit interview. They probably figured I'd rip 'em pretty good, but oh well.

Haven't heard anything. Last summer there was a lot of poaching. Of course timing is part of it. Now we are heading into winter and the economy has slowed a touch. Lucky for you your location is ideal. Charlietown is full of trucking jobs with all the big guys. Catching the first wave is wise if it is your intent to leave. Why wait ? Everyday here is a lost day of seniority elsewhere.

We are all going to have to play our hands a bit differently. If you are younger you have more to gain by jumping sooner assuming things go bad. And even if things don't go bad you are really making a lateral move. All the big carriers pay about the same, the hourly or mileage will be different, but the yearly ain't hardly any different at all. And by going from an unknown situation into a known situation you eliminate a ton of risk.

And it's the risk that has people talking. That unknown element of what exactly is this guy going to do here. Many of us have been through something like this before. It is rarely good for the people being bought up. Sometimes even the " good " things turn out to be pretty bad. It's hard to say. This probably won't be horrible. But maybe it will. None of us will know until we know.

Some people will wait and take the future giving to them. Others will take action and earn the future they chose.

I just checked the Board of Directors of XPO, I didn't see Matty Moroun's son on their (Unless he has a different last name)...

From what I know, XPO is NOT a LEAN company. That means, hopefully, LEAN goes away. The basis, IMHO, of their business model and philosophy is customer service and move freight!!! Yeaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Back to making money and a strong company!!!!