XPO | Just my thought on the end of Conway as we know it.

He hasn't committed to selling. He received unsolicited offers, probably from bottom feeders looking for a deal.
I agree. Probably "fishing" to see if XPO's plan was to just dump Truckload from the beginning. Probably not any serious offers.

Can anybody explain the nuts & bolts of this proposed economy rate LTL thing?

We used to have Deferred freight where I believe pups went on rail cars long distance between East and West. It took a few days longer and was cheaper. They gave it up in the mid 2000's. If you ever see an old double copy BOL, there are check boxes for Guaranteed and Deferred

We used to have Deferred freight where I believe pups went on rail cars long distance between East and West. It took a few days longer and was cheaper. They gave it up in the mid 2000's. If you ever see an old double copy BOL, there are check boxes for Guaranteed and Deferred

And this guy is so heavy into rail and intermodal already that it makes sense that he would return to offering an economy service. It's part of the XPO family plan. Integration of these large networks to fulfill customer demand. I think everyone gets that.

But if you asking how it will be different at the drivers level. Will it be any different at all ?

And this guy is so heavy into rail and intermodal already that it makes sense that he would return to offering an economy service. It's part of the XPO family plan. Integration of these large networks to fulfill customer demand. I think everyone gets that.

But if you asking how it will be different at the drivers level. Will it be any different at all ?

Possibly less subservice also. But that doesn't affect us as drivers, only the subservice companies.

Right now what Con-way specializes in is next day. What OD specializes in is economy. There is some blending of course. But that is the nut shell of it. The time definite part of the equation is all. The rest of it is freight on a trailer. So at our level. Really not much difference. In the office, pricing and lanes change to reflect a different customer base.

I didn't know we were an economy carrier... Last I checked we charge as much if not more than you guys do to haul freight, and we haul plenty of next-day. Hell, we run 2 day transit from Atlanta to Denver and LA basin... Seems pretty expedited to me.

I didn't know we were an economy carrier... Last I checked we charge as much if not more than you guys do to haul freight, and we haul plenty of next-day. Hell, we run 2 day transit from Atlanta to Denver and LA basin... Seems pretty expedited to me.

That's a bunch of bull ::shit::. You guys under cut us on freight you want all the time. And the OD business model avoids mucking up the network with limited amounts of dedicated premium freight. They focus on filling lanes, no different than any other trucking company. But since they have such a low O/R, I am going to assume that they are doing it better.

That's a bunch of bull :::shit:::. You guys under cut us on freight you want all the time. And the OD business model avoids mucking up the network with limited amounts of dedicated premium freight. They focus on filling lanes, no different than any other trucking company. But since they have such a low O/R, I am going to assume that they are doing it better.

I never knew you were such an expert on our business model, as you admittedly have never worked here.

If we were turning in numbers like OD it would pass as justifiable. But since we don't. I guess you are right.
These numbers are easily manipulated. If Con-way's Operating Ratio would have been below 95 for two consecutive quarters , theoretically , we would have received 3% match on a 6% contribution.
Larger purchases ( like thousands of new Cascadias ) can throw off the OR - and if you wanted , you could make the OR higher or lower based on how you put a large purchase on the books.

He hasn't committed to selling. He received unsolicited offers, probably from bottom feeders looking for a deal.
My understanding from what I heard Mr. Jacobs say concerning selling TL was ... 1st he can't do that just yet cause he doesn't own con-way yet. 2nd, if he did sell TL,(and even that idea is a big if cause he still has it in the back of his mind that he wants Conway TL to be more efficient and profitable by getting them more loads through his brokerage network),he wants to sell it at as high of a price that he can possibly get in order to offset a significant chuck of the Conway debt that he will be taking on w/ his acquisition of Conway. My point... I doubt that he will be entertaining any offers from any 'bottom feeder' TL companies. But then again if and when he does sells TL, maybe that's the only offers he'll get. Time will tell.

These numbers are easily manipulated. If Con-way's Operating Ratio would have been below 95 for two consecutive quarters , theoretically , we would have received 3% match on a 6% contribution.
Larger purchases ( like thousands of new Cascadias ) can throw off the OR - and if you wanted , you could make the OR higher or lower based on how you put a large purchase on the books.
Just for the record, I'm not an O.D. Employee, but their last quarter Operating Ratio was 81.5 That is off the scale great. I've been in this business 38 years and Con-Way could buy new trucks, commodes, air fresheners and still give you matching funds and you still could not operate at 81.5 (O.D.' S Numbers are not theoretical, they are fact)

Hey man,
I don't have 29 years of driving experience with conway, and I don't know many people in the company besides the friends I have at the XWO terminal. But everything you just said I can relate to. I am 29 years old and I have had a rough life. My past has made it very difficult for me to provide for my kids and be the man that I am meant to be. Until I worked for Conway . I always knew i wanted to drive trucks but i didn't have a cdl, I had a permit and years of dockworker experience. Conway took a chance on me and for the first time in my life I had someone believe in me and invest in me. Conway put me behind the wheel and on the road and for that I will be always be greatful. It saddens me to know that they are gone because even with all the negative that you hear, they are the first to believe in me....i got my license in 7 weeks, and on week 8 I was driving linehaul to NJ and back making very good money. It's an honor to wear this uniform, and I hope with everything that's within me that this deal doesn't go through. I love my job and not many people can say that
correction - "Conway" didn't do anything for you - a terminal manager (a man) took a chance on you and YOU demonstrated that YOU had value - that was a face to face (man to man) (arms length) agreement - CONWAY or Holland ABF YRC ... (a gang of parasites living off of others labor) cares not for any man and will do nearly anything to show a profit because profit is the LAW - had CONWAY made the decision to hire and not the man you would probably be getting screwed by YRC :-)

Last edited:
XPO is a logistic company...meaning access to alot of contract carriers. Linehaul will feel the crunch. Good luck...I hope I'm wrong.

True. But now that access extends to their own network ( us ). They can use us to pull freight when it is cheaper or we would have been pulling empties anyway. I feel line haul will see an increase in work load. The city might stay the same if not even slow down. He is all about the blue chips.

I wouldn't expect any big changes anytime soon. The last thing that he wants is to make changes that would cause a mass exit of the employees. Not enough employees would blow his entire business plan all to heck. It will be business as usual for at least another year, while he takes time to analyze the situation. If there are any immediate changes, they will all be positive.....with a large influx of new freight.
Sure......some people will look for things to whine about (like an ugly uniform) but in reality, I expect to hear about positive changes.