XPO | Just my thought on the end of Conway as we know it.

I started at "Conway Western Express" in Ventura Calif. in 1986. They were a new and upcoming company. I had been with "GI Trucking" for about a year. I learned to drive at GI on my lunch break which was about 2am. GI was not treating me all that well so I applied at "CWX". UVC was brand new, hadn't opened for business yet, I was hired the next day, I was 22 years old. UVC was just a small operation, maybe 12 doors or a few more. We only serviced three states back then, Calif, Nv. and Az. I loved my new job, my new company and my new friends. So here we are, 29 years later, and now I have to say "goodbye" to the name "Conway" and who know's what else, I, you, all of us, will have to say good bye to. I know that a lot of people here on the "Trucking Boards" have not had a positive experience working for Conway, but for me, I have loved working here, and hope that I will continue to love working here. It will be hard to except that "Conway" will no longer exist, as I have always known it. I am sure I can't be the only one who feels this way. I always wanted to be a truck driver, and in 1986, no other company would hire me, A young 22 year old man, 1 year of driving experience, but very eager to make a career out of trucking. "Conway" took a chance on me, and I am still here, I still love my job, and I hope the years I have left, will be great as well. I have been through the best and worst years with "Conway", I hope even better years await us all, no matter what it says on the side of our trucks. Have a great weekend, and always be safe!
Very well-written, Conway Lifer! Yes, it's true, some have had negative experiences at Conway Freight, myself included. I'm glad your numerous years there have been beneficial for you. I suppose it mostly depends on which terminal you're at, and the management team within that terminal. I left after a three-year stint in 2012...all due to an unbearable supervisor. Tensions built with this fellow and I, and eventually came to a pretty major dust-up. I apologized to him the next day, but started a job search which led me to where I am now.

Best of luck to you in whatever your future holds!

Very well-written, Conway Lifer! Yes, it's true, some have had negative experiences at Conway Freight, myself included. I'm glad your numerous years there have been beneficial for you. I suppose it mostly depends on which terminal you're at, and the management team within that terminal. I left after a three-year stint in 2012...all due to an unbearable supervisor. Tensions built with this fellow and I, and eventually came to a pretty major dust-up. I apologized to him the next day, but started a job search which led me to where I am now.

I tell u what these damn supervisors most of the newer ones are just flexing muscle to move on to a higher up position an only care about numbers not drivers or the freight itself.. I've had numerous run ins with them an have came close to losing it an getting myself fired.. Hope with the change coming that this will change

And the best of luck to you as well!!

I wonder if we will have a sad movie come out to explain how all this is in our best interest and all part of the big picture?:17::lmao::violin::bowdown::crybaby::heykoolaid:

I started at "Conway Western Express" in Ventura Calif. in 1986. They were a new and upcoming company. I had been with "GI Trucking" for about a year. I learned to drive at GI on my lunch break which was about 2am. GI was not treating me all that well so I applied at "CWX". UVC was brand new, hadn't opened for business yet, I was hired the next day, I was 22 years old. UVC was just a small operation, maybe 12 doors or a few more. We only serviced three states back then, Calif, Nv. and Az. I loved my new job, my new company and my new friends. So here we are, 29 years later, and now I have to say "goodbye" to the name "Conway" and who know's what else, I, you, all of us, will have to say good bye to. I know that a lot of people here on the "Trucking Boards" have not had a positive experience working for Conway, but for me, I have loved working here, and hope that I will continue to love working here. It will be hard to except that "Conway" will no longer exist, as I have always known it. I am sure I can't be the only one who feels this way. I always wanted to be a truck driver, and in 1986, no other company would hire me, A young 22 year old man, 1 year of driving experience, but very eager to make a career out of trucking. "Conway" took a chance on me, and I am still here, I still love my job, and I hope the years I have left, will be great as well. I have been through the best and worst years with "Conway", I hope even better years await us all, no matter what it says on the side of our trucks. Have a great weekend, and always be safe!
Let's be optimistic

If you guys at con way would have voted the union in years ago I bet anything this xpo thing would have never happen because they wouldn't want a union carrier . Now your futures are up for grabs because enough of you all believed your managements hype . Best of luck to all of you guys .:1036316054:

Last edited:
If you guys at con way would have voted the union in years ago I bet anything this xpo thing would have never happen because they wouldn't want a union carrier . Now your futures are up for grabs because enough of you all believed your managements hype . Best of luck to all of you guys .:1036316054:
XPO does a LOT of intermodal ,to my understanding , which is heavily union in the ports. I'm guessing XPO wouldn't have thought twice about buying Con-way.

Also , if a company is a great investment - well ran , profitable , with a good culture - does it matter if they're union or not?

sure, sure.... Say... How are those 318 ups drivers that lost their jobs when they merged two barns together in Chicago making out? Good thing the union saved their jobs.

Last edited:
My question is what about seniority we the Conway people fall behind the line or duf tail in like the union. To protect the workers seniority. Ah maybe We should have joined the union. The supervisors well go first has soon they figure out the system then the employees that are not favorable so bad news you got to start kissing all over again. But good luck to all.