XPO | Just my thought on the end of Conway as we know it.

CF had many companies over the years. Remember it was even in manufacturing for a while with the Freightliners. Bad economy, deregulation, bad decisions and union strikes helped bury the company. All of the companies under CF used CF's money but over the years CF had a lot of losses. Con-Way has had nearly straight gains/net profits until recently. People want to pinpoint CF going bankrupt totally onto Con-Way but CF had money problems for years and when it separated from Con-Way it had an almost clean slate but still couldn't make it.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Consolidated_Freightways_Corp.aspx

u need to go back to the YRC forum and reread the 318 post.
It has nothing to do with UPS.
It is a change of operations 318 is Bollingbrook IL.
Most of the people did not lose there jobs they follow the work keeping the seniority they earned.
That is how a CBA works for you.
Dang talk about getting things screwed up...lol.Bad info.Wasnt UPS...that's funny

CF treatment: Let the employees go home for a holiday weekend without telling everyone the company was no longer. The management running the company into the ground on purpose then jumped ship leaving everyone behind to get off the best way they could.
CF treatment. Bleeding off profitable freight to conway. Paying conways fuel and maintenence bills. Sucking the company dry until it cant recover. That is what conway did to CF.

I agree with almost everything you posted but the part at the end. I have supported my family for 12 years working here. I appreciate the oppurtunity to work for a good wage everyday and I appreciate the respect I am shown by my peers and I hope that I can finish out my working life here. I do not however want the sale to not go through. The people running this company are incompetent and need to go. I feel like we have a chance to grow and be great again under new leadership and as part of a new company.
Maybe it's difficult for me to see that part of it because I've had terrible experiences with other companies in the past INCLUDING FEDEX FREIGHT....so to me I feel like I have it made......im still a junior driver and I make pretty damn good money being one....so i can just imagine what it would be like for me if I was at top rate. I'm hoping for the best as well....but I'm still very happy with what I have right nowm

CF treatment. Bleeding off profitable freight to conway. Paying conways fuel and maintenence bills. Sucking the company dry until it cant recover. That is what conway did to CF.

Since Con-Way starting bringing in profits when CF wasn't, who was paying the bills then? After CF/Con-Way split off CF had a clean slate almost and money. Con-Way was under it's own corp/separate company and had to be bringing in a net profit in order to be spun off. So if the parent was doing badly and CW was doing good before the release then the profits were also going into CF since you're stating all monies were in one pot?
Con-Way did take some of the business, there was some competition in some areas.
But I'm not going to argue the point, it's ingrained the anger that a non-union company spun off a union company and the union company got buried, the employees treated like crap with the way they were let go. But CF had been making bad business decisions for a long time before CW, deregulation hit all union trucking companies very hard, and the economy was bad after Carter being in as president. The long strike did not help either.
I think they tried, saw the writing on the wall, their incompetence and ditched the company.

Nice to see you made it back Skeeter my good friend & brother in the Lord.

Now as far as my posting my 2 cents in this forum.
I come in peace to rally the troops,with the experience of one who has gone through LTL closings & buy-outs.
Like I have posted looking into the past is totally non-productive.

My last Union LTL was Halls Motor Transit,I was in my 18th year,number 2 on the city board,enjoying a lot of vacation.
It was March of 1986 I worked overtime on the Friday before they closed with no idea any change was on the horizon.
I came home from church Sunday,upon coming in my house I heard the phone ringing & ringing,this was before cell phones.
I answered it & hear my Terminal manager,telling me he had some bad news for me.
He said don't come into work in the morning,the company closed their doors midnight Saturday.

So just like that it was over,however instead of crying about it I went to my pastor to discuss my next move,& pray about my future.
He advised me to start putting out applications & get whatever work I could,that God would help me get on someplace.

I followed his advise & put apps in at every LTL in my area,& some were able to give me temporary dock & city work.
In the mean time Overnite rolled into town,to expand their operation into Upstate NY.
They bought the old Halls terminal & I went to apply even though I'd have to take a withdrawl from the Teamsters.

Getting a steady job was worth going non-union,which in the long run worked out just dandy.
Although I did take a big hit on pay,as at that time I was making $13.66 per hour in the union.
Overnite starting wage for city was only $9.22.
The rest is history,I retired from UPS Freight formally Overnite.
I was a UPS safety trainer,number 2 on the city board,with overtime making over $60,000 per year.

There you have it,the only reason I ever look back at the past is to see how God has blessed me.
Any other reason is totally non-productive.
Like I say the reason I'm posting here is to encourage whoever comes to this trucking message board.

I received a Conway letter in the mail talking about the XPO transaction. So Ironic in the use of the letter "X"

I wish nothing but the best for all the friends I made and had to leave behind at Conway.
Conway was the only company to give me a shot right out of driving school some 21 years ago.
IMO...this move was inevitable and a "one more chance" that presented itself to Conway.
I believe UPS tried to buy you guys before Overnite but Conway was just in the beginning to mid stages of diversifying itself.

I feel in the end you guys will be able to offer customers more choices with a diverse portfolio like you see with UPS Freight and FedEx Freight.

Competition is fierce and I think standalone LTL companies are slowly drifting away if they do not look outside their box and diversify themselves. Tap out when they max out seems to be what happens when you reach as far as they can.

Good Luck with the transition. Hopefully XPO will have Q&A session to help ease everyone minds.

The good thing? Atleast no one was let go/laid off around Labor day in September with this announcement...Ironic as well.

Since Con-Way starting bringing in profits when CF wasn't, who was paying the bills then? After CF/Con-Way split off CF had a clean slate almost and money. Con-Way was under it's own corp/separate company and had to be bringing in a net profit in order to be spun off. So if the parent was doing badly and CW was doing good before the release then the profits were also going into CF since you're stating all monies were in one pot?
Con-Way did take some of the business, there was some competition in some areas.
But I'm not going to argue the point, it's ingrained the anger that a non-union company spun off a union company and the union company got buried, the employees treated like crap with the way they were let go. But CF had been making bad business decisions for a long time before CW, deregulation hit all union trucking companies very hard, and the economy was bad after Carter being in as president. The long strike did not help either.
I think they tried, saw the writing on the wall, their incompetence and ditched the company.
Conway certainty indoctrinated you well. Those who were directly involved tell it differently, but you can stick with the con story.

Its not written down. Talk to the people who were there and went thru it. Thats the real truth.
Just like I thought you are just repeating tall tails!
I don't need to talk to bitter old men with an agenda. I've heard these stories for years without any proof.

Just like I thought you are just repeating tall tails!
I don't need to talk to bitter old men with an agenda. I've heard these stories for years without any proof.
Yeah just keep believing the conjob history book. Ive read it. Nice how they feed you that bs when you start there and you buy it hook line and sinker.

You will hear it from me until they give conway the CF treatment
I think you're pissed off because your union sold you down the river and a huge percentage of Conway drivers, when given the chance to unionize rejected the idea. Maybe after this buyout is done and XPO is in da house, and we're kicking the crap out of the union company, you should consider coming to work for us.