TForce | Just What Can The "teamsters" Promise Us?

HEAVY-METAL

TB Lurker
Credits
It's not a secret where I stand on the union. I just want to see what kind of feedback I get to my question. Just straight-up answers. No slamming. No "spin", please.

"What can the union "PROMISE" me? In writing.

I think the question is better asked "How could I benifit from a Teamster contract". When you join the Teamsters, you are telling UPSF that you are represented by a bargaining unit. You should be careful if someone is "promising" you something. Now....with that being said. If a majority of UPSF employees join the union, the union will start the process of contract proposals, ideas that UPSF workers have and want to work by. For example, the overtime after eight hours issue was important back in '99. One of the main goals in organizing UPSF is that the members will be covered under a contract and all work rules, pay, health and welfare, seniority, vacations, holidays, bids, etc are in a legally binding document. If the company doesn't follow contract agreements you have a process, protected by law, to file complaints to rectify the problem. It will be your contract with the company and you control that. DS.

So Far>>>"ZERO"!

Sorry, but you're both wrong. First off, NOT a trick question. Pretty straight forward. "What can the union promise?". D.S.; Your giving me "talking points". I'm asking what "promises are they going to give us to "vote yes" for representation". Not after the fact with a contract. What can they "promise" us to sign cards and then vote yes to get them to represent us.

There are no promises. If UPSF goes on strike they can close the door. That is the truth. There are no promises union or non union. There are no promises in life any one of us could die at anytime. Has anybody at UPSF promises us anything.

Thats a big 10-4 Skull..

every breath we take is a gift from God.
He alone knows when we'll swipe our time card for the last time.

skull said:
There are no promises. If UPSF goes on strike they can close the door. That is the truth. There are no promises union or non union. There are no promises in life any one of us could die at anytime. Has anybody at UPSF promises us anything.

Oh, You mean like when they shut the doors on union companies. It happens to both sides union or not.

HEAVY-METAL said:
Sorry, but you're both wrong. First off, NOT a trick question. Pretty straight forward. "What can the union promise?". D.S.; Your giving me "talking points". I'm asking what "promises are they going to give us to "vote yes" for representation". Not after the fact with a contract. What can they "promise" us to sign cards and then vote yes to get them to represent us.
Hey Heavy......I'm not giving you "talking points", that's how contracts are done. We are dealing with major companys and the government. This isn't a game and thousands of people are involved. The union has to win the majority of votes of the employees. The union should answer your questions about the possible benfits and your rights under the National Labor Relations Act. What ever informantion that comes from the company is in their best intrest. Other than that it's pretty cut and dry. If you have a question, ask. That's what I'm trying to do here. If you don't understand, ask someone else or educate yourself. Being in the union is in your best intrest.......they can't make promises to get you to sign cards. That's up to you. DS.

You're right, DS. The union should answer questions about "possible" benefits. But in reality, many union reps' don't. They say "you'll have this, and you'll have that if you vote us in". You and I know it doesn't work that way. But alot of impressionalable young people who don't know any better will think they're going to be given certain wages and benefits just by bringing in a union. That's what I mean by "promises". Some folks (and the union knows it) will think that if the union says you'll have it, then you'll have it. Written in stone. Again, you and I know it doesn't work that way.

I'm kinda confused now, (that's not hard to do) If we were to vote union in here and they said we were going to be under NMFA, when voted in they can change thier mind? If this is true it changes everyting for me. What info I have read this would not happen, I've worked for a union foodservice co that paid less than temp workers from a temp service, I don't want to be in that situation again. Please give me info to the contrary this could put me on the fence falling to the non union side.

HM,
I think in another thread awhile back you were asking the same thing.....where is "the promise" of this or that? I explained to you back then, as others did too, that it's pretty well understood by us that have been in the Teamsters for many years that UPSF would fit right into the NMFA, since you are a freight operation. If you just have to have a promise, I'm afraid you're out of luck.....it doesn't work that way, as DS explained. DS also gave a good reply to your question. If you guys are to join the Teamsters and get the NMFA, then you'd have set pay and guidelines to be followed by the Company and the workforce. No offense, but the request of a promise seems a little like Skeeter saying he'd vote the Teamsters in if he could get the UPS Package Agreement......a 99% doubtful expectation. Let me ask you this.....would you be happy with the terms of the NMFA? That's what you might want to consider, because I'd bet good money that that's what you guys will end up with, which will be an improvement compared to what you now have. Just something to think about.

Thanks to all that have responded to my post. You have helped prove a point. The union CAN'T promise anything. For the most part, you've all said the same thing. And it's true, UPSF can't "promise" either. Except for one thing. (more of a commitment than a promise). If I follow the rules, and in my case as linehaul, get from point A to point B in a safe and timely manner, then I'll have a job. A good job.
As for the MMFA, I've read some of that "phone-book-sized" contract and saw mostly things that benefit the union. Not the worker. If someone else sees it differently, that's fine. It would be a weird world if everyone thought the same.
Anyway, to each his own. I just want all of us to get a clear picture of everything before making a decision that may be regreted. And for both sides to honest with each other and themselves. Again, no promises.

HM,
Actually, there was no valid point to prove or disprove here. You had to know from the beginning that no Union can legally promise anything and put it in writing. So you assumed that by asking the question (again, I might add) and getting the "answer" that you knew you'd get, your co-workers would suddenly see the light and vote no due to the fact that you'll receive no promises.
It seems to me that you're ducking the questions asked of you by DS and myself. Why? Also, how does the NMFA seem to benefit the Teamsters and not the workers, who are actually one and the same? I'm waiting to hear this one.
You asked and we answered. How about some answers from you now? Do you think you and your co-workers would be better off with the NMFA, which once signed is your "promise", or not?

My question is if we go NMFA, will other NMFA companies be able to be on the UPSF extra board or will only UPSF employees be able to work at UPSF barns?

bamaboy said:
My question is if we go NMFA, will other NMFA companies be able to be on the UPSF extra board or will only UPSF employees be able to work at UPSF barns?
Bamaboy,
Everybody only works for one Company in the NMFA. The only way anybody can work for another NMFA Company is as a casual if he's layed off from his regular employer, and even then he can't work until all of any other Company's employees are either working or have been offered work. He will not go ahead of any other Company's regular employees.

stldude44 said:
HM,
Actually, there was no valid point to prove or disprove here. You had to know from the beginning that no Union can legally promise anything and put it in writing. So you assumed that by asking the question (again, I might add) and getting the "answer" that you knew you'd get, your co-workers would suddenly see the light and vote no due to the fact that you'll receive no promises.
It seems to me that you're ducking the questions asked of you by DS and myself. Why? Also, how does the NMFA seem to benefit the Teamsters and not the workers, who are actually one and the same? I'm waiting to hear this one.
You asked and we answered. How about some answers from you now? Do you think you and your co-workers would be better off with the NMFA, which once signed is your "promise", or not?
Great reply brother. It appears we need to use lil' words for some on here.

Also if they do close the doors, you have the first rights to getting on at another union company,right? If we are non-union then good luck...

Don't you guys realize that when we sign a Union card at this point we are just asking for a negotiation for a contract. The idea is a contract, Union is the avenue. No promises, but a chance for a voice.
Personally all I have heard with UPSF is that I need to give more and more (ie: delay - that's a major issue) without the security of whether my job will be there tomorrow or given to a sleeper team, or our terminal run over, or runs cut, or etc.......:thumbsdown:
Why should I give my time waiting for trailers or a meet when it's the company's fault? What is their incentive to speed it up? I have been paid for delay for the past years until the Edge conversion, then they took it away.:(
What would make me think they would be so willing to give it back without some incentive? Ie: a consolidated effort of a lot of us bound together asking for the same thing. :rolleyes: Gee - could that be a Contract?:duh: