FedEx Freight | Kenworth ride issue

Rattlesnake

TB Lurker
Credits
I have been reluctant to make this announcement but I will delve into it to see if there is much interest.

There is a major research project taking place to make modifications on the Kenworth T-800 tractors that we have had so much ride related issues with. Many drivers have already been blessed with a new Volvo and have washed their hands with the KW's. For those who have still many miles and many years to suffer the ride, there is Hope.

My tractor and two others at Charlotte now ride much better and we are still working with Holland Corporation and Kenworth to tune and tweek the ride. My tractor does NOT ride anything like a VN Volvo, BUT it has been improved greatly.
Two KW reps from Washington met with me at CLT and one rode with me on a 538 mile trip after a modification to the cab suspension system.
A suspension engineer from Holland Corporation ( Neway) who is very devoted to rectifying this problem,has been down to CLT and met with me twice and made two trips with me. A FXF unit was tested at a design facility in Michigan with ride engineers. Special shocks were designed.The main modification has been with the pistons inside the air bags which have been totally changed. I do not want to go into too much detail as I am not sure of any proprietory matters with patents or trade secrets.

I will just leave it at that for now. It is the best thing that has happened in this matter. You will be kinda surprised at how it feels to drive one of these units without bouncing and banging all over the road.

I guess you could say it keeps the old rattler from rattlin' as bad !
Glad to hear they are helpin' you out Rattlesnake. Where the heck ya been hidin' out at?

Way to go Rattlesnake you did well keep us posted as well as you can , this is the first I have heard about the changes , I'm thinking that our shop knows nothing about this .

Smokestack said:
Way to go Rattlesnake you did well keep us posted as well as you can , this is the first I have heard about the changes , I'm thinking that our shop knows nothing about this .
The Charlotte shop is probably the only one so far that is aware of this. Hopefully, when we can get the cab system and the suspension on the axle tuned together best, there will be a major campaign to retro-fit all the T-800's.Hopefully.

hillbilly frog said:
I guess you could say it keeps the old rattler from rattlin' as bad !
Glad to hear they are helpin' you out Rattlesnake. Where the heck ya been hidin' out at?
Thanks alot...I been hidin' out down at the lilly pond waitin' waiting for lunch to hop along.

My T 800 rides very well out west 155 inch wheele base and two air bags suspetion solid cab I have 125000 miles on it it's just getting broke in.The slideing fifth wheele works great also.The Elderado seat helps too.

top cat said:
My T 800 rides very well out west 155 inch wheele base and two air bags suspetion solid cab I have 125000 miles on it it's just getting broke in.The slideing fifth wheele works great also.The Elderado seat helps too.
My 2005 t-800( that I had for 2 years) rode so bad that it put me on workers comp. with back and neck issues. I have been off work for 2 months and I have alot of pain. That truck was a spring ride, not an air ride. I sure wish that the company would have called in Kenworth to fix the problem with these.

When you find out how you got KW to listen to you, let us in the West know so we can use it to do the same. The air rides are fine out here. The 170 series, with leaf springs, purchased in 2004, however are slowly crippling those of us who have no choice but to drive them or go on disability. Any one who drives one has nearly an identical series of symptoms. Most of us are now using so much pain meds we are supporting the otc drug exec's next vacation to the Bahamas. Maybe KW has bought stock in those companies. Good luck.

Buying (or building) a truck now days without air ride is just stupid... Its like buying a new car with no AC...
I remember riding with my Dad so many years on the old roads,, before air ride,,, its just rediculous now days to do without it...