Keystone pipeline won’t use U.S. steel despite Trump pledge

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Magoo, Mar 4, 2017.

1. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

Not a whole lot different from driving through South Jersey or West Virginia...

2. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

Yep. The majority of them don't care about their property, their houses, or much less anything else. Usually good people, but those on the reservations could usually care less about anything.
    I always joke and say that I grabbed the only good Squaw available, and got her out of there.:biglaugh:

{She never lived on a reservation, her parents were business owners. We grew up an hour away from the res.}

henry j likes this.
  3. buffalobill

buffalobill Well-Known Member

The rez in wny is full of good fishing and at trails, but I've heard stories that they ain't too fond of sharing. ....

4. henry j

henry j Banned

I've always said it's OK to be poor, to have to live with less, but that don't mean you can't pick up the trash in your own yard. Make a pile and burn it, chop down the tall weeds and get rid of the junk. Our local scrap yard has an ad in the paper every week offering to tow away junk cars and metal yard junk for free and pay the going per pound price for scrap steel. As I said, I live only about 5 miles from the nearest rez and there's not much of a crime problem off the rez but they have a lot of problems on it. Same old story with the booze, but the way bigger problem now is drugs. A lot of the SNAP cards (food stamp money) is traded for cash to go buy drugs. That's sad because then the kids and old people that depend on the food aid suffer. Damn drugs have ruined so many lives, every race, rich and poor, city and country. I never could understand why people even start or experiment with the stuff, fully knowing what it has done to some of their friends or even relatives. I must be the 1% that has never done any of it. I just hope what Trump is trying to do will at least slow down the flow of drugs that's destroying so many otherwise good people. Even a couple of my friends at Holland got caught up in it and eventually were fired after 2nd chance. They disappeared. Don't know what became of them. Sad.

Northern Flash and buffalobill like this.
  5. ABFer

Wait a minute...they live in their own 'nation', pay no federal taxes AND collect federal subsidies?

6. slavenomore

slavenomore US Gov Hears Foreign Corps More Than Nonunions

7. Northern Flash

Yep. That would be correct.
    :17113:

A high school friend of mine (Indian) used to rub it in our faces that he didn't have to pay income taxes. At least he always worked though.

henry j likes this.
  8. ABFer

HAHAHA Mr. Magoo's got nothing on them then!

Rastus likes this.
  9. Northern Flash

For sure.
    The working class is paying the bill for all of the above.

10. Northern Flash

Same here.
    I've always said that the poor people must think that being poor gives them an excuse for being a pig. Water and a bar of soap isn't that expensive.

henry j likes this.
  11. Northern Flash

Since we've been talking about this American steel issue, I've been paying more attention to the steel moving up and down the expressways. Dang, there is a lot of steel moving around in all directions. I hope to see more of it as Trump's demands get met. More jobs in the steel industry, more driving jobs.......
    :1036316054:

henry j likes this.
  12. buffalobill

Hauling steel is a pretty good job too. There's a place in Buffalo that delivers to us, they run b trains and 6 axle sleds between buffalo, detroit, and chicago. Lots of their guys making 80 to 100k a year.

henry j and Northern Flash like this.
  13. henry j

henry j Banned

Right, and a little sweat and exercise picking up the junk and trash in their yard would do them a world of good, too. It would give them more self-esteem, more self gratification of actually accomplishing something positive in their life - even if it's just making their own yard look better. If THEY do it, who knows, maybe it would catch on with others nearby in the rez. And it's all free. Then if they only realized that that junk car (or cars) , and other rusting metal, that has been sitting there for years is actually worth money, that would be removed, too, usually by scrap dealers willing to come and get it. It would be nice to see that the money from the recycled metal stuff being used for some paint on the houses, but with the drug epidemic getting bigger and bigger, that's unlikely to ever happen. There are some good well-meaning leaders of some Indian bands and reservations, but they have a near-impossible job. The solution is not to just throw more gov't money at the problem. The change has to come from the Indian bands themselves and nobody seems to know what to do. I guess it's just a reflection of what is happening in much of our Federal and state governments. When a strong leader DOES come along, willing to do what needs to be done, he or she is vilified, shouted down and "run out of town" by those who want the uncontrolled chaos and drug use to go on. It's sad, considering what's possible if people just cooperated and worked together for a change for a common good.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Northern Flash likes this.
  14. Northern Flash

Yep. Trump is being vilified for wanting positive change. The dumbing down of society has made this crustiness more acceptable. Pretty sad.
    And you're right, throwing more money at it cures nothing, the mentally has to be changed first.

buffalobill and henry j like this.
  15. henry j

henry j Banned

Yes, they collect payments, but I don't think they're called "subsidies". Northern Flash can best answer that question.
    I personally do believe that they are entitled to some payments, since every square inch of this land was once theirs. With DNA testing now, it is possible to know just who is a real decedent of tribe and who is a "faker" just claiming it for personal gain. (like Elisabeth "Pocahontas" Warren) who lied about being an Indian to get votes in Mass.

16. henry j

henry j Banned

Canada can have the "American Dream" of all the illegals streaming across out southern border. The Dems like to call them "Dreamers". Canada's leader Trudeau said about a month ago that Canada would be happy to take all the refugees that wouldn't be accepted in the USA. Now, after that remark on all the News Networks, that's exactly what's happening. Thousands of illegals (undocumented as the Dems like to call them) are crossing into Canada at some of the undermanned US/Canada border crossing or even walking up the railroad tracks, crossing into Canada as refugees. NOW Canadian officials don't like it. I say hold the Canadian leader to his word about happily taking all those that want to come. Use buses, trains, planes, whatever to get the "Dreamers" to the Canadian border, just like the Mexican gov't is doing down south to get their "Dreamers" to our border.
    The article says that the Canadian citizens are the "6th happiest people on the planet". That's gonna change in a hurry when millions of illegal and undocumented people arrive in Canada, all wanting to be supported by Canadian taxpayers. Trudeau DID SAY Canada would welcome them all..... so...... Welcome to the REAL WORLD Canada !
    Make sure some of your new illegal immigrants are sent to live with Mr Trudeau in his home.

17. slavenomore

slavenomore US Gov Hears Foreign Corps More Than Nonunions

Yes. let them have the dream...I just want them to sell US steel for the pipeline like Trump said..and not use any foreign junk they already bought.

18. henry j

henry j Banned

Yup - Even old clothes are OK with me. when washed, they are more comfortable than new ones. They'er "broke in". I still wear my 25 year old Carhart jacket, my old jeans, and my equally old Levi denim jacket all the time. they're clean, comfortable and they have "character" unlike the new stuff ! Old boots are something I just HATE to throw away. It takes years of everyday wear to get them felling "just right" - then they fall apart. Damn.

19. henry j

henry j Banned

Yes, I agree, but what about the piles of oil pipeline pipe that already bought, been shipped and is now sitting in storage collection sites along the proposed pipeline routes. Obama had no objection about China dumping cheaper steel onto the US market during HIS 8 years in office, so the foreign made steel pipe is here. As long as it meets quality standards, let's use it. Just 20 miles north of where I live there is a huge storage facility sitting on leased land holding piles of new pipe that was destined to be used on the Sandpiper pipeline destined to turn south and end up just east of St Louis, MO Enbridge Energy has already paid for the piles of pipe that was bought and shipped from China and Japan during the Obama term in office. It came up to Duluth through the Great Lakes on ships, then was trucked to the storage sites. It's still sitting there - a LOT of it. Since THAT pipe is already here and paid for, we have to use that first. That will help get the US steel mills back on line to produce US made pipe AFTER the existing pipe is used up. Th mills need some time to re-hire, re-train and re-tool their mills anyhow. Some have been just sitting, collecting dust for years. Many of the former steel workers have died, moved on or are just too old to come back. New people have to be trained at a dangerous and demanding job.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Northern Flash and buffalobill like this.
  20. buffalobill

You can buy pre-whopped out clothes now, even at tractor supply. Those rich kids that want to look like they actually work on stuff love em.

henry j likes this.