Yellow | Laid off

blondie1

TB Lurker
Credits
Is it written in the contract that if a laid off signed up to work has to answer the first day of the new week call! Just got a letter for 22:00 saturday night! Have been told it's a fact and had to sign the letter. Take your name off and they won't call you for that week. Then sign back up. Need to see what article, section, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a road driver, I was laid-off 2 times in my first 2 years(5 months each time) and I signed up for road, city, dock. I never worked the city or dock, but I was called for city the very first day of lay-off and did not answer. No warning letters. I believe it goes this way: If you take workcall and work, then you owe the company 5 punches total or the end of the H/W week comes and you start over with no obligations. If H/W week starts monday at 00:00 and ends at sunday00:00 that is the only period you are obligated to give them their punches. If they call you for work saturday and work past midnight into sunday, I believe you do NOT have an obligation to them until you punch in during the next H/W week. I hope this helps , and I'm correct, if not someone will correct me. I was using the H/W period as an assumption to make a point ,it may start and end at different times than I have shown.

Sounds like things have really changed since I had a layoff but I do think you need to be a little bit more specific as to where you work to get the best answers. Could be wrong here so please correct me if so ,but I believe that these matters are governed differently according to state laws and local union contract suplements.
They just seem to want it all as of late,DONT THEY!

At the terminal that I used to work at (don't work for Roadway anymore, or any freight company) if you signed up to work you were eligible to receive all work calls for the week you signed up for. Except if they didn't call you by noon, and you called them to see if they were going to use you or not. If they said no, you could scratch yourself for that day, but when the new day started you were once again eligible. As for as this saying so in the contract I don't know where or if it does, this is how it was done where I worked.

Read Article 43, Section 3(b) of the Local Cartage contract in Central States. The language is pretty clear there. They have been doing it here for a long time. It is the same as the prior contract.

Good question, blondie1. Most layoff language will be found in your supplement. I would check that and give your Steward and BA a call for the specifics. DS.