Pitt-Ohio | laid off

kjj1934

TB Lurker
Credits
just got laid off road ,lucky i got to keep seniority and go back to city also 3 bottom city guys got forced to dock at dock pay or had to take layoff

I understand your feeling's, and in the last 13 year's they have alway's been able to keep everyone busy. These are not ordinary time's, read some of the other board's, alot have been laying off month's ago. I know this was a last resort and not an easy thing for them to do.

you also have to realize, we dont have government jobs where we can come to work and get paid to do nothing,we have to actually work for our money, if the company doesnt have the work, they cant pay you to come to work and do nothing, they will go bankrupt, they are doing the best they can, at least we are still getting full rate, and benefits, unlike the union guys who have to give back 10%, it sucks to get laid off, the whole economy is in shambles,its going to get worse before it gets any better

POE are good people, but they seem to have and old school outlook. After the raises last year what the guys at my barn concluded was that POE as a whole didn't care about anyone but the 3yr plus guys. This feeling is still getting around after the lay offs. Same policies no help for the newer guys or even the guys on the bottom of the list no matter how long they been there. People still getting 50-60 while others getting less than 40. This can be addressed but PGH will not have anything to do with it. Its all about protecting their old employees. I am not saying thats not right because it is but we all a stake in this for one reason or another.. When was the last time anyone saw Corporate at a Term other than safety? not us Some of the Line haul have seen them at other Terms but not one visit in over 4yrs to my knowledge. Chucky if he cares as much as his Tms say he does would make the rounds to talk to some or all of us. Theres not a Term over 1 days drive from PGH most of them can be done in a turn.
Just a few things from a less than 3yr employee,but working on 3 with 9 months to go if I make it HAHA doesn't look like it!!!! But then again there is alot of us like that no matter who they work for. I pray things will get better and we all have jobs, that all of us.

Pitt Ohio is old school, and does look out for the people that helped them get where they are today. We use to have yearly meeting's with chuck, but we have grown to a point beyond time. There are 23 terminals, he has other commitment's, doing them the way they use to, 3-4 terminal's meeting in a central location, that's 6 week's of meeting's and traveling along with his regular duties. Did I mention they would be done on the weekend, so the interested people will be the one's that show up. Seniority should count for something even in a non union shop, and here it does, most of the time. lol Try not think of it as being held down for three year's, most place's don't start someone at top rate. They give you top rate after you have shown you want to be a long term employee. Union's top out after 3 yrs also, I think, most good companies will not give you top rate in the door. Anyway to my fellow worker's, time's are tough, hope we all survive

I was laid off Friday morning, was not really surprised. Two of us told to wait till 7AM for a meeting with the tm. After seeing all the changes going on the dock, I knew what it was gonna be about. Fedex11, who was the third driver let go? I'm alright with it, the other driver took it a little harder.

The long term employee isn't the question but as the company grows it must emerge from old school and look into the future. Survival is the key, I get that and I understand what has to be done at this time. I have been trucking for 20+ years so I understand trucking, the ups and downs. What I said was giving your top pay guys a raise and not the others is one sided,not balancing out hrs for employees gives bad feeling for everyone getting short changed, just look at some other post on other carriers, its not only happening here, I have no idea what Corp. does because the only word we get is from the TM and he gets his information from an E-Mail a show of faith from someone with a personal appearance from PGH is a sure way to save the faith of many employees.
The lay offs are understandable and I am sure that most feel the same way that its not by choice but necessity.

We just had 4 road drivers in clv laid off last week.2 city guys crossed over to the road so i guess you could say we only lost 2 but it still wasn't good. I only hope we can hang on till all this stuff works its self out.

The company that prides it self on being union free and "never lays off" laid off.Welcome to the real world!

You dont get it do you.......The economy is down the toilet...there is only enough frt out there for half the trucking companies that are still running and you think that layoffs are a wrong decision??? pick up the want ads and look at the many possibilities for employment....it isnt there.....wake up will ya...

You dont get it do you.......The economy is down the toilet...there is only enough frt out there for half the trucking companies that are still running and you think that layoffs are a wrong decision??? pick up the want ads and look at the many possibilities for employment....it isnt there.....wake up will ya...

If your are referring to Moparman he is registered as a Rdwy driver so he knows. he is going from company to company commenting on others having problems too.

If you are meaning me I am not employeed with Pitt at this time. I got mine Fri. and I completely understand.

If your are referring to Moparman he is registered as a Rdwy driver so he knows. he is going from company to company commenting on others having problems too.

If you are meaning me I am not employeed with Pitt at this time. I got mine Fri. and I completely understand.

Sorry to here about your layoff, you made it two weeks longer than I did. Any idea how many were let go this time? Well, the government finally passed the stimulus, hopefully it will turn the economy around. Kind of feels like we are entering another depression.

sorry Fr8rookie....it was a kneejerk reaction to moparman.....I know it isnt easy being layed off and not easy to have a good attitude about it either....but every morning i go in to the terminal and hear just stupid stuff comming out of peoples mouths and i get tired of it.....Ive been there awhile and i am doing things i dont want, but its keeping me working and I see people complaining about doing things other than their bid, but it keeps them working and they act like primaddona's like everyone else should tighten up but they dont have to.......okay i spoke my mind....i'm done thanks.....

Schooner, venting is what this is all about. This lay off has no name to it, what I mean is there is no one at Pitt that caused this problem, hell the same thing go for most other companies too. Our great government is at the bottom of this, the blame is theirs but we are the fall guys for it.

The biggest problem with what is going on at Pitt is they are not experienced with low freight volumes, they have been growing and this slow down has caused a tail spin. They really have a hard time cutting anyone but the senior guys have had it so easy they give them to much weight in making decisions,so cut,cut,cut is all they understand to keep those senior guys happy.. It will bite them soon because things will get better and those senior guys won't be willing to do everything they want. You may be a senior guy and I don't mean to step on your toes but I think by your post you understand this.
The Pitt people are good people and I hope I can go back but only time will tell.

Hang in there it will get better like before .

Sorry to here about your layoff, you made it two weeks longer than I did. Any idea how many were let go this time? Well, the government finally passed the stimulus, hopefully it will turn the economy around. Kind of feels like we are entering another depression.

I really don't know but I was told it was company wide with all terminals. I would say it will be about the same numbers as before. Hard to say because of the seniority list, including the dock.

I don't know what terminal you work at, but where I work the senior people do not get all the hour's. In fact, dispatch and the planner in assigning book's check's the hour's for each driver. Not to balance the hour's but more to control overtime. The same reason there are at least 3 road driver's a day doing city run's in the morning. Cheap labor that would cause the city man OT. Right now they are trying everything to control cost, and I agree. If you have been around for any length of time, you know when it's busy hour's are not an issue. Right now anything and everything is being done to get through this. I hate it that some of our guy's have been laid off. Hope it is short and those that want, get a call back.

Well I guess its the same at your terminal, the line haul guys are the chosen people, get top pay from both city and linehaul can't beat that with a stick can ya.
I get it and understand ,said that before but these people do things alot different than most non-union carriers.
Linehaul ,work the dock, do P&D routes and their nitely run, why ya need city drivers I guess the linehaul angels are really the saviors. Yeah I guess it the way they have always done it.. This has been going on before the slow down and still continues.

By the way Catfish do you work city ,linehaul,office or corp.?? I was a city driver.