ODFL | Lane Departure Warning System

Beeman

TB Lurker
Credits
I've now gotten to experience the new Iteris system for myself. I do understand the usefulness of this system but I do have my doubts about it. I can see in a daycab where it would be a minor annoyance to some much like wearing a seatbelt but could possibly stop an accident. Driving team in a sleeper cab it's more than an annoyance to the driver. It's tough enough to attempt to get adequate rest in a moving truck but add this to trying to sleep and it becomes impossible when the system goes off as it is loud. Possibly a volume control or better placement of the speakers in a sleeper cab might have been an improvement. The system is very sensitive and just getting near a line causes it to go off. Pushing the cancel button while driving thru construction or when a wide load is passing seems to be more dangerous than if their was no system. There are also many stray lines on roads from previous construction that set it off also. I hear a lot of talk of drivers doing everything they can to shut it off and I'm guessing many are breaking things in these attempts.
Before installing a system like this I would think making hands free headsets for cell phone users mandatory would have been a better first step.

Kind of my thoughts to. I liked it improves some sloppy driving habits. Headphones are great and saves on the elbow callous.

FlyByWire said:
I hope I dont have to run P&D with one of these things...... sheesh!

Will not engage below 37 MPH. You probably wont mind it it is only slightly annoying at most. Wait till the Get the vehicle proximity sensor.

Most states are enforcing motorist's to use hands free devises while driving.Plantronics are my fav!

vehicle sensors

Will not engage below 37 MPH. You probably wont mind it it is only slightly annoying at most. Wait till the Get the vehicle proximity sensor.
They tested them about 4 years ago in GBO and nobody thought they were of any help.This lane tracker thing is annoying but not like those vehicle sensors were.

When you get in the truck push the cancel button 14 times in a row. This cancels it out for the amount of time ignition switch is on. When you restart truck you will have to disable it again.

iteris

this iteris stuff is junk ive drove three trucks with it and none of the worked like it should they go off even when your not close to the line truck 6094 goes of when the windshield wiper goes in front of the sensor

I saw a memo posted from B Stoddard to all safety personnel and terminal managers about the lane departure system. It basically said that many have been disabling the system and that they should start checking and anyone caught disabling it is subject to termination.
Just a heads up but they spent a bundle on it and somebody is going to get the gong over this when caught to make an example.

the system can be an annoyance but sometimes i find the system is funny because it sounds like the truck is passing gas. :hysterical: