Estes | Lasagna is not the problem

thank GOD I don't I get paid for everything that i do know so I don't have that stress but all my FRIENDS that work there still get screwed by YES MR. Estes.I guess they need to be like you!! but this one driver who has been there over 30years got screwed for his chaining and out of route miles so keep up the good workCJ driver Rob is proud of you!!!

Lol, your funny. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I bet R.E. lays awake at night thinking of ways to screw your friends. :biglaugh:

Probably because they are over 100 miles OOR. That would be my guess. I was told that was the reason I couldn't go OOR on a run before. I am away from home enough that I would rather stay home if that were the case.

I am going to explain why you cant go OOR over 100 miles.
Lets say you make .50 cpm. 100 miles equals 50.00$ you sitting in your truck on a closed road for 4 hours cost them nothing. Even if they have to shut you down the motel cost is less than paying you to get the freight to destination terminal by OOR of 100 miles. My time is worth something, just like everyother employee at E and that is why I should be paid for sitting and waiting. P@D gets delayed due to road closure and they are getting paid thier hourly rate. WHY NOT YOU CJ ?????? :Bondage:

Seriously...

Instead of us, including me, getting back to bickering, here's my reasoning through the chain/oor/motel stuff.

When it's once in awhile that there is a weather event, I don't have a problem with shutdown. Customers for the most part understand that mother nature can and will delay shipments once in awhile.

But when for instance the west coast storms that have been going on, I don't understand why going oor and having to stay overnight is bad for the company/driver. Yeah the company has to pay the miles, motel etc., and the driver has a night away from home, which sucks but keeps paying the bills. By doing this when there's a bad winter or such, it boosts your reputation tremendously in the eyes of the customers, therefore boosting your sales and it just means doing things right.

We could sit here and argue all the time, which we, including I do. But I think there comes a time when ownership and us employees need to take the extra step to ensure the nature of our business shines through even if it costs us.

Customer service is supposed to be number 1, but when we don't even have leadership to lead the way, even us minions get negative on the whole idea. We all have our shortfalls, maybe we can start from the bottom, and Rob can start from the top to start changing the attitude and pay problems here. Then maybe there would be a chance to meet in the middle and get things back on track.

My time is worth something, just like everyother employee at E and that is why I should be paid for sitting and waiting. P@D gets delayed due to road closure and they are getting paid thier hourly rate. WHY NOT YOU CJ ??????

My time is worth something as well. I never sit on a highway because it is closed. I make sure that doesn't happen. I would rather sit/sleep/surf the net in a room for a few extra hours than go battle mother nature with all the other folks. So, no E shouldn't pay me for that.

Keep in mind I am not on a bid run. If the road is closed in one direction, I can always go the other way if the freight is there.

I have to wonder, do you blindly go on your bid run without checking the weather/road conditions ? I don't and never will.

Honestly, how many times does a P&D driver get stuck someplace because of a road closure ? I bet it is pretty rare.

I used to run a 350 mile route out to Central OR and back every other day. I always made it back. In P&D you are not required to take certain routes. Just be back before your 14. Apples and Oranges

I want to get something outta the way here. I am not a big fan of Estes. I do, however, like my job - truck driving. I am going to go out there and do my job to to the best of my ability. Not screw myself or the company I work for. I have been here for 11 years, I have no desire or need to quit this job and look for another because right now this one fits the bill. When that changes so will I. :smilie_132:

MTHelmet said:
We could sit here and argue all the time, which we, including I do. But I think there comes a time when ownership and us employees need to take the extra step to ensure the nature of our business shines through even if it costs us. Customer service is supposed to be number 1, but when we don't even have leadership to lead the way, even us minions get negative on the whole idea. We all have our shortfalls, maybe we can start from the bottom, and Rob can start from the top to start changing the attitude and pay problems here. Then maybe there would be a chance to meet in the middle and get things back on track.

That is one thing we can agree on. :1036316054: I hope it does happen but, I kinda doubt that it will happen. I'll probably leave before that. My longterm plans don't involve Estes.

My time is worth something as well. I never sit on a highway because it is closed. I make sure that doesn't happen. I would rather sit/sleep/surf the net in a room for a few extra hours than go battle mother nature with all the other folks. So, no E shouldn't pay me for that.

Keep in mind I am not on a bid run. If the road is closed in one direction, I can always go the other way if the freight is there.

I have to wonder, do you blindly go on your bid run without checking the weather/road conditions ? I don't and never will.
The biggest problem is...check the weather, call dispatch and then get told to take the chance anyway. Get to the chain up area and get the hill shutdown. If you're told to run then get shutdown on the road, it is ABSOLUTELY Estes responsibility to pay. Pay hotel, food, and any time past 10 hours lay down. As any OTR/LTL driver can bear witness to, weather reports aren't always right and dispatch is never right. And you don't always have the choice of sitting on the highway, usually it's law enforcement telling you to sit, not yourself.

Common sense plays the biggest part here, but if you're told to take the chance on the run even after telling them of current weather conditions, then they by all means should pay! Even if the skies are clear and a freak storm shuts you down, they should pay. It's part of the risk by both the company and the driver to be out there, the company should take responsibility for the time you put in for them, their fault or not.

Seriously...

Instead of us, including me, getting back to bickering, here's my reasoning through the chain/oor/motel stuff.

When it's once in awhile that there is a weather event, I don't have a problem with shutdown. Customers for the most part understand that mother nature can and will delay shipments once in awhile.

But when for instance the west coast storms that have been going on, I don't understand why going oor and having to stay overnight is bad for the company/driver. Yeah the company has to pay the miles, motel etc., and the driver has a night away from home, which sucks but keeps paying the bills. By doing this when there's a bad winter or such, it boosts your reputation tremendously in the eyes of the customers, therefore boosting your sales and it just means doing things right.

We could sit here and argue all the time, which we, including I do. But I think there comes a time when ownership and us employees need to take the extra step to ensure the nature of our business shines through even if it costs us.

Customer service is supposed to be number 1, but when we don't even have leadership to lead the way, even us minions get negative on the whole idea. We all have our shortfalls, maybe we can start from the bottom, and Rob can start from the top to start changing the attitude and pay problems here. Then maybe there would be a chance to meet in the middle and get things back on track.

I couldn't agree more. :1036316054:

Common sense plays the biggest part here, but if you're told to take the chance on the run even after telling them of current weather conditions, then they by all means should pay! Even if the skies are clear and a freak storm shuts you down, they should pay. It's part of the risk by both the company and the driver to be out there, the company should take responsibility for the time you put in for them, their fault or not.

I do agree with that. If they tell you to go and wait for it to open or run even if nasty weather is forcasted. Then you run out of hours. They should pay R&B + a per diem for the day. However, they have never told me to go and wait it out and I always seem to manage to make it thru. Maybe I have just been lucky ?

Hi there, I have been monitoring this forum and now I feel it is time for me to share my opinions. I feel that many of you drivers who work out of 135 as well as other terminals,have a problem with a certain driver bringing wonderful food(lasagna) for the dispatchers to enjoy. The problem is not the lasagna guys,the problem IS jealousy.
Lets be honest,any driver who can consistantly run 3200 to 3500 miles per week during this slow period should be admired,not ridiculed. Rob Estes has blessed all of us with one of the highest pay scales in the LTL buisness,as well we have an awsome benifit package. We all know that dispatchers are among the lowest paid and least appreciated of employees. What this driver has demonstrated is his willingness to share with others. This is a sign of being a good CHRISTIAN and nothing else.
In closing,it is my belief that all of us should follow this fine mans example and do as he does. Instead of creating a problem where none exist,we should all strive to be better culinary artist. There are plenty of resources out there on the internet as well as on tv. One of my favorite shows is throwdown with Bobby Flay. Let's all share our blessing with our dispatchers and terminal managers and make Estes Express Lines the envy of all other LTL companies. :smilie_132:

Please teach me your secrets!!!!!!!!

Hi there, I have been monitoring this forum and now I feel it is time for me to share my opinions. I feel that many of you drivers who work out of 135 as well as other terminals,have a problem with a certain driver bringing wonderful food(lasagna) for the dispatchers to enjoy. The problem is not the lasagna guys,the problem IS jealousy.
Lets be honest,any driver who can consistantly run 3200 to 3500 miles per week during this slow period should be admired,not ridiculed. Rob Estes has blessed all of us with one of the highest pay scales in the LTL buisness,as well we have an awsome benifit package. We all know that dispatchers are among the lowest paid and least appreciated of employees. What this driver has demonstrated is his willingness to share with others. This is a sign of being a good CHRISTIAN and nothing else.
In closing,it is my belief that all of us should follow this fine mans example and do as he does. Instead of creating a problem where none exist,we should all strive to be better culinary artist. There are plenty of resources out there on the internet as well as on tv. One of my favorite shows is throwdown with Bobby Flay. Let's all share our blessing with our dispatchers and terminal managers and make Estes Express Lines the envy of all other LTL companies. :smilie_132:

Yeah give me 3200 to 3500 miles a week and i will keep my mouth shut guess only :butt kiss: get those kind of runs

Slinging some more BS around EH ? I get paid everytime I throw chains on my tractor or take them off. I also get paid my out of route miles EVERYTIME I take a different route. Everyone up here in the NW always gets paid those things as well.

I can chain up in half an hour - thats $12
I can unchain in 10-15 mins thats $10

Seems fair to me.

LH (I'm talking central dispatch here)has to know that you are going to take a different route BEFORE you take it. I always suggest alternative routes if the regular route is closed. If they don't want you to go they will tell you. They don't want you going more than 100 miles out of route either.

If you don't put it on your trip sheet correctly you won't get paid for it. You need the name of the person you talked to and the total out of route miles. (additional miles to the regular run)

"I didn't get paid to chain - It's Rob E's fault"
"I didn't get paid my out of route miles - It's Rob E's fault."

At some point you have to take responsiblity for yourself and stop blaming someone else because you didn't get what you are entitled to. I have made mistakes on my trip sheet that I had to have fixed. I am not perfect. Payroll isn't perfect. No company I have ever worked for has had a payroll dept. that was perfect. Humans by nature are not perfect.

Oh and by the way, you don't work for GI Trucking anymore. That is a dead horse.

You got the Global warming right, Gotta love those knuckleheads that are still pushing Global Warming and expect all of us to pay for their lame ideas on how to supposedly cure it. :biglaugh:

OMG someone else that can do thier job well and not whine about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am going to dispell some of the BS that is being spewed by MTH right now. if a road is closed due to weather you are paid from the SECOND you are stopped till the SECOND you start rolling. that is a FACT!!!!!!! no if"s ands or buts, i know this because i have used it in the past and when the times comes agian i will use it. all that is needed is that you call central when you stop and tell them the road is closed due to weather, tell them how long you can wait and if the road isnt open in under that time, in my experiance they will turn you around and send you back where you came from. it is real easy and it is YOUR responsibility to do it, not Rob's!

CJ whith a little more practice you will be able to throw iron on in 15 min and take them off in 7 mins. keep comming to the rokies and you will get that practice i promise :D

also, you have to be kidding me that anyone cant take chains OFF in under 15 min unless you have a chain on every tire of every axle and to my knowledge no state requires that. i do know that cali requires way more chains that are needed and at the most you should only spend 30 mins taking them off.

and on an agreement post MTH you are correct about global warming it is a CROCK :D

OMG someone else that can do thier job well and not whine about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am going to dispell some of the BS that is being spewed by MTH right now. if a road is closed due to weather you are paid from the SECOND you are stopped till the SECOND you start rolling. that is a FACT!!!!!!! no if"s ands or buts, i know this because i have used it in the past and when the times comes agian i will use it. all that is needed is that you call central when you stop and tell them the road is closed due to weather, tell them how long you can wait and if the road isnt open in under that time, in my experiance they will turn you around and send you back where you came from. it is real easy and it is YOUR responsibility to do it, not Rob's!

CJ whith a little more practice you will be able to throw iron on in 15 min and take them off in 7 mins. keep comming to the rokies and you will get that practice i promise :D

also, you have to be kidding me that anyone cant take chains OFF in under 15 min unless you have a chain on every tire of every axle and to my knowledge no state requires that. i do know that cali requires way more chains that are needed and at the most you should only spend 30 mins taking them off.

and on an agreement post MTH you are correct about global warming it is a CROCK :D
If this is the case talk to the 2 LVS drivers who sat up on I-15 at mountain pass awhile back because of a road closure.Couldn't go forward or turn around and go back. They sat up there for like 10 or 11 hours and didn't get paid a dime.Took their complaint all the way up the chain of command and still not a cent of compensation.

hmmm really? well i find that odd that i have not heard anything about that. and what mountian pass would that be on i-15 i dont recall any mountians. also did they put it on thier trip card and write in the comments section road closed due to weather?? road closed will not work.

here is a saying to live by: dont work for the system, make the system work for you.

if you know the rules you can make anything happen :D

and please tell me the names of the LVS guys that this has happened to. i would like to call them, they are probably already in my phone :D :biglaugh:

hmmm really? well i find that odd that i have not heard anything about that. and what mountian pass would that be on i-15 i dont recall any mountians. also did they put it on thier trip card and write in the comments section road closed due to weather?? road closed will not work.

here is a saying to live by: dont work for the system, make the system work for you.

if you know the rules you can make anything happen

and please tell me the names of the LVS guys that this has happened to. i would like to call them, they are probably already in my phone

:chairshot:click your heels twice and go to kansas (no mountains)

i15 has mountains, drive it some day. Please do so in your car though, need safety on the road.

And, this is the first i've heard of NO pay for sitting, but things aren't all rosie like you try to portray. Every situation is different, and if i'm on the road and a law man says sit, i sit. that's it! And I'm lucky if i get pay after 2 hours. And if you're stuck in the area due to mother nature Estes SHOULD pay your hotel, etc. COST OF DOING BUSINESS:chairshot:

If this is the case talk to the 2 LVS drivers who sat up on I-15 at mountain pass awhile back because of a road closure.Couldn't go forward or turn around and go back. They sat up there for like 10 or 11 hours and didn't get paid a dime.Took their complaint all the way up the chain of command and still not a cent of compensation.
Let's see if jimbob can open a map book, do google earth, or look at a relief map. No mountains on I-15? Hmm, no hills in the sierras either huh?:biglaugh:

Where on I-15 ? What were the conditions ? It makes a big difference if you are trying to prove a point here. There has to be other details that you or I don't know. Your comment is pretty generic.

Jimbob said:
if a road is closed due to weather you are paid from the SECOND you are stopped till the SECOND you start rolling. that is a FACT!!!!!!! no if"s ands or buts

This is true, a friend of mine that works here got that same type of compensation week before last during a winter storm.

100 miles north of San Diego is Cajon pass on I 15. I know it closed a few times in the last few weeks, and it is a mtn.. I asked around and I 15 Utah and Idaho closed last week for a few days.
As far as getting paid we all know our payroll is one of the worst operated in our industry. I know of people who have sat on breakdown for 3 hours and where paid 1/2 hour due to linehaul not recording the time and had to fight for thier pay. I also know of people who have been paid 1 hour for scale inspection and I know more who have not been paid a dime.
So if you are getting paid more power to you but do not think everyone is gettting paid for thier time, because I belive more are not then are.

if you know the rules you can make anything happen :D

and please tell me the names of the LVS guys that this has happened to. i would like to call them, they are probably already in my phone :D :biglaugh:
You have shown your ignorance on this matter JB because !-15 has numerous mountains but the one I refer to is well known grade just prior to leaving Cal as you drop down to the Nev stateline. And I would never give out anybodies name or number on a public forum but if you already have some drivers #s from Lvs just call as this was known by just about everyone. No it wasn't weather related but due to a haz mat spill but shutdown is shutdown in my book.
As far as I was told they both contacted the appropriate people in central,noted it on their timecard and when not payed went up the chain of command as far as Wayne Y and JJ.

You have shown your ignorance on this matter JB because !-15 has numerous mountains but the one I refer to is well known grade just prior to leaving Cal as you drop down to the Nev stateline. And I would never give out anybodies name or number on a public forum but if you already have some drivers #s from Lvs just call as this was known by just about everyone. No it wasn't weather related but due to a haz mat spill but shutdown is shutdown in my book.
As far as I was told they both contacted the appropriate people in central,noted it on their timecard and when not payed went up the chain of command as far as Wayne Y and JJ.

well then bud you just answered you onw question. it was not weather related and therefore you are not paid. sorry for my ignorance about south of LVS and the 1 mountian that you super truckers have to run, but to point out ignorance you are the pot and i must be the kettle

Where on I-15 ? What were the conditions ? It makes a big difference if you are trying to prove a point here. There has to be other details that you or I don't know. Your comment is pretty generic.

This is true, a friend of mine that works here got that same type of compensation week before last during a winter storm.

WOW thank you. just another fine example of someone haveing a clear sense of what is really going on in this company as well as speaking the truth

well then bud you just answered you onw question. it was not weather related and therefore you are not paid. sorry for my ignorance about south of LVS and the 1 mountian that you super truckers have to run, but to point out ignorance you are the pot and i must be the kettle
weather, hazmat, accident, shootings, car chases......it doesn't matter what the shutdown is! If you are told to sit by competent authorities like law enforcement, fire, emergency services or the like, it is a shutdown and if you break down, that's just part of doing business. It's not always the company's fault or the drivers fault, but as long as it is not the drivers fault for a shutdown, it's part of the business Estes took on to be responsible for compensation to the employee. If you don't agree, so be it.

All businesses have some sort of situations where employees are delayed or stopped from performing their duties and compensate or continue the person on hourly until the situation resolves. Not a brainstorm here.