ABF | Last man standing

grovercxl

HUH?
Credits
I was always told, at small EOL terminals the junior man on the dock had to finish the outbound even if he was over his 10 hours. I know some of the sage and more "seasoned" members of our board can set me straight as to whether or not this is true. Thanks

I was always told, at small EOL terminals the junior man on the dock had to finish the outbound even if he was over his 10 hours. I know some of the sage and more "seasoned" members of our board can set me straight as to whether or not this is true. Thanks
A senior guy can bump you if he wants to if you are both on OT when he is sent home but otherwise if nobody else wants it you are stuck there. They can also make the next guy up stay even if he is on OT, there is no requirement that only one guy works the outbound.

A senior guy can bump you if he wants to if you are both on OT when he is sent home but otherwise if nobody else wants it you are stuck there. They can also make the next guy up stay even if he is on OT, there is no requirement that only one guy works the outbound.
I thought they could only force one person to stay, with the thought being that they had to be able to move the freight, but the senior of the two (if only two were left on the clock) could go home on his 10 if he wanted to push the issue.

I thought they could only force one person to stay, with the thought being that they had to be able to move the freight, but the senior of the two (if only two were left on the clock) could go home on his 10 if he wanted to push the issue.
Well around here it goes by start time. The last two shifts are the closing shifts and may be required to stay until the work is done. If the last guys started at the same time they could both be required to stay.

Like ABFer said you will be forced, but if this happens on a continuous basis the will have to adjust by hiring or calling someone in a little later to help finish up. If not try filing for excessive overtime....we're having problem at my place with double punching the same day. The company & the union have a agreement for years now that the only way this should happen if their is some type of a emergency, running amazons all night is not a emergency.

Well around here it goes by start time. The last two shifts are the closing shifts and may be required to stay until the work is done. If the last guys started at the same time they could both be required to stay.
What if the guy with the later start time has seniority? I'm not seeing anything in 'The Book' that addresses start times taking precidence over seniority.

What if the guy with the later start time has seniority? I'm not seeing anything in 'The Book' that addresses start times taking precidence over seniority.
If they only need one guy then the senior guy get to choose whether he wants to stay or not. But they can force everyone on the last two shifts. Whether that's 1 person or 20.
And as always your mileage may vary.

I was told the same thing when I started at ABF, and spent MANY MANY evenings moving freight...by myself.

That is the way it is @ 050. About 5 years ago the last shift was working until 4 5 & 6 am Saturday morning. That became old after a couple of years. So most of the shift starting going home sick between 4 & 6 AM. After 3 or 4 weeks of having to call the seniority list on Saturday morning to finish our work they changed things by starting an 8am Saturday shift. We were threatened with Letters & such but we stood together & they changed part of the operation. Turns out they were going to start a Saturday shift to cover the Amazon we couldn’t deliver by the end of the week. Going to bed on Saturday morning @ 7 am kind of kills your weekend. Von.

That is the way it is @ 050. About 5 years ago the last shift was working until 4 5 & 6 am Saturday morning. That became old after a couple of years. So most of the shift starting going home sick between 4 & 6 AM. After 3 or 4 weeks of having to call the seniority list on Saturday morning to finish our work they changed things by starting an 8am Saturday shift. We were threatened with Letters & such but we stood together & they changed part of the operation. Turns out they were going to start a Saturday shift to cover the Amazon we couldn’t deliver by the end of the week. Going to bed on Saturday morning @ 7 am kind of kills your weekend. Von.
Yet another example of 'Amazon rules the world' crap. I'm hearing things about Amazon assembling their own delivery fleet, which would warrant two hips and a hooray from me. No more treadmills, no more ellipticals, no more stairs, 45-degree-angle driveways, dirt roads, tree limbs, cable wires...........

Yet another example of 'Amazon rules the world' crap. I'm hearing things about Amazon assembling their own delivery fleet, which would warrant two hips and a hooray from me. No more treadmills, no more ellipticals, no more stairs, 45-degree-angle driveways, dirt roads, tree limbs, cable wires...........
Along I-465 SB on the west of Indy sits about 200 new Amazon Prime trailers in a old parking lot for the old Indianapolis International Arport ready for use. Amazon is a juggernaut, & with their cash on hand they can & will do anything they want in the market place. Give them 10 years & they will make Walmart look like a corner grocer.

Along I-465 SB on the west of Indy sits about 200 new Amazon Prime trailers in a old parking lot for the old Indianapolis International Arport ready for use. Amazon is a juggernaut, & with their cash on hand they can & will do anything they want in the market place. Give them 10 years & they will make Walmart look like a corner grocer.
Sooner than that would be better. I'm due to retire in less than five.

Sooner than that would be better. I'm due to retire in less than five.
Amazon is know for paying low wages or just enough to get em in the door. They want to have complete control of their transportation. I believe they will have a hard time hiring drivers & keeping them. If they go the driver leasing route for their own tractors they will find it cheaper to use their own drivers. Either way, they will have a hard time keeping drivers @ low wages doing inside deliveries with 300lb tread mills. They will find out LTL trucking with specialized deliveries is expensive & time consuming. With workman comp claims & other expenses, their costs to have their own trucking fleet might be much higher than they projected. Finding & keeping a 25 to 30 year old qualified driver to make back breaking deliveries @ lower than industry wages & run 300 miles a day will be a challenge for them to say the least. von.

I hope they are 13'-6" trls. And the amazon drivers are the ones knocking down tree limbs-rippng down wires and having the customer wanting them to perform miracles with a 400lb. treadmill, all because they saved some money over the price at a local store.

I hope they are 13'-6" trls. And the amazon drivers are the ones knocking down tree limbs-rippng down wires and having the customer wanting them to perform miracles with a 400lb. treadmill, all because they saved some money over the price at a local store.
I like how the customers can't help because they have bad backs. :shrug:

I like how the customers can't help because they have bad backs. :shrug:
Even the guy ordering the new 700 lbs. of barbells and weightlifting equipment...........he's got a "bad back" too...........and no qualms about watching a 62 year old man carry the stuff in and dumping it on his garage floor..........Something wrong with.....his head,...to say the least......let alone his ...uhh....."back''.........