FedEx Freight | Latest ******ation

starvinpurple

TB Lurker
Credits
Monday morning I was required to sign a pre-shift acknowledging my understanding of the latest really stupid company policy: All P&D drivers MUST have no more than 20 minutes of yard time. What ****** pulled that number out of his managerial A$$? It is physically impossible to accomplish, in 20 or less, the following REQUIRED tasks:
Check load, finish securing everything because the dock crew doesn't care to
Find a working pallet jack and throw it in there
Find a working handheld and log on
Go thru paperwork, check for hazmat, appointments, etc etc
Sequence stops (if handheld has decided to work today!)
Pretrip tractor
Find congear
Hook set
Pretrip set
Depart
Yesterday I tried to pull this off- I'm no slouch- and I just managed 21 minutes without a proper pretrip and without even glancing at my DRs.
So now I'm trying to determine what this underhanded, brow-beating, POS company is implying I should do to save them money. Do they want me to arrive early and do some of these things on my own time, even though performing work off the clock is "prohibited?" Do they want me to skip my pre-trip? Or just keep on doing things right, so they can eventually write me up for taking too much yard time?

You need to make a copy of the preshift paper everybody signed to carry with you for when something happens!!!

C Y A, They will throw you under the bus when, not if something happens!!!

Yes ..if you drop your trailer or what ever(make a mistake,because you are in a hurry) because they are rushing you..written up or fired. DOT say uou can take as long as you need to be safe.. tell the red shirt that...If you leave the yard without doing a proper inspection and you have a blowout or some piece of your equipment comes loose and (Kills someone) it will be your Rearend not theirs.

Funny, we just watched the safety video from the VP of safety and in his own words "no one can make you hurry thru your pre trip" Maybe your center needs to watch that video and send a copy to corp. offices. Just a bunch of BS again going against their own policices. CYA because they will terminate you if you look at them funny these days!!

I am calling B S on this one. I am a city driver and have not heard of this. Policy has always been a half hour to get out the gate. Maybe they are trying this out in your area to see if it can be done.

Roadway had a program called "Out the gate in eight". We p&d drivers had eight minutes from the time we were given our bills to leave the yard. It was just more nonsense that eventually disappeared.

He is on too something here bc I've talked to some city drivers at my barn and they have said the same thing, but I was thinking they told me they had to be off the yard 30 min after they clocked in on Kronos??? I may have misunderstood him and it may be 20 min, 30 min seems sensible if ur load is ready and such, 20 min is a bit extreme I agree, just my opinion tho

When I was in the city it was 30 min..
Clock in
stand and wait for pre shift
listen to preshift
loads get handed out
get tractor
hook up
check load, find freight
walk 200 doors down to get pallet jack and two wheeler
walk 200 doors back to trailer
hook jack in
close door
pull dock chalk
recheck fifth wheel
check tires
tug test
brake check
get out check brake lights
log on
head for gate wait in line to sign out and let guard inspect back of trailer

Yea you cant really make it out in 30 by doing your job. Just like on the road to make it out in 30 with hooking a set you have to sacrifice something and that is safety.

When I was in the city it was 30 min..
Clock in
stand and wait for pre shift
listen to preshift
loads get handed out
get tractor
hook up
check load, find freight
walk 200 doors down to get pallet jack and two wheeler
walk 200 doors back to trailer
hook jack in
close door
pull dock chalk
recheck fifth wheel
check tires
tug test
brake check
get out check brake lights
log on
head for gate wait in line to sign out and let guard inspect back of trailer

Yea you cant really make it out in 30 by doing your job. Just like on the road to make it out in 30 with hooking a set you have to sacrifice something and that is safety.
I guess 30 min would be feasible at my yard, small yard, small dock, no guard shack, etc, but everything u listed above I totally agree that's insane to think a City driver could get all that done in 30 min, the ppl making these rules are insane

Driver You Have ALL DAY.... Tell Your TM You Have 15min For Your Pre-Trip Itself. And I Thought We Had 30min For Our Gate Time? To Do Our Job Properly There Is NO Way It Could Be Done Zim 20min.

We have 24 minutes a.m. after clocking in to get out the gate, 24 minutes p.m. scanning through gate and clocking out for day. Lately they have been giving coaching sessions if we go over the time limits.