ABF | Lay-off update?

mikey, I think you misunderstood. it's not the pse drivers it is the foreign road drivers doing work ata foreign terminal.as an example, a driver comes from 086 near atlanta to 222 in orlandothen takes his 10 hour break.When he returns from the hotel he DOESN'T go back to 086 near atlanta, but goes further south into miami or ft meyers than goes back to orlando goes back to the hotel for another 10 hours then goes back to 086 in atlanta.meanwhile we have road drivers domiciled in orlando on layoff whil the foreign drivers do our work. This happens quite a bit and I am told it is because 086 is a bigger board and can run where they want . maybe someone in the south can clarify this
it sounds to me like the "foreign driver courtesy", i never understood that until i tried to go to bed at 003, and found out that i couldnt!!! they didnt have a foreign driver courtesy at that barn, so i had to go to bed at the next barn west, i was like wtf!!!!

Why wait we have to let supervision know who run the terminals. Slow up and bring back the guys on layoff let supervision :butt kiss:

Why wait we have to let supervision know who run the terminals. Slow up and bring back the guys on layoff let supervision :butt kiss:
I've been laid off just as much as anybody, and didn't like it much. But that being said, everyone should do a fair days work. The company doesn't lay guys off just to be a**holes (even though it seems like it sometimes). With ORs at most of the terminals here in the southeast being at or over 100 (break even or losing money), we have to do our jobs. Just because some jerk will suck up all the OT he can get is no excuse for anyone to steal, and that is exactly what you're doing if you don't give your contractually promised "fair days work". Before you call me a company kiss a$$, you might think how you feel when the company doesn't live up to their side of the contract. I worked at a company that is no longer in business, and I don't want to go through that again. But if I do at least I'll have a clear conscience. Will you?

I agree with most of all that you said but I want you to know that a company that made over 80 million dollars is not in to bad of shape. The union should have agreed to no layoffs if we where willing to give them new flexibility with the utility driver and 4 hour casuals for less money. This is how some gm contracts work.

I agree with most of all that you said but I want you to know that a company that made over 80 million dollars is not in to bad of shape. The union should have agreed to no layoffs if we where willing to give them new flexibility with the utility driver and 4 hour casuals for less money. This is how some gm contracts work.
I know the company made money last year, but that was last year and anyway doesn't really pertain to the argument I was making. I was stating that on a personal level I don't ever want to feel that I didn't do my share, I don't really care if anyone else thinks I do or not, this is for my peace of mind. If the company made a billion dollars last year, that still doesn't give me or anyone else the excuse to steal from them now. I know that it's not easy to look inside yourself, instead of looking at the company for reasons to behave in right ways, but that is what good people do. And by the way, I don't think I'd use GM as an example, with the shape they're in...

I understand your point now. Fair days work for a fair days pay no excuse. You are right!! I am by no means disagreeing. Now my point is simple. Its hard for some people( not you) your a good man! to stay motivated when you see people getting laid off that helped to build their business in the first place. That is a slap in the face. It didn't happen when Mr. Young ran the business. They say we are family. You don't fire your family when times are challenging.

same thing going on at 086

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
mikey, I think you misunderstood. it's not the pse drivers it is the foreign road drivers doing work ata foreign terminal.as an example, a driver comes from 086 near atlanta to 222 in orlandothen takes his 10 hour break.When he returns from the hotel he DOESN'T go back to 086 near atlanta, but goes further south into miami or ft meyers than goes back to orlando goes back to the hotel for another 10 hours then goes back to 086 in atlanta.meanwhile we have road drivers domiciled in orlando on layoff whil the foreign drivers do our work. This happens quite a bit and I am told it is because 086 is a bigger board and can run where they want . maybe someone in the south can clarify this

I don't know, but that just sounds like it violates all kinds of rules????

:stirthepot:

I'm laid off for the same reason ...
AND because of them running freight with the other carriers ... so I'm told.

Have been off my WNS bid since 1/7/08.

Haven't worked and I don't answer the phone.
At the Appeal hearing for my UE $, the company told the State I was to be available and working the Dock.:Bondage:

State disagreed - THANK YOU local 728 for the labor attorney provided to me and a few other road drivers. :gathering:
See you all soon ... we hope!

10 road drivers back to work at 086 [ATL]!
29 still laid-off.
We start new bids this week.
I'll be running to WNS on Wed-Fri-Sun @1000.
See y'all back on the road :-)

I am not sure about the southern conference, but if this happens regularly, time to call the Business Agent in Orlando, to check if these guys are being violated. Maybe they can get called back.

it sounds to me like the "foreign driver courtesy", i never understood that until i tried to go to bed at 003, and found out that i couldnt!!! they didnt have a foreign driver courtesy at that barn, so i had to go to bed at the next barn west, i was like wtf!!!!

Unless it is in the new contract, there is no foreign power courtesy in the southern conference. I was trying to get to bed in Atlanta once, because I wanted a nice vacation in Georgia. Those dispatchers just couldnt see it my way. :biglaugh: