ABF | Lay off

I see you misunderstood. My post was referring to them taking away a week of your vacation thus they get another week of work from you and not having to pay your Health and welfare while you would have been off.

They are not Paying a casual also while you are on vacation. And they are not paying your health and welfare while you are sun bathing for a week not earning them one red cent.
Isn't vacation considered compensable hours and therefore subject to Pension and H & W contributions? I mean, it's not like they can bone you out of a week of medical while you're on vacation. And isn't the NEXT months H & W coverage based on the hours worked in the PREVIOUS month?

Come on guys. The post was to show what ABF gained by taking a weeks vacation from us. Do you see now? Before we would have taken a vacation been off enjoying ourselves and all the while they would have had to pay into our Heath and welfare for that week. Now we work that week earning them money now. Get it? Do you guys think I don't know the contract?

Isn't vacation considered compensable hours and therefore subject to Pension and H & W contributions? I mean, it's not like they can bone you out of a week of medical while you're on vacation. And isn't the NEXT months H & W coverage based on the hours worked in the PREVIOUS month?
You are correct, Muler's reference is that by robbing us of a week's vacation there is more that they are not paying besides our time while off. I know, it got a little confusing.

Sometimes it is hard to be positive when a profession that used to be respected and considered "the knights of the road" are under paid and basically treated like a liability by many in our management group. I am not the type to take my concerns with work home with me and I enjoy most every minute of the life I have been blessed with. That being said, I know I would be much happier if our pay and benefits were comparable to inflation adjusted levels from say, 1975...
Trucking back then required a certain skill that wasn't as easily duplicated as today times. It was one of the things that drove me to the industry. (doing something that not everyone else could do).No power steering, no air seats,no A/C,no air ride cabs or trailers.
Duplexes,triplexes and quadraplexes Oh My !!
Now they have automatics and such so anyone (even if you come out of trucking school) HA-HA-HA can drive one.
This used to be a profession but is now treated as just more overhead to be trimmed for the benefit of the bottom dollar.
And they wonder why we stopped caring !!

What ABF is doing reminds me of what Maddy Mouron did with Central Transport. It took him several years but he ended up separating the union from the freight, and dismissed us. I fear that with Judy & co pulling away u-pack and starting their own logistics arm that they may be planning a similar fate for us.

What ABF is doing reminds me of what Maddy Mouron did with Central Transport. It took him several years but he ended up separating the union from the freight, and dismissed us. I fear that with Judy & co pulling away u-pack and starting their own logistics arm that they may be planning a similar fate for us.

That is exactly what they are doing. As a business man wouldn't like to get out from under a 700 million Pension Fund Liability & keep your company? I know I would. It's just business. von.