ABF | Lay off

Maybe you'll get lucky and find a good home for yourself. You're not in heaven at ABF.

Don't know if any place is heaven anymore... Always something somewhere, union or not. ABF is definitely not heaven, but certainly not the worst. I have probably done at least 6 applications for driving jobs and a couple for things totally out of trucking.
I wish you lived around here. When AWI got bought and cancelled their Teamster pension, my son was able to jump to another carrier within a week, and has standing offers at two other Teamster carriers. We have three PLA gas pipeline sites that are going to open up within weeks, they need roughly 200 Teamster drivers. Pipelines around here are sucking up all the available CDL drivers,......even the marginal ones. Good luck, Brother........If there's pipeline work in your area, many of them pay into Teamster funds that have reciprocity.....,. Check them out. Also,......they start you at $30 an hour,.......haven't seen one less than that in W.PA.......I'm sure you'll find something soon.

I would be all over it if there was anything remotely close to me. I have talked to our local BA to see if he knows of anything but he is out of town until Thursday. Started the unemployment process this morning. I didn't work today so I am betting there will be nothing for me this week.

Too many crusty old slobs waiting to die behind the wheel. Pathetic! These were all the guys 40 years ago that couldn't wait to retire. Trust me, NOBODY thinks they are heroes. Everybody laughs at how sad they are behind their back, and what scumbags they are for pushing the bottom 25% into the layoff line. Fact

It is what it is... I am the low man and it is a fact of being the bottom guy. With this Central States Pension Fund fiasco getting ready to take shape, there may be more senior drivers hanging on longer than they want to. I don't know... so much going on in the trucking world right now... Supposed driver shortage, Conway getting ready to be sold and a possible new game changer coming to play with that, an economy that sucks, YRC still barely hanging on... Possible new Teamsters union leadership... How much more :shhit: can we pile on here? I see a :shift::shhit:storm coming, or maybe it is already here and we just don't know it yet...

Too many crusty old slobs waiting to die behind the wheel. Pathetic! These were all the guys 40 years ago that couldn't wait to retire. Trust me, NOBODY thinks they are heroes. Everybody laughs at how sad they are behind their back, and what scumbags they are for pushing the bottom 25% into the layoff line. Fact
Ooohhhhh,......That hits close to home..........I'VE got 40 years staring at a chrome-plated Bulldog's hind-end,..........I've also got my share of the college loans for four children,.........AND,...I've got a daughter who desperately wants a Nice Wedding,......Could I be so much of a Grinch?,.........I'm 61,........with a Break-In- Service in my pension due to nine separate carriers closing under me in the early eighties and nineties,.....I kind of .....need.....the bare minimum Social Security,........And my wife's job doesn't pay health care,......Hmmmm,.....40 years of busting my butt,.....and starting over at the bottom nine times,......and now you've burst my bubble by telling me my co-workers would like to grab me by my feeble old collar, and hustle me out the door?.....Good Riddance?.......I'm heartbroken.........

Ooohhhhh,......That hits close to home..........I'VE got 40 years staring at a chrome-plated Bulldog's hind-end,..........I've also got my share of the college loans for four children,.........AND,...I've got a daughter who desperately wants a Nice Wedding,......Could I be so much of a Grinch?,.........I'm 61,........with a Break-In- Service in my pension due to nine separate carriers closing under me in the early eighties and nineties,.....I kind of .....need.....the bare minimum Social Security,........And my wife's job doesn't pay health care,......Hmmmm,.....40 years of busting my butt,.....and starting over at the bottom nine times,......and now you've burst my bubble by telling me my co-workers would like to grab me by my feeble old collar, and hustle me out the door?.....Good Riddance?.......I'm heartbroken.........
40 years and no hold on your finances yet?? Wow, your a slow learner

40 years and no hold on your finances yet?? Wow, your a slow learner
Yeah,.......I suppose it has nothing to do with Gateway, Motor Freight, Werner-Continental, Hall's, Maislin, Mason-Dixon, Automobile Transport, Nu-Car Carriers, and M & G Convoy all closing or laying me off prior to closing in my first 15 years of driving..........I guess we all can't be Trump-style financial wizards......... Maybe I should've picked a more stable career other than trucking,......like maybe male gigolo,......or working the dry end of the honey-dipper stick,.........always steady work in those fields,.......Maybe 20 or 30 years from now, you'll be lamenting a similar tune,........and I hope not, because I don't want to wish an "interesting" career on anyone, Brother,.........Walk a mile in my moccasins........

Yeah,.......I suppose it has nothing to do with Gateway, Motor Freight, Werner-Continental, Hall's, Maislin, Mason-Dixon, Automobile Transport, Nu-Car Carriers, and M & G Convoy all closing or laying me off prior to closing in my first 15 years of driving..........I guess we all can't be Trump-style financial wizards......... Maybe I should've picked a more stable career other than trucking,......like maybe male gigolo,......or working the dry end of the honey-dipper stick,.........always steady work in those fields,.......Maybe 20 or 30 years from now, you'll be lamenting a similar tune,........and I hope not, because I don't want to wish an "interesting" career on anyone, Brother,.........Walk a mile in my moccasins........
Yeah, I guess I have been more fortunate with my finances. Definitely don't ever count on the Teamsters pension. I was told that 18 years ago and now I see many scrambling in their golden years because of the highway robbery going on. Good luck slim.

I don't consider men with seniority Scum Bags or Slobs". They have walked picket lines & sacrificed to make the industry better. Without the sacrifices made by old guys we would not have nearly what we have today. They have also gone through lay offs. These men don't owe anybody anything. The idea that higher seniority men should just die & get out of your way goes against the concept of unity & respect.

In his defense, those of us with more seniority can remember how we also used to wonder years ago when the old graybeards were going to retire..........You're young, you've got a young family, the economy isn't exactly confidence-inspiring,..........The pressure is on, as it were........We had to learn over time, why the seniority even exists to allow a man to leave when HE chooses, not when some corporate bean-counter says when he should go.,..It took a while, but I eventually learned to respect the older guys who created the conditions we work under,........ long before I became a graybeard , myself. It is the responsibility of us older guys to teach,........"gently"...the younger guys the how's and why's about our Union......not rub our seniority in their faces. That's the only way a Union culture will survive from generation to generation,..... They certainly don't teach it in schools......

Yeah, I guess I have been more fortunate with my finances. Definitely don't ever count on the Teamsters pension. I was told that 18 years ago and now I see many scrambling in their golden years because of the highway robbery going on. Good luck slim.
Make sure you walk away from this job also around age 61, and then pay for your own healthcare until 65. Better start saving now.

Make sure you walk away from this job also around age 61, and then pay for your own healthcare until 65. Better start saving now.
That is a big problem, Brother,..........and that's why I had high hopes for "Obamacare"....We had a guy retire about a year and a half ago,..instead of his being forced to take COBRA insurance at $1426.00 a month for 18 months, he went to the Health Care exchange and got comparable insurance for about $400.00 a month,..........a savings of over $60,000 for the 5 years it will take to get to Medicare age,....that is provided he stayed with medical insurance priced similar to the 18 month mandatory (prior to Obamacare...) COBRA insurance.....A savings at any rate.....Will the next President /Congress de-fund Obamacare? Do they have an alternative plan? Or will it be just go back to the way the insurance people and employers want it? This will affect my retirement date greatly.........If I could afford the healthcare until Medicare, I'd go now,.....But I guess I've got to wait and see what the Solons of Intelligence in Congress will do next year......

How do you expect them to retire with their pensions being cut in half? Im 45 & have 24 years in the union & another 22 to go get social security, will I work that long, I hope not. So before you call them pathetic old scumbags & crusty old slobs think first, some may have to work for different reasons. My advise would be wait it out or move on, we all have been there....

How do you expect them to retire with their pensions being cut in half? Im 45 & have 24 years in the union & another 22 to go get social security, will I work that long, I hope not. So before you call them pathetic old scumbags & crusty old slobs think first, some may have to work for different reasons. My advise would be wait it out or move on, we all have been there....

Whipper snappers aren't aware of "30 and out". Existed when I started. Bargained out along the way. Now you're 50 and no one would hire us even IF you wanted to lose your perch and start over. SENIORITY has always been my foundation of Unity.

My main question is why is a man who has such a bubbling personality not in a board room somewhere letting someone make you rich, by paying you what you think you are worth. Surely you are just taking a break from Wall Street to come down and mingle with the common workers to test the waters for a real "Bulls" and "Bears" free-for-all when the stock market opens. Either that or your probably headed out on the speaking circuit to promote "Harmony Within the Workplace" and sell copies of your new book "How to Make Friends Online in Ten Posts or Less". Lolololol

Don't ride him too hard, Brother,.....I'm not defending him, I'm sure he's ably capable of doing that on his own,........But he, and guys just like him are the future of our Union,.......and as far as I'm concerned, I can take a little snarky dissidence......We need a little of that to keep things fresh,......Besides,...Reminds me of myself about thirty years ago......

Speaking of snarky dissidence,.......Where in Hades is Rollin 62??.....I'd like some words of wisdom from our favorite secret Con-Way driver on the XPO buyout,.........Maybe he's busy with Rosetta Stone trying to learn French in a hurry.... n'est ce pas? Maybe since I mentioned him, he'll resurrect himself on here for a while.......( Hey Rollin......Remember this phrase: "Merde, Alors!"......You might be using it a lot.....)

Us ,too. Just one liftgate and the little Norris beavertail for cubes. In fact, I'm off on another Relo-cube adventure this morning where I've got to pick up a pneumatic tire towmotor and go way out in the mountains where , apparently, they've never heard of asphalt. Special Calamities Division....... That's me....
Lol , dont feel bad we have 8 liftgates in atlanta plus 1 53' footer and we couldnt hit all the windows. You guys are making us look bad. i have noticed we are getting more turnkeys back from jb hunt(fms). seems they cant do it (or wont) profitably.

And now,........When I got back from my Relo-Cube adventure, (...Lunch, and only one coffee break...)....here's this Brand-New 40', 102" wide,12' 6" tall, single-axle lift-gate sitting against the dock with the shiny new corporate logo and all,....right next to our old pup-converted-to-a-liftgate, looking sad and tattered.....And I thought we lost all the Amazon stuff,.....Good Grief! It looks like they actually asked some truck drivers about specs and requirements........Of course I took it out for a spin in an inaugural kind of a way,........Liftgate jumps up and down like frogs in a dynamite pond.....Just what the heck are we going to do with this truly wondrous piece of equipment? Maybe we are going to do more Nine Man Turnkeys,......Got enough room for a rolling tool chest,....refrigerator dollies,.......sledgehammers and car jacks,.......all the stuff you need to finesse a seven foot tall crate through a six foot tall door,.........and still actually have room for the freight! Wonders never cease around here! Next thing you know, they'll be sending in tractors with LESS than 600,000 miles on them,....Ones that still have an intact headliner, and most of the pieces of the dashboard.....
Laughter is food for the soul, thx. I needed that, thanks again. for those that dont know, he's absolutly serious
It is hard to beat 2200 lbs of hardwood flooring gently listing to the left on a #35 poplar skid. I really enjoy it when it's lengthwise...8' long, 48" long pallet jack and a 5' long lift gate. I know I don't need to fully describe all the pleasures like the hinges on the gate that stick up to grab the skid or the angle, one way or another, that jams the pallet up on its way off of the gate. :wee:
We had the same problem here, but now we load all of the shipments out on the flatbed. i presume yur talking about build direct. dont know what terminal yur at, maybe its easier for us to dobecause we're a DC

Laughter is food for the soul, thx. I needed that, thanks again. for those that dont know, he's absolutly serious

We had the same problem here, but now we load all of the shipments out on the flatbed. i presume yur talking about build direct. dont know what terminal yur at, maybe its easier for us to dobecause we're a DC
We need to just turn away from that crappy freight once and for all. There's a word in business and it's spelled N-O.

Occasionally that garbage will go out on a flatbed but it seems that there is not enough fat in the rate to cover the cost of making a trip for one shipment. Once in a while a shipment will come back, sit in the way, get run into a few times and go out on the flat after they figure out who's paying for it.
We need to just turn away from that crappy freight once and for all. There's a word in business and it's spelled N-O.
Yep, there sure is...but it's directed towards us, they think we should take all the world's ::shit:: and shovel it. Lying and abusive customers and no support for us from the office. "See what you can do with it". All I ask for is that they come out in their office clothes and demonstrate for us in the lot out front how we should handle this stuff. Because I can't figure out a suitable way. I don't believe in asking someone else to do something I can't do and I would like to be treated the same. Please just show me how it's done.

Occasionally that garbage will go out on a flatbed but it seems that there is not enough fat in the rate to cover the cost of making a trip for one shipment. Once in a while a shipment will come back, sit in the way, get run into a few times and go out on the flat after they figure out who's paying for it.

Yep, there sure is...but it's directed towards us, they think we should take all the world's :::shit::: and shovel it. Lying and abusive customers and no support for us from the office. "See what you can do with it". All I ask for is that they come out in their office clothes and demonstrate for us in the lot out front how we should handle this stuff. Because I can't figure out a suitable way. I don't believe in asking someone else to do something I can't do and I would like to be treated the same. Please just show me how it's done.
That's the thing...they don't care! The 'just do it' mantra they have doesn't take into account the 'physical laws' we run into daily. Not to mention the possibility of injuries. My mantra: 'just DON'T do it.' "Oh? You don't like my response Mr. TM? Then you have two choices...roll this 2500 lb. CRUNCHED pallet UP that driveway yourself, or call my BA."

My main question is why is a man who has such a bubbling personality not in a board room somewhere letting someone make you rich, by paying you what you think you are worth. Surely you are just taking a break from Wall Street to come down and mingle with the common workers to test the waters for a real "Bulls" and "Bears" free-for-all when the stock market opens. Either that or your probably headed out on the speaking circuit to promote "Harmony Within the Workplace" and sell copies of your new book "How to Make Friends Online in Ten Posts or Less". Lolololol
Lol? Cmon, it looks to me like your all crying on the inside. Lighten up