Yellow | Lay-offed Again!!

teamster-554

TB Lurker
Credits
:mail1: well it happened again...layed off again. just got the letter today! there was 6 of us in omaha,ne (381). we need a change of operation.NOOOO we need a change of term. ops mang. we need someone that wants freight. and will stand up to akron and fight for the guys that bust there azz everyday for him. well i better stop typing before i say something that i might regret...:borg: any lay-offs anywhere else??

Cutting here too, at 342-Kansas City. 10 P&D jobs and 2 Combo jobs. Even though we have all the overtime we want.

What is wrong with those guys working OT when they've put in their time with the company? New guys walk in with a understanding that they're going to be the 1st affected when things get slow.

laid off guys in KC have a chance to get their fifth punch on the weekends before they call for overtime, unless its changed in the last few years.....before you guys get in a huge arguement over this keep in mind that laid off in KC is like 10% and its a Mon-Fri barn.

BillyLo said:
What is wrong with those guys working OT when they've put in their time with the company? New guys walk in with a understanding that they're going to be the 1st affected when things get slow.
The key word here is slow. During the past 6 years we have had layoffs but not slow enough, most of the time, for a real lay off. Just RDWY playing games with employees. DS.

yes at 381-omaha,ne. you can sign the board and get work but the guys that are not layed off sign up for overtime and if they don't sign there name for layed off to work first then they get the call to work overtime before the layed off guys get there 4th or 5th punch. Thats just brotherhood!! They have that right. But after being there for 7 yrs you would think i wouldnt be one of the new guys. as long as they sign up for overtime and sign there name so to call the layed-off guys first. is understandable. i am ok with that. but as far as the guys that are working over 8 hrs and suckin up the overtime it is creating a situation where the guys arnt gettin called in because guys will work overtime. it seems to me that greed is the root of all evils. All i can say is the only good out of this is that when yellow starts closing term.. you can come join me in the cheese line but at least ill be ahead of you.

teamster-554 said:
yes at 381-omaha,ne. you can sign the board and get work but the guys that are not layed off sign up for overtime and if they don't sign there name for layed off to work first then they get the call to work overtime before the layed off guys get there 4th or 5th punch. Thats just brotherhood!! They have that right. But after being there for 7 yrs you would think i wouldnt be one of the new guys. as long as they sign up for overtime and sign there name so to call the layed-off guys first. is understandable. i am ok with that. but as far as the guys that are working over 8 hrs and suckin up the overtime it is creating a situation where the guys arnt gettin called in because guys will work overtime. it seems to me that greed is the root of all evils. All i can say is the only good out of this is that when yellow starts closing term.. you can come join me in the cheese line but at least ill be ahead of you.
That's one thing I would love to change in the contract. As a laid off man you work what is called "extra work". Overtime is called "premium work" the difference is that the company has to pay either time and a half or double time as a "penalty". So if RDWY decides to work OT and is willing to pay the penalty that is premium work and the laid off men stay at home while guys with a 40 work week can work it. There are two ways of looking at this.........but in my opinion if there is any work outside of the guarantee the L/O should get the first chance. This does keep the Sr. men from getting OT, but the men on the bottom is what makes senior men what they are!!! Just my 2 cents. DS.

It started here at 107 (cheshire) every tuesday night 15 guys get laid off only to be called as needed.Most of them get called in off their start times and work (that is the ones that answer their phones)It's that time of year,it's happening all over and not just with roadway either.It's a tool the company uses to break start times so they could use the work force where needed.it's sucks but that's the way it is.It's been this way forever!

Moparman said:
It started here at 107 (cheshire) every tuesday night 15 guys get laid off only to be called as needed.Most of them get called in off their start times and work (that is the ones that answer their phones)It's that time of year,it's happening all over and not just with roadway either.It's a tool the company uses to break start times so they could use the work force where needed.it's sucks but that's the way it is.It's been this way forever!
Hey Mopar........They call it flexability here. Under our contract we have unassigned dock workers. The only difference between UA and L/O is that UA can only work one time a day and the company says they need the flex to work the L/O twice in one day. Now tell me where the lack of freight is??? This issue is where we need some of the RDWY big shots that get on this site to really explain how this really benefits both sides!! DS.

It's one thing to get force to work overtime when Teamsters are laid off. It's truly sad on the otherhand when a Teamster signs up to work all available overtime with laid off BROTHERS!! Think of this>>>>> During a strike you have ***** taking money from you and everybody is up in arms about it. Now your laid off and the rest of the working force is scr*wing you. I guess it's ok because it doesn't affect senior men. Union job is to be fair to all, correct?

BillyLo said:

It not about money or seniority BillyLO, It's about brotherhood.

There are men sitting home not getting paid while senior men are working overtime. Thats not right.

Moparman said:

Moparman, it's called circumventing start times and as long as everyone answers the phone, it's gonna keep happening.

I see no problems with layoffs when things are slow but laying guys off just to bring them in at a different time stinks

They haven't laid off yet at 313, but I'm sure the week after Thankgiving (which conincides with gun deer season) they will lay off.
We have the same issues of people working 6th and 7th punches while people laid off.
For the first 3 yrs. I wouldn't sign up for it even though I am considered a overtime hound.
However when I see about 8 or so guys doing it weekly I can see it proves nothing but takes the exrta out of my pocket.
Also they have the L/O sighn a sheet if they are available for extra work and whomever does usually works ot during the week.
Like someone said its just the company's way of screwing with us.

The way it works at 342 they lay off and everybody (including layoff) still get:realmad: all the overtimes they want. It's called "flexibility"

fatboy said:
our layoffs are not called in at 153 prior to 6th punches working, even though it is contractually required. our local is no help at present.
Hey fatboy, welcome to the boards!! I'm glad you jumped on in. Someone there needs to file a greviance over the contract violation and stop it!! By the way we got some of your guys down here, from the change, at 671 on the dock. DS.

I am new and fear the word layoff. It seems like with the driver shortage layoffs would not be happening. I am a little worried about paying my bills and layoff adds a little stress to your life. I dont look foward to coming home and telling the family I am layed off while still trying to convince them that leaving another nonunioun job to come to roadway, was such a good idea. just my 2 cents worth

The sad truth about being layed off is that it affects us all. Union or not. It crosses all boundries of industry and even gets into the office. It rarley affects the top brass of course.