Yellow | Lay-offed Again!!

fatboy said:
our layoffs are not called in at 153 prior to 6th punches working, even though it is contractually required. our local is no help at present.
Welcome to Truckingboards fatboy we hope you hang around a while and put in your 2 cents........
PS... I did not know the company had to call layed off before a regular was called for a 6th punch????

we have a straight time before overtime provision as well as an order of call specified for calling layoffs prior to sixth and seven punches. i am a former steward, and we are crawling with former stewards, our best and most effective steward was a former b/a. our local seems bent on charges, humiliations, and backstabbing anyone remotely competant to do this job, they might run for office. the only steward not screwed over as hard as everyone else was the king of all liars, a thief and a rat. we are without any representation at this time, so nobody is preventing the abuse.

My first 8 years as a Teamster I spent with C.F. At our barn in Nashville,with the exception of a P/D driver getting hung out,there was no overtime worked while men where laid-off.Something the men on the dock knew was wrong to do.Now I've been with Roadway for the last 4 years and I must say it's a differnt breed here.Was shocked to see men coming in on front-side,asking for back-side, 6th and 7th punch.Mind you not all was doing this.Some went as far as getting letters for not working the forced overtime.But for a "brother" to work un-forced overtime,while there are men at home getting one or two days a week is wrong.If the freight is slow enough to lay a man off,why is there any overtime.My two cents.

434CFer said:
My first 8 years as a Teamster I spent with C.F. At our barn in Nashville,with the exception of a P/D driver getting hung out,there was no overtime worked while men where laid-off.Something the men on the dock knew was wrong to do.Now I've been with Roadway for the last 4 years and I must say it's a differnt breed here.Was shocked to see men coming in on front-side,asking for back-side, 6th and 7th punch.Mind you not all was doing this.Some went as far as getting letters for not working the forced overtime.But for a "brother" to work un-forced overtime,while there are men at home getting one or two days a week is wrong.If the freight is slow enough to lay a man off,why is there any overtime.My two cents.
This is one of my pet peaves too. I've posted elsewhere Rdwy is the biggest unionized s... outfit I've ever worked at. All I ever hear is I paid my dues now it's my turn. The only reason they are gettin thier turn is Rdwy has'nt folded yet. I usually tell them they were to stupid to work somewhere else that's why they have 22 years in.:hysterical: :hysterical:

dont feel bad guys been laidoff in columbus oh all year/ called back ion 6/26 worked 8 days in july 8days in aug 9 days in sept and so far 7days in oct/ thats yellow for you i guess/ steward says hog board is killing the bottom of board / but havnt they earned it? they had to go thru the same 1-3year period eh?

layed off

ghostrider said:
dont feel bad guys been laidoff in columbus oh all year/ called back ion 6/26 worked 8 days in july 8days in aug 9 days in sept and so far 7days in oct/ thats yellow for you i guess/ steward says hog board is killing the bottom of board / but havnt they earned it? they had to go thru the same 1-3year period eh?
This might have a lot to do with the antiunion sentimant out there. I can see if there is a real need for layoffs, but the companys hire you based on the need for your services. I came from a full time driving job over here and the days off were rotated between the drivers. It would be a lot easier to attract new members if the bottom guys got 8 hours also. Some people cannot support a family on part time work, my wife is disabled and needs my support, If I am not working the bills do not get paid. I knew this coming in but do not have to agree to it. Change can be good

ghostrider said:
Ghost your correct the have the right to work, But what disgusts me is when they lie on thier logs to get an extra run. In the city I've seen guys work the max number of hours knowing full well they will run over on hours and then managment "banks the hours" All they while 10% is sitting home. A right they earned? Ya they''ve been lucky to work for a company that hasn't closed yet. All the time they are flashing the little yellow book and talking "Teamster tough" and sucking the boss off trying to undermine the senior man. Man I need to retire I'm getting to cynical:tongue

Welcome to the board newbees! Now let me tell you what happened at the greivence hearings tuesday. first of all mine was postponed again for the 3rd time. another tactic to get time between the BS WAY THEY RUN THE SHOW AND VIOLATE GUYS. I asked the t.o.m. what was the procedure as far as calling in the layedoff? Because we all know there is a thin line between rumors and bullshit. so he tells me they are allowed to work the layedoff 1-day but if they need us more than that he has to call Akron. CALL AKRON EVERYTIME??? omg can you imagine the phone calls to akron? Our t.o.m. has been with the company for over 30 yrs. and cant make a decision on his own??? lol So i guess this is just another hoop ill have to jump through. But we sure would like to see a change for the better here in Omaha,Ne. Something needs to happen. P.S. let me guess i should be happy that I even got a job right?

I'm thinking your laid off don't answer the phone man. They then have to send a letter and you have 2 weeks to report. Expensive way to make a point though.

eaglescout said:
This might have a lot to do with the antiunion sentimant out there. I can see if there is a real need for layoffs, but the companys hire you based on the need for your services. I came from a full time driving job over here and the days off were rotated between the drivers. It would be a lot easier to attract new members if the bottom guys got 8 hours also. Some people cannot support a family on part time work, my wife is disabled and needs my support, If I am not working the bills do not get paid. I knew this coming in but do not have to agree to it. Change can be good
Eaglescout, hope your wife has filed for disibility income through Social Security, i know several disabled people getting this, and they coulden't survive without it, good luck. Mustache Retired Roadway

pullintriples said:
laid off guys in KC have a chance to get their fifth punch on the weekends before they call for overtime, unless its changed in the last few years.....before you guys get in a huge arguement over this keep in mind that laid off in KC is like 10% and its a Mon-Fri barn.
Just wanted to ask about CUMIA 2008. Is That a Oand A refrence?

teamster-554 said:
I asked the t.o.m. what was the procedure as far as calling in the layedoff? Because we all know there is a thin line between rumors and bulls***. so he tells me they are allowed to work the layedoff 1-day but if they need us more than that he has to call Akron.
How many times have you heard that "if we work them 1-day we don't have to pay all their benny's but 2-days or more and we can't afford to work them?" I was told that they have to pay half the benny's for 1-day and everything for 2-days or more still, when did they start having to pay "half" for 1-day, or did they? Wondering minds would like to know!

Benny Hill said:
How many times have you heard that "if we work them 1-day we don't have to pay all their benny's but 2-days or more and we can't afford to work them?" I was told that they have to pay half the benny's for 1-day and everything for 2-days or more still, when did they start having to pay "half" for 1-day, or did they? Wondering minds would like to know!
If i remember right one day gets you c-4 ins, & two get you C-6. Been this way in Central States for some time. Pension is paid on dailey baises not to go over 5 per week. This might not be correct but close. Mustache Retired Roadway

mustache said:
Eaglescout, hope your wife has filed for disibility income through Social Security, i know several disabled people getting this, and they coulden't survive without it, good luck. Mustache Retired Roadway
I wish she could but she did not work enough credits in the last ten tears to qualify she will not get medicare or ss. And she was hurt at work. she gets a small w. comp check=however

Some small rumblings around 671 about layoffs. :whistling: We still have forced OT on the dock and 6th and 7th punch OT........figure that one out. Bill Z. said he looked into his crystal ball and thought the rest of the year was going to be slow.........we'll see. Hope he's wrong......:horse: DS.

Was told today that 671 was laying off switchers and P+D drivers this weekend?!? The dock will probably be next, again. Hell they just got back on in September. DS.