Yellow | Lay-offed Again!!

Just talked to some guys on the dock at 120, lay off this Friday. Heard 10 guys but just hear say for now. Time will tell.

That's not a rumor at 120. They layed off at least eight guys on the dock. Sunday is their last day. We are also going to rebid and they are cutting bids.

maybe its time for a change in the contract, the senior men probably will disagree because, the have had to pay there dues to get privelages. I might have a hard time if I was at the top and been thru it, however we have men that are in the middle that are working 12 - 13 hours every day. This time could be divided up so that the junior men work every day. The top guys are great because they realize that us newbies help take the load off so to speak they do not want to work 50 or 55 hours a week. Maybe we can come up with some type of solution that works for the senior as well as bottom men. Is not this what the union is about the brothers and sisters sticking together for a better workplace?

amen to the eaglescout. i have 22 years and never want to exceed a 10 hour day on the dock, and i really dont want to work 5-10's.
when 153 was a bb, i had decent hour snad felt more like working more ot, night shift saps the life out of me.
roadwAY HAS long only had two management tools, letters and ot. it seems as though ot is a universal cure. no trailers, ot. no bills, ot.
no freight, ot.
some draw pleasure from forced ot, even if they double and triple us up, or have 5-6 men standing around. it makes them feel powerful.
we had and sometimes have early ot, late ot, 1-2-3-4 hours late, 1-2 early, sixth punches, sevens, etc, and we hear about flexibility, but always flexibility means do it our way now, even if the co unilaterally has withdrawn all these options because of a tantrum.
our best men sit down and draw up bids, split starts and etc to match freight flow, and they all trashed, and the effort is wasted.
our workforce is edgy and worn out , injuries, fights, amd labor problems are sure to follow, as this pattern has been pbserved many times before.

313 was preshifted that our CPH or customer per hour did not meet our man per hours worked and that corporate would take a look at that if we can't pick up the CPH.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Sounds like the beginning of a layoff to me.
As for people working 6th and 7th days and 12 to 15 hrs per day, Eagle scout the company would lay off even if no one would work the "voluntary" ot.
Thats just Roadway's way.

I don't agree

eaglescout said:
maybe its time for a change in the contract, the senior men probably will disagree because, the have had to pay there dues to get privelages. I might have a hard time if I was at the top and been thru it, however we have men that are in the middle that are working 12 - 13 hours every day. This time could be divided up so that the junior men work every day. The top guys are great because they realize that us newbies help take the load off so to speak they do not want to work 50 or 55 hours a week. Maybe we can come up with some type of solution that works for the senior as well as bottom men. Is not this what the union is about the brothers and sisters sticking together for a better workplace?
eaglescout I am not saying I agree with what I am about to say but this is how Roadway looks at it. When freight drops off they say that they have to cut cost. I really is not about the hourly wage it is about the benefits paid each day for the employee. They lay off 5 and try to get the rest to pick up the slack. The 5 laid off will not have the health&welfare paid if they don't work. That is about $350.00 to $450.00 ( that is my est) for a 5 day work week for each employee laid off. Then throw in the wages they don't pay. They actually save money buy laying off and working the rest overtime. The employees on overtime already have the health&welfare paid for the day. And all it cost them is 1/2 time. Like 2 employees would be wages x 2 and H&W x 2. When they put employees in layoff it is wages x 1 1/2 not 2 as above and H&W x 1 not 2 as above.

Toxic said:
eaglescout I am not saying I agree with what I am about to say but this is how Roadway looks at it. When freight drops off they say that they have to cut cost. I really is not about the hourly wage it is about the benefits paid each day for the employee. They lay off 5 and try to get the rest to pick up the slack. The 5 laid off will not have the health&welfare paid if they don't work. That is about $350.00 to $450.00 ( that is my est) for a 5 day work week for each employee laid off. Then throw in the wages they don't pay. They actually save money buy laying off and working the rest overtime. The employees on overtime already have the health&welfare paid for the day. And all it cost them is 1/2 time. Like 2 employees would be wages x 2 and H&W x 2. When they put employees in layoff it is wages x 1 1/2 not 2 as above and H&W x 1 not 2 as above.

You're absolutly right Toxic. Thats why I would love to see H&W and pension paid on all hours worked instead of stopping at 40.

Does anyone know the formula for having to hire based on hours worked over bid? I know last year at Indy the International was supposedly shocked at the amount of forced OT hours worked after the first LO. The greivance our steward filed kept getting held and sent along the endless path till the people where called back in the spring.Remember Zollars told the international RDWY needed to cut costs so the parent corp could meet stock predictions. This is when some of the officers exercised thier stock options. Dollar bill made about 5 million in one day. What really P****D us off was Yellow did not LO and was running aound with 1 or 2 del on their trlrs and bragging about no one LO and we where so busy they where forcing OT.
I personally think the YRCW need to define what each one of its companies is doing so we don't compete with each other, consoldate to one sales force and get us all working. I am sick of tired of hearing we need to be like Conway and Fed_Ex, when we see them doing what we used to do for customers but we don't do anymore because it costs money. Is anyone able to get any hats, pens, stickers for freight (EX. "don't double stack") to give to customers anymore?

Hey abb.........
Does anyone know the formula for having to hire based on hours worked over bid?
You have to count "extra hours" in order to qualify men to be hired or called back from layoff. Extra hours is any hours worked by laid off or casual men. OT does not count!!! Your supplement may differ.
Remember Zollars told the international RDWY needed to cut costs so the parent corp could meet stock predictions.
Like Toxic posted, laying off and forcing OT and working 6th and 7th punches is a cost savings, according to RDWY. We all know what the downside is.
...stickers for freight (EX. "don't double stack") to give to customers anymore?
I actually saw a box of them beside of city dispatch on Friday, been awhile! DS.