ABF | lay-offs where you're at? and other ???'s

Daytondave33

TB Lurker
Credits
:TR10driving03: here in dayton,ohio 064, we just had another round of lay-offs. we had 14 people called between 5:30am and 6:30 am saturday to be informed that they were being laid off. that was a pretty insensitive thing to do at that those hours to our teamster employees,which all had 9-11 years in at 064. anyway,that makes the total on the dock laid off at 64. i was curious if we are just being hit really hard here or is it at all the terminals? what kind of numbers do you have laid off where you are? also,
many if not all of those laid off,feel that,they will NEVER be called back. i would love to hear any thoughts about ABF down sizing the dock workers. we had over 270 teamsters on our board right before the lay-offs. many think they want it down to 150 as the PSE/UTL will overtake our place. we were told that this new program would increase the work and they would add more to the dock. it seems like the direct opposite. talk to me teamsters ! are we wrong here in dayton??!! thx guys and god bless

Layoffs

At 330, 2 bids left. The UE bid was cancled Nov 17. So i'm layed off and the UE guy is now the 10%er. This is a very tuff time. I don't know wether to transfer somewhere or ride it out. A newborn and no benifits doesn't mix well!

thx to everyone that is posting the layoffs. we at dayton are curious on how many on the dock are getting laid off.our board was in the 270's. they now have 64 dock guys off and i believe over 80 drivers off right now too. the guys laid off from the dock are thinking that they will never be called back. so much freight going around dayton 064. anyone hear any rumors about our place? thx guys and god bless

At 051 we have 19 laid off of the dock, 7 laid off of P&D, and 6 laid off of the Yard. I know we have road laid off also, just not sure of the number.
As for our dock number, we only have 30 bids left on the dock. Things don't look good anywhere right now. Just hang on. This week is always our slowest week of the year even in the best of economic situations. Hopefully, things will turn around soon. Good luck to all!!

ummm extra board was used this week until re-bid monday. The Fort told the barn not to use the extra board unless necc....save on paying benefits...

6 laid off on 042 dock looks like more next week. they didnt use any extra board all week.
is there only 6 total on the dock laid off at 042? i am wondering how many on the dock are laid off at the big d.c's? because dayton has been hit hard and it sounds like more is coming. thx

Here at 004 Little Rock we now have 25 laidoff in the city/dock classification and we are being told that there will probably be more next week. Our board is down to 150 men and with the 25 laidoff it is down to 125 men. Our board was once up 250-men after the Carolina merger and has steadily shrunk to what it is now. As of June 2009 I will have 15 years in fulltime here at 004 and I am currently only 18 spots away from the layoff myself.

Here at 004 Little Rock we now have 25 laidoff in the city/dock classification and we are being told that there will probably be more next week. Our board is down to 150 men and with the 25 laidoff it is down to 125 men. Our board was once up 250-men after the Carolina merger and has steadily shrunk to what it is now. As of June 2009 I will have 15 years in fulltime here at 004 and I am currently only 18 spots away from the layoff myself.
wow ! thx for the 004 update. this is crazy. we are shrinking. we hear all kinds of rumors about 064. everyone, for the most part,is convinced they want the board down to about 125. is was over 270 ! we were told this new 1-2 day would bring more jobs to 064. i was even told that they would need at least 100 more on the dock within 3 years ! wow,seems like he maybe meant 100 less on the dock lol. i hate to see us outta work. i really hate to see our older guys working so much OT to keep the bottom guys(10%'ers) from getting their days and keeping any chance of anyone laid off from being called back. i did hear from a friend who still drives that 051 indy hired 4 people yesterday. is anyone hearing anything about our place? i guess i need to realize that i'm never coming back. 9 years there and now i gotta start over again. well i'm tryin to stay positive but it's hard. i hope god really does have a plan for us all. keep posting updates teamster brother and sisters. i appreciate it !

Akron 060 now has two laidoff and one man just retired. we now are down to nine men at our terminal and one of them is on the PSE run. On any good day we dont have enough men to make our pickups and either miss or are late making the pickup and no one in management seems to give a ****. By the way we still have full staff in the office as when we had 19 drivers.

Any of the other DC's (Carlisle, Little Rock, etc.) have their top guys working 7 days a week while Teamster brothers/sisters are laid off? This is ridiculous to have people on layoff status while upper seniority guys work 7 days a week. Thanks!

wow ! thx for the 004 update. this is crazy. we are shrinking. we hear all kinds of rumors about 064. everyone, for the most part,is convinced they want the board down to about 125. is was over 270 ! we were told this new 1-2 day would bring more jobs to 064. i was even told that they would need at least 100 more on the dock within 3 years ! wow,seems like he maybe meant 100 less on the dock lol. i hate to see us outta work. i really hate to see our older guys working so much OT to keep the bottom guys(10%'ers) from getting their days and keeping any chance of anyone laid off from being called back. i did hear from a friend who still drives that 051 indy hired 4 people yesterday. is anyone hearing anything about our place? i guess i need to realize that i'm never coming back. 9 years there and now i gotta start over again. well i'm tryin to stay positive but it's hard. i hope god really does have a plan for us all. keep posting updates teamster brother and sisters. i appreciate it !

Indy terminal code is not 051. Winston-Salem is 051.

@ o42 another 15 laid off on Thursday. In the area of 75 drivers now on the street. BUT there is freight sitting around in most the NE terminals sometimes for days before it is picked up and moved. Several NE terms have laid of city drivers and routes are not being run to pickup freight. Bid drivers are guarenteed work but not in their bid area. Breaking bids is becoming a daily thing. Turn drivers doing bed trips, bed drivers doing turns. E goes W and W goes S you get the point. BUT don't bring back the laid off drivers to help with the freight moving. UE are still running strong. NO slow down for them. Funny how Utility work was not to effect the road mans job..... thats BS!!!!!!!!