Lay Offs

when i used to work for nemf, there wasn't any "layoff" per se, but a day or two off if a driver wanted it, and the company never got upset about it. linehaul, p&d, dock, whatever, a day off was ok, not an actual layoff where a person would file for unemployment. is this what's happening? drivers filing for unemployment?

if so, i certainly do hope the carrier guys aren't being called in for replacements...

when i used to work for nemf, there wasn't any "layoff" per se, but a day or two off if a driver wanted it, and the company never got upset about it. linehaul, p&d, dock, whatever, a day off was ok, not an actual layoff where a person would file for unemployment. is this what's happening? drivers filing for unemployment?

if so, i certainly do hope the carrier guys aren't being called in for replacements...

Heard layoffs are just the begining of what is to happen. I guess the UNION is still just collecting the money/ got the money from the new hire and now does not care. DUMP that **** *** UNION get a real union in.

this is an actual lay-off, when i was hired 5 years ago they said that they would never do this

and this is what i was referring to. they would usually just accept a guy booking off for a day or two. there weren't any actual layoff's. but, my question i think has still gone unanswered. can those laid-off drivers file for unemployment? usually, you can, because you are subject to re-call from the employer, nad thusly, the unemployment office doesn't hassle anyone about collecting.

now, if its a "staggered" layoff, meaning work one day, off 3 days, work 3 days, off 5 days, the drivers can still file for unemployment benefits. the drivers just have to maintain strict control over thier layoff days..

and yeah, the union...........that one in particular makes most people do this>>:hysterical:........

and yeah, who would have "thunk" a company would never lie to a driver.....that's a first one for me too.............:hide:

Anyone who has ever worked in the freight industry knows that freight drops off in the winter. I've got 15 years in the bussiness with different companies and they all tighten the belt when volume drops. I would never wish for anyone to loose there job, but it's the way it goes. I've played the teamster game of waiting by the phone for the call that never comes, sleeping all day to be rested for the road run that never materializes and so on. It has to be done to save our jobs.

i don't disagree with the layoffs and duh i know all trucking companies stretch the truth. my problem is that without the driver's in the afternoon we tend to not be able to cover the work that means lost accounts less business during the slow period and more lay-offs it seems to be a real bad cycle

and this is what i was referring to. they would usually just accept a guy booking off for a day or two. there weren't any actual layoff's. but, my question i think has still gone unanswered. can those laid-off drivers file for unemployment? usually, you can, because you are subject to re-call from the employer, nad thusly, the unemployment office doesn't hassle anyone about collecting.

now, if its a "staggered" layoff, meaning work one day, off 3 days, work 3 days, off 5 days, the drivers can still file for unemployment benefits. the drivers just have to maintain strict control over thier layoff days..

and yeah, the union...........that one in particular makes most people do this>>:hysterical:........

and yeah, who would have "thunk" a company would never lie to a driver.....that's a first one for me too.............:hide:

those guys CAN apply for unemployment bennies. i work for NP and we got several guys working 1-2 days a week who get their unemployment with no problem.

those guys CAN apply for unemployment bennies. i work for NP and we got several guys working 1-2 days a week who get their unemployment with no problem.

this is good then, at least money coming in because of no fault of the driver.

thanks

No layoffs at 55 b/c of people on disability and vacation. There may or may not be layoffs in the near future.

Heard layoffs are just the begining of what is to happen. I guess the UNION is still just collecting the money/ got the money from the new hire and now does not care. DUMP that **** *** UNION get a real union in.
14 yrs with teamsters
and what the teamsters are any better?
been and done that all the union are the same they look out for the union (co.) firstand then the members

I've been in this business for 36 years now and every year at this time it gets slow. It's nothing to panic over. Things slow up right after Christmas and pick up again in March.With the economy being what it is at this time business is bound to be slow. It's not just NEMF, it's every freight carrier out there.