Lay-offs??

Very well said with one exception he wants us to do more with less, he is not in any financial danger personnally. He still maintains his rich man life no matter how the company does, he has his hands in many baskets.. We are being asked to work harder for no more than we got last year. He will continue the layoffs as he sees fit he is the owner of the co. I dont know what the future holds for NEMF but I will be here till I make a decision to the contrary, based on personnal needs

I was working for Hall's Motor transit when they closed their operation down in 1986.
I was in my 18th year.
About 9 months before they closed 93% of every worker in the company gave them 15% back.
They were operating in the black,in about 8 months.
In the middle of the 9th month they were going to give us all a retroactive pay check for our back pay.
This is what they agreed with the Teamsters on when they told them they needed us to give up the 15%.

Well 3 days before the due date to cut everybody their check,they closed their doors with the upper management running away with all the money.

Yes I was one of the 93% that gave them what they wanted to survive,in business.
At the end they owed me just over 6 grand.
After 3 years the bankrupt court setteled up with Halls and all of their creditors.
They were ordered to pay $.10 on the dollar.

I got 2 checks,after taxes that totaled about $595.00.

No I'm not bitter,I just retired this spring with my Teamsters pension for 20 years of service,my Overnite/UPS Freight pension of 22 years of service,and SSI.

I'm just sharing with you folks about my give back experience for what its worth.

With the gracy of God I was able to get on with Overnite,and earn a good pension.

As far as all the Halls folks who played all of us workers for fools,I can only say,may God have mercy on all of them,with the old saying,what goes around,.comes around.

yes it is true at nemf we are working more for the same we have had last year but we are still working..others are not...the company looks stronger than some out there...Mr. shevell didnt get to where he is by making poor business decisions...he's a smart business man..so he's rich... good for him..he worked for it ...he was smart when he bought the company when it was bankrupt... and he worked hard to get nemf to where it is today..from my understanding if you believe it or not ,but from multiple sources he has always tried to keep everyone working and he tries to do all for his employees..he has helped a worker from the elizabeth terminal when there house burned down he took money from his pocket to help them personally..can you say that fro these other companies that are run by a board of people?..i think not

yes it is true at nemf we are working more for the same we have had last year but we are still working..others are not...the company looks stronger than some out there...Mr. shevell didnt get to where he is by making poor business decisions...he's a smart business man..so he's rich... good for him..he worked for it ...he was smart when he bought the company when it was bankrupt... and he worked hard to get nemf to where it is today..from my understanding if you believe it or not ,but from multiple sources he has always tried to keep everyone working and he tries to do all for his employees..he has helped a worker from the elizabeth terminal when there house burned down he took money from his pocket to help them personally..can you say that fro these other companies that are run by a board of people?..i think not
I think we will enjoy the fact that we are privately owned and not publicly traded we might lose a few and I'm sorry to see that happen. but in the midst we are ready for a big event whatever that may be

Total to date at 51 2 Linehaul 2 p&d 2 Part time office and 1 salesman How is laying off a salesman gonna help the problems?

Total to date at 51 2 Linehaul 2 p&d 2 Part time office and 1 salesman How is laying off a salesman gonna help the problems?

Where is 51 ?? A sales rep was laid off in Newburgh also. I never heard of a company laying off sales guys. Seems like a move of desperation if you ask me.

Where is 51 ?? A sales rep was laid off in Newburgh also. I never heard of a company laying off sales guys. Seems like a move of desperation if you ask me.

It is not a move of desperation!! Sales needs to be accountable also.............just look at the inside (whole) picture.......you should see that doogie.

I think we will enjoy the fact that we are privately owned and not publicly traded we might lose a few and I'm sorry to see that happen. but in the midst we are ready for a big event whatever that may be

Being privately owned doesn't always work that way. I worked for APA.

Being privately owned doesn't always work that way. I worked for APA.

So what is the difference and often what I explain as the common factor in most all LTL carrier failures in the past 20 years? Teamster. This is not a bash by any means.

So what is the difference and often what I explain as the common factor in most all LTL carrier failures in the past 20 years? Teamster. This is not a bash by any means.

Good point. Union or non-union, if a company has a good management will mean success or failure.
I've seen a lot of non-union companies that shouldn't be in business. Just in the way they treat their employee's.

It is not a move of desperation!! Sales needs to be accountable also.............just look at the inside (whole) picture.......you should see that doogie.

Everyone is accountable, there is no debatiing that. However, there is a difference between fired (terminated) and laid off (for no reason). My understanding is that the reps that were let go, were simply a numbers thing, not a performance thing

Everyone is accountable, there is no debatiing that. However, there is a difference between fired (terminated) and laid off (for no reason). My understanding is that the reps that were let go, were simply a numbers thing, not a performance thing

I agree that that was the case, but that the decisions were likely made based on performance factors.

I agree that that was the case, but that the decisions were likely made based on performance factors.

If they were fired because of performance there would not have been a small little package. I believe benefits were covered for a while, as well as, some other things.

There were also sales reps in the same terminals and regions with less than stellar numbers who were kept on board. The reps were told that it was strictly economics and that is the way it has trickled through the entire company

If they were fired because of performance there would not have been a small little package. I believe benefits were covered for a while, as well as, some other things.

There were also sales reps in the same terminals and regions with less than stellar numbers who were kept on board. The reps were told that it was strictly economics and that is the way it has trickled through the entire company

My understanding is that is was just Health Insurance through the end of the year.

My understanding is that is was just Health Insurance through the end of the year.

Montana, I am not going to get into a pissing match in the great wide open. Your understanding is incorrect at this point in time.

Please feel free to PM if you would like to learn more about these "layoffs".

We are so busy at 52, we cannot put enough drivers out there to pick up all the freight. I have no idea what's going on but, I've been here for 6 years and have never seen it this busy. Almost all of us p&d are leaving the terminal with full trailors and yesterday we all came home with full trailors, and a lot of us went back out to make pick-ups.

We are so busy at 52, we cannot put enough drivers out there to pick up all the freight. I have no idea what's going on but, I've been here for 6 years and have never seen it this busy. Almost all of us p&d are leaving the terminal with full trailors and yesterday we all came home with full trailors, and a lot of us went back out to make pick-ups.

guess you really did not need that other rep after all ????:nutkick:

Not all of your guys did and what to you consider full??:popcorn:10 to 15 feet:popcorn:

At 68 we have more out bound than in bound. So if you can ask your coustomers for freight going our way. Thanks DRIVE ON BROTHER DRIVE ON!