Lay-offs??

Sales is accountable also

I agree that Salespeople are also accountable. The old saying "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." is very appropo here.
Those of you that think it represents a danger to us in potential lost business. be assured that Management accesses the impact of it's actions, before taking them. They know where the dead wood is. Let's hope that the first quarter of "09" passes quickly, so we can get back to growth objectives and expansion. We all want to know that real progress is being made and that our futures are assured.:1036316054::party-smiley-017:

Love all this "union pension" crap.. hahahah.. Ah, oy.. Unions kill jobs and ruin good companies, just look at the big three.

Anyway, still no layoffs at... Ah well, I wont say it, as soon as I do someone will get laid off. It's bad luck.

Love all this "union pension" crap.. hahahah.. Ah, oy.. Unions kill jobs and ruin good companies, just look at the big three.

Anyway, still no layoffs at... Ah well, I wont say it, as soon as I do someone will get laid off. It's bad luck.

It's very short sighted to blame the union for the big 3 mess. Believe it or not, but reps from the companies attend the contract negotiations. The Union can't get anything the company won't give. Neither side in the case you bring up gave any credit to foreign competition. By the time they did, the damage was done.

I think that you are entitled to your opinion, ignorant and uninformed as it may be, but I will disagree with your opinion, because you need to know all the facts before arriving at some stupid simplistic answer.
1.) Unions do not kill jobs. Greed kills Companies and jobs. In the case of Yellow Roadway Corporation, the current problem we are seeing now. It's not the fault of the Union that YRC is in tough financial straights. Here is a classic case of mis-management, of "management run-amuck". Yellow wanted to conquer the Trucking Industry by buying-up all it's competition, so they went ahead and did it.
They went so "hog wild" buying, they even bought a majority stake in a Chinese Company, on top of everything else. Now they are spread too thin and the Banks clamp down on their credit, How is that the Union's fault?
2.) Unions, especially in this day and age, are very often a worker's protection from harsh and unfair treatment. Never mind the extreme case of the highway workers leaning on a shovel that we see ever day, I'm talking about ordinary everyday people like you, who deserve fair treatment and a second chance. Without any advocate to watch your back, you are fair game to any little pee-on supervisor that enjoys tormenting people.
3.) Lastly, if not for Unions trying to negotiate better wages and benefits for their members, we can all watch as the new "World Economy" comes to America. Forget owning your own house or driving a brand new SUV. Don't look to do more than "just survive". We have a middle class in this country because of Labor Unions. Nowadays, we need to do our best to stop giving up the American Dream to defeatist negative attitudes.
There have been some examples of mismanagement within the Labor Unions, over the years. Unfortunately, the few bad situations that have gotten the publicity have overshadowed the good things that Unions have done for their members.
I wish you Happy Holidays and I hope that you find time to thank God for the freedom we enjoy in this Country.
God Bless you and your Family.
:USA:

1.) Unions do not kill jobs. Greed kills Companies and jobs.

Greedy companies, for the most part, stay in business and keep people employed. Greedy unions eventually make it impossible for a company to operate. If the unions are so good at making cars, then they should use their bankrolls to buy the big three and build a car however they want to.

With the UAW, is it any wonder why Ford cannot open a plant like this in the United States? - detnews.com | Webvideo | Ford's most advanced assembly plant operates in rural Brazil

2.) Unions, especially in this day and age, are very often a worker's protection from harsh and unfair treatment.

Give me a break. This isn't 1905 and we dont have 8 year olds losing their fingers in textile louvres. That's when you needed unions, their necessity is over.

Lastly, if not for Unions trying to negotiate better wages and benefits for their members, we can all watch as the new "World Economy" comes to America.

All the IAM has done since they came to our terminal is lie to us. They lied about being able to reject the contract if it wasn't to our liking. They lied when they said our dues would be $10/wk. The braintrusts cut line-haul detention/delay time by 50%. This is your union. And as far as the "New World Economy," you can blame your liberal union loving hero, Bill Clinton for that (NAFTA).

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours also.

The I.A.M. works very hard at what they do for us and you. You need to attend a membership meeting to see for yourself. The BA's are out there 7 days a week working their tails off, with almost no family life, to make this a great Union, and to keep you working, so that you can earn decent wages, pension, and medical.

The I.A.M. works very hard at what they do for us and you. You need to attend a membership meeting to see for yourself. The BA's are out there 7 days a week working their tails off, with almost no family life, to make this a great Union, and to keep you working, so that you can earn decent wages, pension, and medical.

One contract meeting was enough.. You know, amidst all the screaming and swearing and people wanting to jump over the table and strangle the Union rep for lying to us.

Decent wages - Yes, cutting delay/detention pay by 50% and later, increasing dues by $5 without telling us.

Pension - Who cares about a POS pension that may not be there in 20 years..? Ever hear of Bethlehem Steel, United Airlines..? I assure you, the union got their money though.

If this was a great Union, there would be a national contract. Companies at least are honest about wanting to screw you over.. Unions do it under the guise of wanting to take care of you.

More Layoofs

Revenue below $1 million on Friday. If this trends continues get ready for round 3 of layoffs.

You could always go out ad find teamster job if you don't like it here. The job is what the job is. Work it or leave. It is really that simple. No one forced you to apply and no one will hold you hear against your will. You knew what the wages and working conditons were. Now you want to blame the union becuase you don' t like what is going on. Grow up and be a man and take resposnbility for youself.

At term #1 we just called back 5 P&D drivers out of 12 who were on layoff, and another one is working the dock on that split shift.

One contract meeting was enough.. You know, amidst all the screaming and swearing and people wanting to jump over the table and strangle the Union rep for lying to us.

Decent wages - Yes, cutting delay/detention pay by 50% and later, increasing dues by $5 without telling us.

Pension - Who cares about a POS pension that may not be there in 20 years..? Ever hear of Bethlehem Steel, United Airlines..? I assure you, the union got their money though.

If this was a great Union, there would be a national contract. Companies at least are honest about wanting to screw you over.. Unions do it under the guise of wanting to take care of you.

You sure do like beating the same subjects into the ground don't you? Well lets look at some facts that you seem to be conveniently over-looking.

First of all, you talk about the cut in you delay and breakdown pay. True, but how often does this effect you. Chicago has all the best equipment, and everyone else waits on you guys cuz you're always late.

Still on the subject of money, what was your raise in 2008? Oh yeah, you didn't have a contract and there was a wage freeze. On 1/1/09 your LH rate will go up 1.5 cpm and city rate will go up .50/ hr. Just last week the non-union personnel were told that the 08 wage freeze would continue, while you get your raise per the contract. In fact, you know exactly when you'll get your raise and when it'll be every year for the next 5 years.

Another gain is the $5 for going to a meet point. Another plus for you guys, since you all go to meet points.

Your opinions on the pension are just that, unless you have a crystal ball. As far as the contribution, if you're not happy with that, talk to your stewards that negotiated your contract.

Health insurance is another upside. I think you're an original expansion driver. I'm sure you remember being told insurance was gonna be a certain amount when we started in August, then surprise, it went up in January. Your rates are now locked in for the next 5 years. I think the Ohio terminals got a better deal, and I have no idea why your stewards ok'd the 4 tier system, but at least you know what you're gonna pay. You also have vision coverage as well.

Another plus to the union is a grievance procedure that protects your seniority. I know that at least 2 of the Ohio terminals have had people terminated, and brought back thanks to the union. And before you say that maybe they deserved it, one case in particular was a driver that they wanted to terminate his probation (cuz they were laying off), only to be discovered after the fact that he was no longer on probation. He was back the next day from what I understand.

I think I've made my point that you can nit pick on two or three things, or you can look at the deal as a whole. Your choice.

Be safe out there driver.:1036316054:

Big lay offs will come...soon..should be right around the corner..the last 2 years they were after xmas....office,supervisors,dock and drivers..they have the lists of names....business drops off dramatically after xmas and when the dust settles with the vac and holidays the axe will fall....ive seen it happen the last coupple of years...and freight flow is not any better..

not good!

How are straight truck drivers in South Plainfield still doing 12 to 13 hundred a week?
While trailer drivers are being let go?

well as for layoffs at term 52..we did not participate in what was supposed to be round 3 we made the number 2 spot among all terminals for revenue. so congrats to term 52..we all need the freight and lets hope things get better real soon..one problem is we lose freight since we do not go to most places direct...southeast,midwest etc..hopefully when things pick up we grow bigger .....have a wonderful holiday season to everyone and keep on truckin!

With the UAW, is it any wonder why Ford cannot open a plant like this in the United States? - detnews.com | Webvideo | Ford's most advanced assembly plant operates in rural Brazil
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours also.
That $5 per day per worker wouldn't have anything to do with the cost of that plant, now would it?
And the Big 3's reluctance to stop selling the same, huge-profit pos's with different covers wouldn't have anything to do with their market-share loss, now would it?

Yes layoffs are here for January,and February, but if you are new to LTL, this happens every year, to all LTL carriers. Most new guys do not know or understand this. When you have a few years seniority, layoffs will not effect you. Need to put in your time.

Better days are coming, watch this year,in April or May what happens, or maybe before April, you are going to be very surprised.