Yellow | Lay-offs

chris

TB Lurker
Credits
At 680- Bottom man was told he was being laid off this friday. Was also told he would not work unless he got permission from District manager and then it would only be one day. We were also told it could go deeper next week. We have 21 guys. How many guys have been laid off at your terminal?

Hey chris.........at 671, they have laid off 4 switchers and I think 6 P+D drivers. Toxic will know the P+D numbers for sure. I've got a feeling the dock and L/H will be soon. Last year RDWY laid off around Nov. 15th and didn't work any of them until after the 15th of January!! In my opinion, It's got more to do with H&W and holiday pay, than the drop in freight levels. DS.

christopher3573 said:
At 680- Bottom man was told he was being laid off this friday. Was also told he would not work unless he got permission from District manager and then it would only be one day. We were also told it could go deeper next week. We have 21 guys. How many guys have been laid off at your terminal?
They laid the bottom 4 men off in Louisville, Ky (Holland) today, Friday is their last day to work. They were told about the same thing, won't work until next February and if they do they will only work 1 day and no bennies, per the upper management.

Docksteward said:
In my opinion, It's got more to do with H&W and holiday pay, than the drop in freight levels. DS.

You are so right on that one DC......this is something that has to be addressed in the 2008 NMFA! They do it, and then force many to work OT. It is cheaper to pay the OT than to pay H&W and pension.....but it is abused too much!.....KK:ontopic:

once again it makes it hard to attract new members. (nobody wants a job wih little security) I left a full time job at saia and when I interviewed at roadway I asked the tm. about that. He did not mention layoffs just that I might miss a day now and then. Now 2 months down the road I feel awfully insecure

Kennesaw Kid said:
......this is something that has to be addressed in the 2008 NMFA! It is cheaper to pay the OT than to pay H&W and pension.....but it is abused too much!.....KK:ontopic:
Abuse, that is the key word, here. I'm sure when the language was put in, It was never intended to be used like it has been. Just my 2 cents. DS.

The bottom man they laid off was hired 3 months ago. That is the bad part. It took all year to hire a qualified person , now he gets the boot for a couple of months. Plus we have 2 guys retiring at the end of Nov. and Dec. You guys are right, they will work the rest of us 60 hours a week. Some will do it but half of us will work our 10 hours and go home...

So far St. Louis hasn't layed off. They usually do it right before Thanksgiving.

We are waiting to see what they do here. We have had a few retire this year and they haven't replaced them so we will see how that affects the numbers that will be layed off.

layoff been around forever it took over six years at cf before i did't get one at this time of the year i ask for something to done about in my first contract in 1979 and everyone after it needed to been in the first nmfa in 1956 hope you get it retire now still think about all YOU brothers out there AND SISTER TO

layoff been around forever it took over six years at cf before i did't get one at this time of the year i ask for something to done about in my first contract in 1979 and everyone after it needed to been in the first nmfa in 1956 hope you get it retire now still think about all YOU brothers out there AND SISTER TO

Let's save some money???

I found out tonight that 18 dock guys at 671 are being laid off Saturday night. Our supplement reads that if a laid off man works the week before, the week of, or the week after a holiday, he gets paid for it. So if they lay off Saturday, they don't get the Thanksgiving pay. I also found out that most of the guys that were laid off were hired around the end of November through January, so they won't get paid for their hire date anniversary, either. So the way I figure it..........RDWY is willing to pay everyone else OT in order to get out of paying the laid off men around 6 days each holiday pay. :whistle: I did hear from some of the guys that came in on the COO say that if they worked a day within 30 days of the holiday they would get paid for it, so that would explain why some terminals have already laid off. I hate it for my guys, they got hired in '99-2000 and have really been on a rough ride since then. DS.

Docksteward said:
I found out tonight that 18 dock guys at 671 are being laid off Saturday night. Our supplement reads that if a laid off man works the week before, the week of, or the week after a holiday, he gets paid for it. So if they lay off Saturday, they don't get the Thanksgiving pay. I also found out that most of the guys that were laid off were hired around the end of November through January, so they won't get paid for their hire date anniversary, either. So the way I figure it..........RDWY is willing to pay everyone else OT in order to get out of paying the laid off men around 6 days each holiday pay. :whistle: I did hear from some of the guys that came in on the COO say that if they worked a day within 30 days of the holiday they would get paid for it, so that would explain why some terminals have already laid off. I hate it for my guys, they got hired in '99-2000 and have really been on a rough ride since then. DS.

err....i used to work at yellow as a casual, and roadway as a casual for a 2nd job a couple of days a week.....
...and i was busting my *** to become a regular.....

.....that is until con-way gave me a call....and now my life is better....

..cant say this will work out for everyone....

but i came into con-way right before all their driving school guys graduated, so when they grad i had them all under me ....so now i have some strap....

i went from being a casual with little or no bennis, no job security,

to now im a full time never worked less than 50 hours a week (70 most weeks) full benefits guy on the board

....and to think i would have busted *** to become a regular then get layed off....and deal with all that bull AFTER dealing with all the casual bullcrap....

and were not talking about layoffs dues to low volume but because the company found a way to get around the unions high standards......and this didnt come from me, you guys arethe ones that said it

YellowColoredTrucks said:
....and to think i would have busted *** to become a regular then get layed off....and deal with all that bull AFTER dealing with all the casual bullcrap....

and were not talking about layoffs dues to low volume but because the company found a way to get around the unions high standards......and this didnt come from me, you guys arethe ones that said it
Hey YCT........I'm not going to turn this into a Union/ Non Union debate, the standards you speak about were agreed to by the company. All we are saying is that the company can layoff due to "lack of freight". The biggest complaint is that there is no "lack of freight" because of the amount of OT being worked. We have the right to file a complaint to try and rectify this situation. That's all. :police: The main thing is that we all know that RDWY is doing this company wide and not just at one location. Without Truckingboards, we wouldn't know as much as we do!! DS.

Docksteward said:
Hey YCT........I'm not going to turn this into a Union/ Non Union debate, the standards you speak about were agreed to by the company. All we are saying is that the company can layoff due to "lack of freight". The biggest complaint is that there is no "lack of freight" because of the amount of OT being worked. We have the right to file a complaint to try and rectify this situation. That's all. :police: The main thing is that we all know that RDWY is doing this company wide and not just at one location. Without Truckingboards, we wouldn't know as much as we do!! DS.

yea sorry if i sounded like i was doing a union/non-union thing...

i was just saying what worked out for me....
never said it would work for everyone...

hell i had it going good at yellow when i was there...and in my position (young, single, nothing MUCH to lose) i was in a position to put up with it and get a rewarding career with all the union bennies (including pension)

....but not many ppl are in that position...they need their 40 hours atleast!
to feed families an dsuch

yeah truckingboards helps out it's great....and it's free....
cant complain

OK brother, I was just making sure. I respect your viewpoint. Nothing wrong with it. Not everyone can deal with working a union job, I know what you mean. DS.

I was single and had no kids and lived in a apartment. Zero responsibilities as far as a husband, father, homeowner for my 15 months of punishment while trying to get on at Roadway back in 1987. In 1988 I made it. :Banane01: :Banane01: December was the month. I was layed off within 15 days of being hired. I did not work and they were pissed. I used the layoff for my vacation that year since I was by the phone for 15 months as casual. I looked at it as a vacation for me when I had no vacation time built up yet since I was just hired. I was layed off for two weeks and never been layed off since. I was lucky!!!