Yellow | Lay-offs

Normally I would say they are getting ready for freight to pick up, but it's not like RDWY to be pro active about anything. The way it usually works is freight picks up then a week or two later they decide to react!!:duh: Tell me I'm not the only one that sees this. DS.

Thanks to behind close doors deals, Ba tells us no claims:chairshot:

Heres another one for ya. Not sure about this one either, since the rules seem to magically change all the time. Landsdale driver comes out of 211 to 120, takes120freight to 148, then goes home, not sure if it had freight. Did that twice. I got the pay#s

Was finally laid off today. We're ready to bust out with freight. Guys working 12-14 hour days. Was told it was to make it look good to the stockholders due to the recent earnings report. Told I would work on layoff,WTF. I will sleep late, watch Judge Judy religously, and take my sweet time gettin to the mail box. The coffee will always be hot and a beer at noon will be the norm. Plus it's gonna be fricking cold next week, -20 Monday morning. Hope they fix the truck? I use while I'm gone. My confidence is shaken, we've got the 3rd prez. of RDWY in a years time. Reminds me of a juanta in a third world country. And all this after 11 years, jeeeeeeeeeeez whiiiiiiiiz!

Well, well ,well. Man under me is forced in because he didn't sign off not to work because he made side deal with the boss in the past. Nice when your brother whines out one side and then takes it up the chute with the other. Verbal no to work isn't good enough.

Does anyone remember when we were forced OT and everyone layed down? Was just thinking when I first started, and got forced and was working away, and I got the hey kid what are you doing? What do you mean? We don't bust our hump on OT, we're taking work from others. Huh, we got guys waiting to come in and the casuals trying to get work need hours too. Ah, so we do minimal work? Yeah just enough to keep outta trouble, but enough to let them know we aren't going to let this happen. Lo and behold, everyone got called into work. Hmmmm, guess thats a different age.

Lay Off's At 211

More laid off today 4 on the dock 2 in the city, company said it is because of the loss of revenue due to the weather. They will say just about anything! company also said that it is not just 211 but several other terminals. :chairshot:

Hey guys, 671 heard the same thing yesterday. Laying off 11, because of the weather. When mgmt was asked if the men would be brought back soon after the weather lets the freight flow again.........."not necessarily"!!:chairshot: What is going to happen is we are going to be forced 50 hours and 6th and 7th punches are going to be worked 5 and 6 days a week. This, in my opinion, is subterfuge. :nutkick: Keeping men laid off and using OT to make up the hours. I for one are sick and tired of this, I'm sure the laid off men are too!! DS.

DS, this mut be a company-wide tactic. at 705 , management is using qualifying days to force overtime when it's needed.(A qualifying day allows management to use as much overtime as they see fit to work the freight without "qualifying" a layed off employee back to work).
To me, overtime has become a gigantic catch-22. Some guys want it; others don't. If a senior man turns it down, he forces the junior man that might not want it. Or, the senior man turns it down because men are on layoff, but when those same layoffs get called for work, they won't come in. You know, I don't want to be in the shoes of those guys that are layed off, but alot of people before me fought and secured our rights as Teamsters. And overtime was one of those rights. No one likes how the company has twisted what should be a benefit into a management tool. Evidently this has been a common practice at Yellow. We need to find out what they are doing to handle the situation. Just my thoughts...peace.
Hey guys, 671 heard the same thing yesterday. Laying off 11, because of the weather. When mgmt was asked if the men would be brought back soon after the weather lets the freight flow again.........."not necessarily"!!:chairshot: What is going to happen is we are going to be forced 50 hours and 6th and 7th punches are going to be worked 5 and 6 days a week. This, in my opinion, is subterfuge. :nutkick: Keeping men laid off and using OT to make up the hours. I for one are sick and tired of this, I'm sure the laid off men are too!! DS.

DS, this mut be a company-wide tactic. at 705 , management is using qualifying days to force overtime when it's needed.(A qualifying day allows management to use as much overtime as they see fit to work the freight without "qualifying" a layed off employee back to work).
To me, overtime has become a gigantic catch-22. Some guys want it; others don't. If a senior man turns it down, he forces the junior man that might not want it. Or, the senior man turns it down because men are on layoff, but when those same layoffs get called for work, they won't come in. You know, I don't want to be in the shoes of those guys that are layed off, but alot of people before me fought and secured our rights as Teamsters. And overtime was one of those rights. No one likes how the company has twisted what should be a benefit into a management tool. Evidently this has been a common practice at Yellow. We need to find out what they are doing to handle the situation. Just my thoughts...peace.
We must remember that RDWY can set up the laid off men to make sure that they come in, instead of calling them and hoping that they do. 671 did it over and over the first part of last year.
In respect of seniority and OT, if I am forced and a senior man turns it down, that's seniority. Again, when this happens with men in layoff it's RDWY using the contract language against the intent. You are right ppaddy.........the company is twisting the language and it's up to us to call them on their actions. DS.

We were told at 680 that the new people in charge are strictly by the numbers. We made our goal in o/r and growth, profit ,etc. BUT, we are over on our P&D hours by alot so more lay-offs are coming. Now what freakin sense does that make? If you make 20 goals and fail 1, corp says lay-off.

Hey D.S I had to get out the dictionary to look up the word subterfuge. If anybody is wondering what the word means, as I was, It means "a deceptive trick or device"

Hey D.S I had to get out the dictionary to look up the word subterfuge. If anybody is wondering what the word means, as I was, It means "a deceptive trick or device"
Hey mud........I had to do the same thing when one of my guys was issued a warning letter, by RDWY, for going home sick after being forced OT. :chairshot: DS.

Here at 120 they brought back 15 drivers, so they say. I haven't see it for myself nut it came from relay management. Also guys on the dock have been working 2 hrs overtime, six and seven punches for the past 2 weeks. Management crying they have no man power to work freight, losing more at coo. ???????????