ABF | Layoff At 004

Steward of the Rock

TB Veteran
Credits
Hello everyone. I just wanted to let everyone know that might be interested that fourteen (14) road drivers received their layoff notice this past week here at Little Rock (004). So far there has not been a layoff in the City/Dock or Shop, but it is starting to get a little slow on the dock where I work. I would be interested in hearing from others out there if the layoffs have already started at your terminal. Hopefully this time won't be as bad as it was in 2002 and 2003.

At 051 we have 10 laid off of the dock and 2 out of the city. I don't know about linehaul and I am pretty sure our shop has never laid off.:hide: HD75

Company Layoff's

I am new to the industry and as a new driver never knew about layoff periods in the industry. As I read thru many company forums, I am shocked, yet disappointed to see fellow professionals being laidoff. Is this common during this time of year, or is this due in part to the economy etc..... For those facing a layoff, I have been there, keep your head up!! As I looked into this line of work, I was told that this industry is an essential and we are trained professionals always in need. :USA:

I am new to the industry and as a new driver never knew about layoff periods in the industry. As I read thru many company forums, I am shocked, yet disappointed to see fellow professionals being laidoff. Is this common during this time of year, or is this due in part to the economy etc..... For those facing a layoff, I have been there, keep your head up!! As I looked into this line of work, I was told that this industry is an essential and we are trained professionals always in need. :USA:

Every year they always lay off a few at 051. I think the worst I've seen is 26 in 2001-2002. We all were pretty nervous that year. Last year we only had 4 off of the City and 4 off the Dock.HD75

layoffs

At 047 we have weekly layoffs. The list goes up usually on Tues. and men are offered work as it becomes available through Fri. Then Sun. night we start all over again. This year seems worst than some others but better than years that this would start in early Nov.

Anymore layoffs at any of the terminals out there this week? Here at 004 we still have the 14 Road Drivers on layoff, but so far none from the city/dock although that could change in the next few weeks (getting slower by the day).

Layoffs

No layoffs to my knowledge here @ 005 however,I haven't been called in a week. I think that one of the other drivers hasen't worked much either

They got 1 more City and 1 more dock today.

That makes 5 City and 13 dock. It's already worse than last year and we haven't even made it to Christmas yet.

I was told by my dispatcher this morning that the higher ups have told them they can only use so many people per day no matter what. I guess that means if you want a pick-up you'd better call FedEx or Con-way cause we don't have the manpower to come and get it.

I still don't see how you run a trucking company without enough truck drivers. Maybe the pencil pushers in Ft. Smith can figure it out.:soapbox:
HD75

I guess Bob D******* statement in the last issue of "BY-LINES" about limiting cartage and rail-use as a means to keep people working was just another instance of them blowing smoke up our a--. All the cartage agents will be busy when they can't get ahold of anyone at 1:30 in the afternoon.
Just what everyone on lay-off wants to do... baby sit the phone.

Jellybean, no last names please.

Thanks

Here at 004 we just had three more road drivers laid off bringing the total up to 17 from the road side. Still no layoffs on the dock/city side but I expect it to happen in the next few weeks as it is really slowing down. Trubigtymer, if you are reading this please let me know if 064 has any layoffs yet as our Branch Man. is telling us that we are the only DC that has not had any city/dock layoffs so far.