ABF | Layoff At 004

I overheard the branch manager telling a local dispatcher that ABF is "parking" 150 city tractors "for a while" until things pick back up. He said they don't expect things to change until the end of the First quarter of '07. Also, another city dispatcher told me that he can only use 17 city drivers per day no matter what. Basically, no one extra can work. They only call us layoffs in when someone on a bid calls off sick.:furious:
HD75

I overheard the branch manager telling a local dispatcher that ABF is "parking" 150 city tractors "for a while" until things pick back up. He said they don't expect things to change until the end of the First quarter of '07. Also, another city dispatcher told me that he can only use 17 city drivers per day no matter what. Basically, no one extra can work. They only call us layoffs in when someone on a bid calls off sick.:furious:
HD75

not good:nono: :nono:

3road drivers at 222 orlando laid off but they keep taking ellenwood drivers out of the hotel and sending them south to 220 305 and 221. plenty of grivances piling up by the guys on layoff. company doesn't seem to mind or care though

as a type this, friday december 22nd, there are no layoffs on the dock/city board at 064, your terminal manager was blowing smoke up your you know what... the laid off road drivers are being trained on the dock to become "preferred casuals", until things pick back up, also, dayton just hired two more casuals for full time this past week....

I heard that the reason why so many layoffs was because ABF had planned on the freight to be moving more than it is now. I heard that they went on a hiring spree in anticipation of increased sales (freight).

Now that is what I heard, You know how that goes. :whistling:

Thanks Smokestack. Ive been enjoying following these forums for a little while now. I havent had much say I guess. But if I ever do its hard to shut me up. Sterward of the Rock will testify that.

Just a quick question guys.............RDWY has started a "hard layoff", meaning layoff with no calls to work. Are you're guys being called?? DS.

Just a quick question guys.............RDWY has started a "hard layoff", meaning layoff with no calls to work. Are you're guys being called?? DS.

So far here in Little Rock at the Big Green we have not had a layoff on the dock/city, but we have 17 laidoff on the Roadside. I don't know if any of those guys are getting any runs or not, but I will check with one of our Road Stewards and find out.

Just got word that 004 was laying off 10 dock/city employees effective Sunday 01/07/07. I would be interested in hearing from any other terminals about their layoff status. We still have 17 road drivers laidoff as well.

At 051 we have 5 City, 13 dock currently laid off. I heard this morning that it's possible to get 2 Yard and 2 more dock this week. I am the Number 1 person on layoff and today was only my second working day of the week(Sunday and today). Thank goodness for the holiday on Monday. It sure doesn't look good here.:shout: :wtflol: