Yellow | Layoff #'s @ Your Barn

CVE/RFO...5 dock/yard, approx 56 road, 9 city, 1 office. First dock/yard layoffs started this week! Road and city have had drivers laid off all summer!

TCY- as of this past Friday, I heard there were 3 laid off. Apparently KC wanted us to lay off either 16 or 18 but our TM got by with only 3. I'm sure when we really hit the skids more will follow.

Hey Tbone I was just down there in TUL and found out that Earl moved back to Lubbock. Wish I could have told him so long, he is pretty good guy he will be missed at TUl for sure. Tell Re-tread,Gary and Goose that I said hello!

IND-- last I heard, 25 Road. 8 City/dock/yard, effective next Friday. 4 on soft layof (they can sign up to work)/ 4 on hard layoff(they can't sign up to work. It must be a numbers thing-- for instance, they can't sign up, but yet we'll probably use casuals to replace?????) (having said that-- I haven't seen a casual for a couple of weeks...) One terminated, no way even the Union tries to get his job back (fired several times for absenteeism already). Don't know of any in the shop or the office....

IND-- last I heard, 25 Road. 8 City/dock/yard, effective next Friday. 4 on soft layof (they can sign up to work)/ 4 on hard layoff(they can't sign up to work. It must be a numbers thing-- for instance, they can't sign up, but yet we'll probably use casuals to replace?????) (having said that-- I haven't seen a casual for a couple of weeks...)
Jimmy,
I'm not sure what kind of agreements you have there but I can't imagine anyone laid off can't sign up for work. I can see the Company not using them no matter what (hard layoff) but there can be no way a casual could be used over a laid off man in my opinion.

Jimmy,
I'm not sure what kind of agreements you have there but I can't imagine anyone laid off can't sign up for work. I can see the Company not using them no matter what (hard layoff) but there can be no way a casual could be used over a laid off man in my opinion.

If a casual man is used in front of a laid off man and he/she is singed up for work then the laid off man will get PAYED if it is filled on also IND Road has no casual drivers and the laid off drivers(25) are not able to work. CDO will not let dispatch work them even when the board is exhausted:nutkick:

JE,
That was my point. I should have added that a casual can work ahead of a laid off city/dockman only if the board is exhausted and all regulars who want to work have been called in.

The road situation you/ve described is referred to as a hard layoff......where no matter how busy it may get CDO will not allow them to use laid off drivers.......and there haven't been any road casuals in the Central Region for many years now.

POR Portland, Oregon.
Has 3 dock/city drivers laid off.
Went in tonight at my bid time, 1800. Had both laid off guys and casuals working...
Not sure if Line has anyone laid off right now. Will check around

JE,
....and there haven't been any road casuals in the Central Region for many years now.

question, what do you call a bottom of the board road driver{10-15%} on a senority board? ...... answer .. a casual i know first hand i was one for 3+ @yellow columbus

question, what do you call a bottom of the board road driver{10-15%} on a senority board? ...... answer .. a casual i know first hand i was one for 3+ @yellow columbus
The use of casual road drivers was removed from the Central Supplement in 1991. Are you saying you had no seniority for 3+ years? If you had seniority you were not a casual. You might not have worked regularly but that didn't make you a casual. Once you were off of your 30 day probation you were a regular. A casual is an extra worker who has no Union protection and can be let go at any time for any reason.

regular casuals

I believe dgfcby means that when a terminal overhires and manipulates the work calls in order to leave the same regular drivers on the bottom waitingfor days at a time, only to be used part time "if needed", these men become the on-call driver pool. In effect, casuals. The only difference being union representation and wage/benefit compensation. This amounts to an end run around the prohibition against an actual casual road board.