Yellow | Layoff #'s @ Your Barn

I just got a call placing me and another 20 or so ATL Dockemen off of layoff and back on the unassigned slot. Don't know how long it will last - but good news for a sec...

waggs go back and read your post 227 nothing about rewriteing history................no1 how can this be a savior to ltl pensions , if the utility driver is going to cost jobs how does more get paid into the fund with less drivers? no2 i have to disagree with that 10-13% figure. ive work for abf yellow and holland and none at the bottom of most boards have less than 5 years, no3 cenrtal states don't care where your 5 years come from. it DOES NOT have to be 5 years at one place (all yellow,roadway etc..)no4 the company will have senior men fighting over the utility positions.count on that75%won't have a chance for them

1. I was giving more info on my thought process to clarify, not repeating what I said. When you start seeing all the road drivers losing their jobs off the bottom of the boards, they will be coming from the Unvested bottom. The union gets to keep your contributions, even if you are not vested and lose your job. It has more money, since it no longer is obligated to all the people on the bottom that get screwed out of having a pension.
2. I won't argue the percentage since neither of us has access to the true number.
3. I was in a non LTL occupation and was told the time vested there does not count toward my 5 here even though I had no break in service. If the person I talked to a Central States was wrong, someone please confirm this, because I am vested then.
4. Senior men from the city or dock or yard maybe. Why would a road driver want to take a pay decrease, unless he already covets the turn board and doesn't mind doing dock, yard and city work? Figure it out, the Utility driver rolling along for about $23 an hour w/a 40 hour limit vs the Road Driver doing the same work for .58 cents a mile averaging 55 mph or $30 p/hr. The Utility Driver has a 40 hr limit, the Road Driver can work up to 70 on a whim.

1. I was giving more info on my thought process to clarify, not repeating what I said. When you start seeing all the road drivers losing their jobs off the bottom of the boards, they will be coming from the Unvested bottom. The union gets to keep your contributions, even if you are not vested and lose your job. It has more money, since it no longer is obligated to all the people on the bottom that get screwed out of having a pension.
2. I won't argue the percentage since neither of us has access to the true number.
3. I was in a non LTL occupation and was told the time vested there does not count toward my 5 here even though I had no break in service. If the person I talked to a Central States was wrong, someone please confirm this, because I am vested then.
4. Senior men from the city or dock or yard maybe. Why would a road driver want to take a pay decrease, unless he already covets the turn board and doesn't mind doing dock, yard and city work? Figure it out, the Utility driver rolling along for about $23 an hour w/a 40 hour limit vs the Road Driver doing the same work for .58 cents a mile averaging 55 mph or $30 p/hr. The Utility Driver has a 40 hr limit, the Road Driver can work up to 70 on a whim.[/QUO please again i say the union DOES NOT get any money from non vested people!!!! that money belongs to central states and they keep it. central states and the IBT are not the same thing.the union wants as many members as they can get not less
NO2 i agree
NO3 if you was not in central states in your previous job then no your not vested untill you get 5 years with central states
NO4 i think almost all utility drivers will come from city dock people(they have the most senority) most all would get overtime on there runs. why hurry to get back in 8 hours if getting paid by the hour? i don't see anything that says they can't get overtime.
no5 we both agree we are teamsters and are in this fight together!!!!!!!!!!! we really shouldn't be having this discussion on this thread (off topic) i'm just pointing out some things.

4. Senior men from the city or dock or yard maybe. Why would a road driver want to take a pay decrease, unless he already covets the turn board and doesn't mind doing dock, yard and city work? Figure it out, the Utility driver rolling along for about $23 an hour w/a 40 hour limit vs the Road Driver doing the same work for .58 cents a mile averaging 55 mph or $30 p/hr. The Utility Driver has a 40 hr limit, the Road Driver can work up to 70 on a whim.

A: only if you joined the Teamsters prior to 1985 did any non-union job time count (I know-- I had 17 years non prior to joining- but joined in 1987). They USED to credit you all of your time in the industry, UP to 20 years worth; but then you never "advanced"-- you would work a year, drop a year of credited-- until you actually HAD 20 years in to get the 20. Then, anything After the twenty went as worked.

B: Local Cartage, under the FMSCA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act) here goes by 60 hours in 7 days limit-- not 40 as you say. They have the option, according to FMSCA to use the 70 in 8 days rule but Yellow won't. (Holland Used to do this, I'm told). I've read the Law-- it says Carriers must choose one or the other and then be consistant, not going back and forth to "make it work"...Yellow Local Boards (at least here) opt for the 60 in 7. It's actually sometimes easier to "pick up hours" under the 60 in 7, since we don't use the reset. Use them all up in a few days under the 8 day rule, and you sit until quit picking up zeros. At a 12 hour a day Utility Job, one could actually work his maximum and get the weekend off in the City-- then go right back at it! OR-- as I've seen in the Changes page-- work a 4 day, ten hour straight time bid for 4 14s, and be legal.......

waggs for the last time the union does NOT get any money from non vested people who don't return to work!!!!!!!!!!!!! that money is central states to keep in all of our pensions.. central states and the IBT are operated seperatly..

I heard they called 10 back to the dock in CVE last week. I may even get a bid start time. No matter how bad it is, I'll take it.

Does anyone know if anyone else is getting layed off or is yellow starting to bring everyone back.... just asking because there is no change at AQE.

They brought a lot of us, at ATL dock, back in the last 2 weeks, but I am used to them calling us back on and then laying us off again. Happened once already last year...

stl city cut three bid 2city 1 yard all m-f starts also one has resigned goes into effect february 23 2008 business conditions t.k.scanlon stl

No Change at AQE. I dont understand why there not bringing the Lay offs back! We Seem to be busy.... I heard they might lay off again this week....