New Penn | layoff

think the closeing of alvan hasn't hurt us freight wise? we used to ship 4-6 loads a day to alvan, and get at least that many loads in return from them. now we have been giveing freight to holland to deliver. one,we get nothing back from them, and two,they haven't been makeing 2nd day deliver on freight we send them, and were lucky to send out 6-7 loads a week now.we keep loseing this freight cause holland can't make 2nd day deliver for us.hope the powers that be at NPME can find a carrier that wants our bussiness and can make deliver times before we lose all that freight.it sucks to be layed off,just like it sucks #03 has had 8-13 road drivers sitting at home on nightly bases. i know nobody wants to here or belive this,but with rdwy and yellow pushing there ue guy, and overnight deal, along with cutting rates to get this freight. no matter what your job is, it's time to jack-it up a noch or two,or there will be alot more guys lay-ed off or sitting at home before this economey gets back on track.

You would think with Jevic going out of business we would have a liitle more freight it being the busy season, well I guess the economy doesnt help. Just have to hang in there to see if turns around.

Here at big R we just started using two of your divers that been on layoff for more then a year.We haven't had a layoff in about 4 months or so.It seems we picked up a lot more next day freight since this new U.E. change.

Are annual layoffs not the norm for New Penn?? We have them every year at Reddaway, just not normally before the first of the year. This layoff in August is unprecedented for us.

You would think with Jevic going out of business we would have a liitle more freight it being the busy season, well I guess the economy doesnt help. Just have to hang in there to see if turns around.

as soon as Jevic went out of biz, we were all told by our TM that we would not be targeting their frt. the main reason given was that their frt. was not profitable. i thought maybe we could get some of it but after talking with a few salesman, it was definately a no-go. New Century got the most of that frt. because they charge sh*tty rates. NPME would be fools if they touched that crap. it's good frt but it aint worth it to haul it.

as soon as Jevic went out of biz, we were all told by our TM that we would not be targeting their frt. the main reason given was that their frt. was not profitable. i thought maybe we could get some of it but after talking with a few salesman, it was definately a no-go. New Century got the most of that frt. because they charge sh*tty rates. NPME would be fools if they touched that crap. it's good frt but it aint worth it to haul it.

I agree, in the area I peddle ABF didn't go after that business either. It looks to me as if R&L, Old Dominion, Estees & Pitt Ohio got most of Jevic's LTL freight.

I find it hard to believe that We (Holland) are not making 2nd day delv. on this frt. Is this the frt. that we get in (BU.) New York? And we do and have been giving NPME frt. for quite a while now.

But what the hell we will take the blame, some one has to I guess!!!!

I find it hard to believe that We (Holland) are not making 2nd day delv. on this frt. Is this the frt. that we get in (BU.) New York? And we do and have been giving NPME frt. for quite a while now.

But what the hell we will take the blame, some one has to I guess!!!!
We got a lot of Pa freight from Alvin-you guys deliver it yourselves, 2nd dayfreight and claims in general just isnt up to npme standards. SORRY

no, it's not the freight we do to holland in midwest and exchange in buffalo. it's what was started as ohio freight and than expanded to include michigan,deal we have had with alvan,area covered was pretty much what alvan covered except for canada area. they did 2nd day on all of it and we in return. now what freight is left in that deal, is what we give to holland to deliver- we get nothing any more in return-and with holland not makeing2nd deliver, we have been loseing even more. either way, it's a pretty big hit freight wise on daily bases.probabley effects road drivers more than city side of the bussiness.

listen up

I agree, in the area I peddle ABF didn't go after that business either. It looks to me as if R&L, Old Dominion, Estees & Pitt Ohio got most of Jevic's LTL freight.
Are youse guys New Penn Drivers? Well, if you are, we (and I am Yellow Trans (Driver of course) are in the same division of YRCW and this division is called YRCW National Transportation, well our president, Mr Smid...says we are going after the customer at this point and not the revenue part of it...He says if we get the customers respect the revenue will come later..we must have a bank backing us somewhere...did you know DHL has their own bank...(I'm just saying) and what I said about Mr. Smid comments is true too. :1036316054::smilie_132:

my bad

Here we go with the DHL b.S. again!
Sorry to ruffle any feathers friend. I was using dhl as example and I'll admit I kind of fell into my own trap (of only semi informing myself about certain facts). If you go to yellow's forum and look up "YRCW getting backing", RoadHombre has documention on where the backing is coming from...I was right about the backing,,,wrong about dhl...still correct about Mr.Smid though. Again sorry.:hide:

its too bad it happened , penn was a solid co before that, there is a bir R barn here in eastern pa , 55 guys on lay off status how they are still in biz is beyond me

think the closeing of alvan hasn't hurt us freight wise? we used to ship 4-6 loads a day to alvan, and get at least that many loads in return from them. now we have been giveing freight to holland to deliver. one,we get nothing back from them, and two,they haven't been makeing 2nd day deliver on freight we send them, and were lucky to send out 6-7 loads a week now.we keep loseing this freight cause holland can't make 2nd day deliver for us.hope the powers that be at NPME can find a carrier that wants our bussiness and can make deliver times before we lose all that freight.it sucks to be layed off,just like it sucks #03 has had 8-13 road drivers sitting at home on nightly bases. i know nobody wants to here or belive this,but with rdwy and yellow pushing there ue guy, and overnight deal, along with cutting rates to get this freight. no matter what your job is, it's time to jack-it up a noch or two,or there will be alot more guys lay-ed off or sitting at home before this economey gets back on track.

maybe holland is giving this freight to someone else????? land air

Yep, Blame your misfortune on Holland.

The blame lays on the fact that New Penn sold to YRC. You guys are in the same boat with Holland, you both are sinking and will soon be a memory. Sad, but I do not see Yellow and Roadway going under while your 2 divisions are not making money either.

Sad thing is that New Penn & Holland were 2 Great companies before YRC took the controls.

never sold to yellow

New Penn never sold to yellow, they were bought by Roadway. Too bad Roadway sold out to Yellow, New Penn just the bad end of that deal.:hide: