ABF | layoffs and benifits

driver4a1

TB Lurker
Credits
i was wondering if abf is doing the yearly layoff. for several years. like roadway i heard has done for 6 years in a row.

also a coworker quit abf and came to work with us, he said he was working 50 hours a week for 4 years but couldnt get benifits because they said they didnt have a permanit position to put him in.

was wondering because wanted to switch but was worried about no benefits for so long, mostly losing years towards retirement also

thanks for any comments

Depending on where you are, ABF does DAILY layoffs based on freight volumes. They watch the bottom line really closely. When it's slow, I may only work a few days out of the week, or month.

Don't know how Central States handles benefits, but for Northern New England, if new Members have at least 200 hrs in 6 mo., you are eligible for benefits. After that, you have at least 400 hrs in a quarter, to not have to pay-in any part of your H&W contributions for medical coverage. 450 hrs/quarter gets you lower copays with no pay-in.

Pension contributions are credits for up to 40hrs/wk. Check the NMFA for the rate. But no work, no credit, obviously, but he should get credits for the time worked, regardless of being casual or regular?

At least your coworker still has a job, unlike 1/2 the YRC mgt? Heard they just merged the Yellow & Roadway a week or so ago. Suppose they could try Fedex, I hear they're booming...

i was wondering if abf is doing the yearly layoff. for several years. like roadway i heard has done for 6 years in a row.

also a coworker quit abf and came to work with us, he said he was working 50 hours a week for 4 years but couldnt get benifits because they said they didnt have a permanit position to put him in.

was wondering because wanted to switch but was worried about no benefits for so long, mostly losing years towards retirement also

thanks for any comments

i am a abf employee. 20 guys were laid off with lay off papers. they gave a slip to them to sign if able or unable to work . they said you have to pick 1 or the other.without union present. then after they collected unemployment they were denied and some had to pay back all money. because they used that paper they signed against them.I was 1 of them. laid off or not which is it?

I remember when I was put on layoff in Miami they did the same thing. If I remember the letter right, it stated roughly if you wanted to work when work was available or if you wanted to wait for fulltime work. Probably they did this so you could not collect unemployment. Most likely if you signed that you were going to wait they can use that meaning you are refusing work when it becoms available, no matter how little bit it is.

I remember when I was put on layoff in Miami they did the same thing. If I remember the letter right, it stated roughly if you wanted to work when work was available or if you wanted to wait for fulltime work. Probably they did this so you could not collect unemployment. Most likely if you signed that you were going to wait they can use that meaning you are refusing work when it becoms available, no matter how little bit it is.

if you signed to work u put yourself at risk of losing your job. then u make yourself available to be put at 4 other terminals beside the 1 you have a bid at.then u have to be there with 2hr notice when u live 2hrs away .with no excuses being late.also when on call you cant look for another job. you got to be by the phone.who knows how long youll be laid off ,a month, a year,maybe forever.that is called unsuitable work.

if you signed to work u put yourself at risk of losing your job. then u make yourself available to be put at 4 other terminals beside the 1 you have a bid at.then u have to be there with 2hr notice when u live 2hrs away .with no excuses being late.also when on call you cant look for another job. you got to be by the phone.who knows how long youll be laid off ,a month, a year,maybe forever.that is called unsuitable work.

last year there was no such letter which giving to the employee to sign. they just got a layoff slip. new way of doin business.i can live with it just want to show the world whats going on.and feel sorry for the guys that have to pay unemployment back.