Estes | layoffs in the east

:boat: everybody remain calm,at least you still got a good paying job!
:butt kiss:

You aren't serious are you? Have you read this thread! A guy got terminated while on Workers Comp. What kind of good paying job does he still have? HUH? HUH? HUH?

WOW what a moronic statement!!!!

:chairshot::chairshot:

If it's the T.Poole I'm thinking about he used to be the tm in Greensboro and Pulaski. He's was a good tm but with that last statement I believe that he has sniffed too much fuel.

You forget we are all "at will" employees unless we work in state that has laws for workers being fired of which i think CA has some laws but most do not. An "at will" employee can get fired for any reason or no reason. As far as that poor guy on comp. he has no recourse with the labor board I tried that once with another company and the first question I was asked is "what union do you belong to" when I said none they told me they could not help me the labor board only deals with companies that have collective agreements.

You forget we are all "at will" employees unless we work in state that has laws for workers being fired of which i think CA has some laws but most do not. An "at will" employee can get fired for any reason or no reason. As far as that poor guy on comp. he has no recourse with the labor board I tried that once with another company and the first question I was asked is "what union do you belong to" when I said none they told me they could not help me the labor board only deals with companies that have collective agreements.

Here you go anti-union kool-aid drinkers. Another reason to switch your beverage of choice. I can't help you any more. But for gods' sake, help yourself.

I would be all for getting a union (Teamsters) in here at E. But would others and would there be enough. Any help you may offer would be appreciated. We have absolutley no seniority at all only the buddy system and if you make waves then you are s==t for awhile. I have talked to others about the Teamsters and get the cold shoulder because of fear.

I would be all for getting a union (Teamsters) in here at E. But would others and would there be enough. Any help you may offer would be appreciated. We have absolutley no seniority at all only the buddy system and if you make waves then you are s==t for awhile. I have talked to others about the Teamsters and get the cold shoulder because of fear.

I do not buy this one bit. I have contact with alot of people at this company and I would say the majority is for the U. My terminal would vote it in once another terminal did seeing how we are right to work state. I would be one of the few very few to vote no to the U. Call me a :butt kiss: all you want.

Ok I'll call you a :butt kiss: We need the union in here. It's time that we stand together and let Richmond know that we are tired of getting screwed and taken advantage of. We give them 1 to 2 hours of free time every day and that is if you are lucky to get your bills on time. Sign me up.

Hey BD thanks for the comment I sincerely believe the union (Teamsters) would be in our best interest. If JD is anti then so be it we don't need him if the majority want a union then he would be out voted. Problem is how do we go about it? Like JD said most places including mine do not want to be the first and are reluctant to voice their opinion. I think secrectly they would do it but the question is who will be number one and stick their neck out. I have been paying attention to the "Employee Free Choice Act" that was passed by the "House" but not the Senate and Bush said he would veto the bill if it got to him. This bill would make it much easier to organize with a union and not expose anyone. Any how not sure whether we should wait to see if that happens or go for it now. I know I am ready.

when we tried in baltimore back in 2000 we just contacted the union to obtain cards, talked to our fellow emploees and got the required signitures for a vote. but you are right there will be people who will have to stick their neck out. the question you have to ask is it worth it. i believed it was and was the one who led the charge. just be ready for a boatload of anti-union meetings and intimidation. the vote in 2000 went the companies way and i'm no longer with the big e, and things were tough the first year i left but i have no regrets and would do it again if i could. just remember one thing, has long has you have a cdl a clean record and can pass a drug screen you will always have a job. trucking jobs are a dime a dozen and estes isn't the only game in town.

Hey BD thanks for the comment I sincerely believe the union (Teamsters) would be in our best interest. If JD is anti then so be it we don't need him if the majority want a union then he would be out voted. Problem is how do we go about it? Like JD said most places including mine do not want to be the first and are reluctant to voice their opinion. I think secrectly they would do it but the question is who will be number one and stick their neck out. I have been paying attention to the "Employee Free Choice Act" that was passed by the "House" but not the Senate and Bush said he would veto the bill if it got to him. This bill would make it much easier to organize with a union and not expose anyone. Any how not sure whether we should wait to see if that happens or go for it now. I know I am ready.

First and foremost, you must be dead serious about your desire for third party representation. Period. No threats to get a few issues temporarily resolved. It doesn't work. They will get guys talking, and find out what the biggest complaints are. Then they will sit in a room with a big calculator, with a couple bean counters, and figure out the cheapest way to apease the majority. You need a widespread movement to make it a viable endeavor. A half dozen break bulks all on the same page. With about a dozen leaders who are willing to put their lives on hold for a while. And are able to educate themselves of the laws pertaining to labor movements. And have knowledge of tactics used by companies to squash the effort. And they must be willing to reasure the doubting thomas' on a daily basis. And have leadership qualities that remind them as to why this is in their best intrests. Make no bones about it, if you take this as seriously as we did in the west, and it progresses all the way to a vote, it becomes a war. Educate yourself. Google national labor relations board or labor relations act. You must believe in your decision with all your heart. You must be willing to lose your job if it all falls apart. I sound like a true union groupie don't I? Never was untill Estes became part of my life. You just don't know how good it feels to puff out your chest and stand up to corporate greed unless you have been there. To look these red necks in the eye and tell them they have made a serious mistake and the west will not go down without a fight was truly rewarding. But they are still non union and I am no longer there. So I guess they won the fight. For now!!!!!!!!! Elvis out....

Alright, screw it, let's see if we can heat things up here in the nor'east like you did in the west. Thanks for the info.

when we tried in baltimore back in 2000 we just contacted the union to obtain cards, talked to our fellow emploees and got the required signitures for a vote. but you are right there will be people who will have to stick their neck out. the question you have to ask is it worth it. i believed it was and was the one who led the charge. just be ready for a boatload of anti-union meetings and intimidation. the vote in 2000 went the companies way and i'm no longer with the big e, and things were tough the first year i left but i have no regrets and would do it again if i could. just remember one thing, has long has you have a cdl a clean record and can pass a drug screen you will always have a job. trucking jobs are a dime a dozen and estes isn't the only game in town.

Nightowl I haven't talked to you in a while, I hope things are going good for you. I remember when you tried to get it going in Baltimore and they went and turned the trucks up to 68 miles an hour and gave a 2cent raise and that pretty much ended the movement. I'm tired of getting the shaft around here 12 years is enough. The line haul drivers don't get any thing but mileage pay so if we're not ready to go at night we just sit around collecting dust. When the other employees come to work they are on the clock but I was told that we get well compensated for our time so we should not complain but if you are constantly giving them 1 to 2 hours a day for free that doesn't add up in my book. Anyway ya'll have a nice day and hopefully things will change in the near future.

Layoffs? Naw just job reductions and a bunch of whiners!

I really dont think it is fair about alot of alot of things here at estes express lines, but thats what we get for not being part a union! I also think that the guys that lost their runs also need to stop whining and just do there job! I am an extra board driver and have been for 4 years and I havent been able to get a run because teams keep splitting up and taking single driver runs, now is that fair? How can a team split and take a solo run, but two solo drivers cant pair up to make a team run?? GO FIGURE! Alot of these drivers that have lost there runs have maybe 6 months on the board if that, now is it fair that you take a guy that has been on the board away from his/her family(I also have two kids myself) to keep these other drivers happy? I also know that when you take a run that you also agree that if that run was to cancel at any time, you take what is open without loosing your seniority! It is also not fair that 3 flex drivers got bid runs, but never spent one day on the board, how fair is that? All I can say, Welcome weekend warrior, welcome!!

I really dont think it is fair about alot of alot of things here at estes express lines, but thats what we get for not being part a union! I also think that the guys that lost their runs also need to stop whining and just do there job! I am an extra board driver and have been for 4 years and I havent been able to get a run because teams keep splitting up and taking single driver runs, now is that fair? How can a team split and take a solo run, but two solo drivers cant pair up to make a team run?? GO FIGURE! Alot of these drivers that have lost there runs have maybe 6 months on the board if that, now is it fair that you take a guy that has been on the board away from his/her family(I also have two kids myself) to keep these other drivers happy? I also know that when you take a run that you also agree that if that run was to cancel at any time, you take what is open without loosing your seniority! It is also not fair that 3 flex drivers got bid runs, but never spent one day on the board, how fair is that? All I can say, Welcome weekend warrior, welcome!!

These stories keep flowing like lava down a volcano. You really just have three choices to correct your issues. And only three. Quit. Suck it up and like it. Or seek outside representation. I don't have a clue which is the best choice. But those are your options.