Layoffs

Discussion in 'Saia' started by dirk61, Jul 22, 2007.

1. dancing chicken

dancing chicken Member

when it comes to lay offs you are right...But if you have to much time in and there are guys below you they just fire the person... I know 3 guys it happen to last week!!

2. dancing chicken

dancing chicken Member

there has been layoffs and terminations!!

3. jakethebrake

jakethebrake Member

What memo??? And when was it released? I have seen no memo at my terminal.

4. hasbeenking

hasbeenking Member

Most TM's don't post everything.Memo was sent last Thursday.

5. nervouswreck

nervouswreck Member

No, this is not fact. AUG let go a 10 yr man based on performance, past and present.

6. dancing chicken

dancing chicken Member

i guess stinkyfingers was right

7. dancing chicken

dancing chicken Member

also sounds right

8. jakethebrake

jakethebrake Member

Well, been in linehaul 3 yrs. at my terminal, and I am low man in linehaul. Guess we'll see what happens:hide: :hide: :hide:

9. hippo

hippo Member

shoot hooland in charlotte layed off 10 linehaul what makes you think because the union they dont lay off. their the first ones and the more often ones that do it in the trucking industry

10. jakethebrake

jakethebrake Member

Ain't that the truth. Just go to the Yellow forum, they've been talking about it for weeks.

11. imported_Traveler

imported_Traveler Member

Ya it's bad right now there just doesn't seem to be any christmas freight to speak of. Usually at this time we are all charging pretty hard and it just isn't happening. Like I've said on the other forums I have 6+ years senority and 50 guys below me and I am only getting one maybe two trips a week. Now that is slow. And it's system wide here at Yellow. There are other LTL co. laying off too. CCX, FEDeX, and Estes are all laying people off. Maybe not onthe scale as some of the others but all the LTL co's are feeling the crunch.

12. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Estes and CCX here are hiring. So is R+L. FedEx just cut jobs at FedEx National. Seen that one coming.

13. imported_mothertrucker

imported_mothertrucker Member

i thought you guys were doing sooo well after you split from JEVIC? noe you are talking about layoff's? Jevis has been hiring and opened up another new terminal! WOW its a good thing that they don't drag you guys down anymore!

14. Brother Trucker

Brother Trucker Member

I for one am pleased that Jevic is prospering.

It was simple fact that the two carriers were way too apart in operating models and the previous executive attemps to mesh the two were doomed from the beginning.

As for the current troubles, it is merely reflective of the current economy and the market segment which we serve.

One also might remember that when we were doing so well that Jevic was having to rebuild itself.

15. dancing chicken

dancing chicken Member

Well we are hiring also in dls and grl!! Just because you hire in some spots and layoff in others doesn't mean a thing!! If you come to work and the lights are off and the gates are locked then things are looking bad!!!

16. sheet climber

sheet climber Member

estes laid off 30 in charlotte 10 city, 10 dock, 10 line haul.... saia is making staffing adjustments, operating leaner.... mother trucker. we have 20 plus loads left mon thru friday and up to 60 plus on weekends, so i dont think we are hurting too bad. two short line haul and three short city.

17. Collard Green

Collard Green Member

Tell me it's not true, comes from a reliable source in GBO that Saia has so much freight it can't haul it, so someone has either got their facts wrong or someone has been lied to.

18. othertrucker2001

othertrucker2001 Professional Flummoxer

GNC is giving freight to another agent just to get it delivered. They fired one city driver for the "workforce reduction" and now we don't have enough drivers to get the freight delivered. We didn't have enough driver B4 the "reduction". They said the "numbers" did not look good so they fired a driver. Go figure.

19. imported_suicidejockey

imported_suicidejockey Member

sounds kinda like the way service transport was right before they went under!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. sheet climber

sheet climber Member

clt has truckload carriers hauling excess loads we cant cover,probably 15 a day.