Holland | Layoffs

jarhead13

TB Lurker
Credits
07-11-08
51 Road Drivers in the system. 6 more in Indy for a total of 28. So much for new business. Is this what they meant when they said the UE would not affect us?

2 of those 51 drivers were out of Ft. Wayne, for a total 21 Road Drivers. We haven't even made it to the winter layoffs yet. I was thinking oh well maybe spring 2009 I'll get my call back. Now I'm thinking maybe spring 2010. If I'm lucky.

Instead of the loads sitting the frieght is being spoon fed to the utility drivers. Example: In the past the south frt from minneapolis went to Indy on first leg then on to ATL , or other southern points. Now that frt goes from Minneapolis to Owatonna Mn. , Owatonna to Rock Island Il. and then to Nashville TN. where there are a couple of dozen utility drivers to help move ltl that linehaul dosen't cover.And to make the double operations look good into youngstown frt from milwaukee heading south is sent to South Bend , then to youngstown before going south to Columbia SC. Go figure with fuel over $4.00 a gallon sending frt that far out of the way to utilize the doubles ???

yellow and roadway starting to hire in some areas and Holland still laying off,I'm scared:hide::hide:

Apparently this is what Hoffa was talking about when he said this contract would add new jobs. Trading one Teamster job for another. Why is the IBT allowing the non-Union companies to set the standards for our industry? When is the last time a freight company was organized and put into our pension fund? Now Hoffa is more concerned with Obama than his members in need. I guess all of us Teamsters that are on layoff do not matter. Hoffa and the rest of his cronies can :butt kiss:. I hope everyone will listen now and get rid of those sellouts.

what is going on?

I have confirmation, (albeit from other forums) that we are organizing Glen More and YRCW. Do you guys have anything to the contrary? I feel that someone/something is trying to pit us all against eachother. You guys are claiming layoffs...At Yellow, we're working our arses off...Are we getting your customers or something? Something smells like sh...

I have confirmation, (albeit from other forums) that we are organizing Glen More and YRCW. Do you guys have anything to the contrary? I feel that someone/something is trying to pit us all against eachother. You guys are claiming layoffs...At Yellow, we're working our arses off...Are we getting your customers or something? Something smells like sh...

Some of it is because we have more logistics trailers now and some of it is because of the UE position is a city job.

Most of the people that are being laid off and called back from week to week in the city, are people that don't have very much seniority with the company. I feel that YRC Holland is trying to get these people to quit and make room for the 4 hour casuals, they are just messing with them hoping that they will quit. It costs YRC Holland in the short term with loosing customers but in the long run they can price their rates down to get them back and have a lower cost as far as getting the work done. Remember these 4-hour people won't have the same job protection that we full-time people do. They'll be able to tell them to do something and like it or else we won't use you any more.

In the past at USF Holland, in the city, we just blew the freight from the city pick-up trailer in to the outbound trailer without stacking the freight. The largest percentage of trailers went down the highway with almost everything on the floor so that we could get it to the customer early the next day damage free. The city drivers could pick-up freight early and get it back to the terminal for the Line drivers and do it all over again the next day. Holland made serious money and their customers loved the way we did it.

Now, at YRC Holland, we need less Line drivers now than before YRCW because we are made to load trailers high and tight. We load freight on top of other freight or use logistics bars to stack it up. I'm just guessing but before YRCW the average trailer weight was around 15000-18000 pounds. After YRCW its around 28000-32000, I think. If you do the math more weight on a trailer equals less trailers needed to move the same weight. Less trailer loads equals less Line drivers needed. Plus, the way they are being allowed to use the UE position to move core freight there are less loads for Line drivers to move each week. We loose customers along the way because the main things that made us different was that we delivered and picked-up freight early and delivered it damage free. Less people getting the freight out and back makes us slower than others, plus loading the freight high and tight with many more damages are all so hurting us. Thats the way YRCW wants it done so thats the way we do it.

Hi Benny

Some of it is because we have more logistics trailers now and some of it is because of the UE position is a city job.

Most of the people that are being laid off and called back from week to week in the city, are people that don't have very much seniority with the company. I feel that YRC Holland is trying to get these people to quit and make room for the 4 hour casuals, they are just messing with them hoping that they will quit. It costs YRC Holland in the short term with loosing customers but in the long run they can price their rates down to get them back and have a lower cost as far as getting the work done. Remember these 4-hour people won't have the same job protection that we full-time people do. They'll be able to tell them to do something and like it or else we won't use you any more.

In the past at USF Holland, in the city, we just blew the freight from the city pick-up trailer in to the outbound trailer without stacking the freight. The largest percentage of trailers went down the highway with almost everything on the floor so that we could get it to the customer early the next day damage free. The city drivers could pick-up freight early and get it back to the terminal for the Line drivers and do it all over again the next day. Holland made serious money and their customers loved the way we did it.

Now, at YRC Holland, we need less Line drivers now than before YRCW because we are made to load trailers high and tight. We load freight on top of other freight or use logistics bars to stack it up. I'm just guessing but before YRCW the average trailer weight was around 15000-18000 pounds. After YRCW its around 28000-32000, I think. If you do the math more weight on a trailer equals less trailers needed to move the same weight. Less trailer loads equals less Line drivers needed. Plus, the way they are being allowed to use the UE position to move core freight there are less loads for Line drivers to move each week. We loose customers along the way because the main things that made us different was that we delivered and picked-up freight early and delivered it damage free. Less people getting the freight out and back makes us slower than others, plus loading the freight high and tight with many more damages are all so hurting us. Thats the way YRCW wants it done so thats the way we do it.
Now, before anything else, God, Family (I can put family ahead of God but I think that would not be good, but I do it anyway only in my selfish way, not the biblical way...) ,Teamsters, subsidiaries), Holland, subsidiaries), Roadway, subsidiaries) Yellow, subsidiaries)...subsidiaries please listen... YRCW is (please believe me) playing the shell game. (1) please hear me out (2) dump me if you think I'm full of sh... (3) let's have an honest dialog if you think I'm being straight up... And I am being straight up...OK here it is... Especially Holland...You will not be spun off, I already suggested this to YRCW. Search my threads if you think I'm full of sh... I suggested you be spun off as opposed to being killed off. Corporate does not want you to be killed or especially spun off. Either situation just creates more competition. That being said,... for YRCW... "control" is the key. This is as far as I can go with Holland. Because the rest does not make sense to me. Holland knew/knows how to deliver fast, damage free shipments so the rest has to do with either management or some employee problem and I don't see either one being the problem...This leads me back to the "playing us against eachother comment

Corporate...If you can explain why Holland is having layoffs and Yellow is ball...z to the wall...z all of us may be able to calm down a bit . What gives Corporate?

high and tight was always the usf red star way

Might I suggest the reason "National" is on the upswing and "Regional" is downward is a priceing thing. National was showing better on th O/R, therefore we can offer higher discounts right now. I'm just a dumb truck driver trying to make some sense of it all, I sure don't know anything. :shrug: