R&L | Layoff's

BH has been running our terminal since TM went out for surgery 7 weeks ago. He told us our bill count was up 15% higher than at this time last year. At this time no drivers or dock workers are getting laid off. If anyone is worried about their job I suggest you put the one more shipment program back into play. Begging for freight and making calls to WIL for quotes while you are at a customer is nothing to be ashamed of. Now more than ever we need to get freight on the trucks and stay busy. You know what is next if we don't!!!!!! In PHI we are obliviously doing our part,just need every terminal to be productive in order to escape future cuts. Do whatever it takes,stealing freight from other companies is OK,they do it to us too!!!! Call WIL and get quotes for other carriers freight only takes a few minutes of your time and if your terminal is slow you definitely have the time for a phone call!!!!!

layoffs

Listen,last year I was very proactive on finding freight for rl carriers,won them several new contracts,busted my butt,didn't stop to take 2 hr lunch breaks like some of the sacks o' crapp that still have a job now.So,you can do what you want,but at our terminal,it was all about seniority,performance didn't matter at all.I had proof both times that I was layed off that I was a much better investment for the company,didn't affect the price of tea in CHINA!!!!! So that kinda talk that PHI drivers are the only ones pulling weight,is bs. I can tell you,we pulled plenty of your freight thru JAX.

We were told about the 9.5 hr cap per day too.
The last couple months or so, they have really been hammering having 2 bills per hour too. I guessing those who don't have good numbers, might have to worry, even though the numbers don't take into account the situation that driver is in everyday.

At my yard this morning, I was told our bill count is good and none of us have to worry. I hope thats right.

I hate to see anyone anywhere lose their job.

Yea lay offs suck they let go of 5 P&D drivers here in San Antonio, and it appears that it was based on seniority.

Listen,last year I was very proactive on finding freight for rl carriers,won them several new contracts,busted my butt,didn't stop to take 2 hr lunch breaks like some of the sacks o' crapp that still have a job now.So,you can do what you want,but at our terminal,it was all about seniority,performance didn't matter at all.I had proof both times that I was layed off that I was a much better investment for the company,didn't affect the price of tea in CHINA!!!!! So that kinda talk that PHI drivers are the only ones pulling weight,is bs. I can tell you,we pulled plenty of your freight thru JAX.
In the event of a lay off, seniority always matters. The numbers thing never worked for me. They should and are only used for guidelines. You have drivers who deliver & pick up freight only and you have drivers who go beyond and grow a relationship with a customer and hunt for more freight anywhere they can find it. Neither driver is better than the other, everyone is different. Whatever works for you. But keep in mind.........last hired, first fired. That's what matters.

I heard Seattle is gonna hire 2-3 more drivers. Maybe someone could transfer, who is getting laid off. I'm not sure how that works, or once you get a notice, it way be to late.

I also know Spokane is supposed to open sometime. I thought I heard they already have the property and I think a building too, but not sure. I don't know when or if thats still on track, with the whole economic slow down thing.

Have had a half dozen or so drivers laid off in the Big D, all of 'em were new guys with less than a year. Seniority seems to be the deciding factor, as it should be.

On the plus side, since we've slowed down some, my set is loaded and ready early most days! I kinda like getting home in the evening before the wife does..........

They did NOT go by senority at my terminal. Heard that they have some drivers actually keeping track of every minute that they are out on a route. I think those guys might be in trouble. Also heard that at another terminal they laid off a guy that was always a pain in the azz even though he had more senority then alot of guys. I guess we just wait and see, and go to work until they say not to. Hopefully it gets better. But man slow season is on the horizon.

I heard, I heard ,i heard, does anyone really think they know what going to happen? No one is going to tell you squat till it happens, guys need to be fired for starting I heard rumors. getting tired of it. just my opinion

guys need to be fired for starting I heard rumors. getting tired of it
Boy if they did that the road would be a lonely place!...:biglaugh:
But hey at least you'd have your choice of parking everywhere you stopped!

Lost two combo drivers, one p&d, one 1st dock, one 3rd dock, & one 2nd Cust. serv.. Now we have 12 p&d pushing 250+ bills a day and told we will be written up based on returns. Worst part is today, our dispatcher literally had a stroke sitting at his desk. Spongebob told our tm that if he doesn't call in sick in the am, fire him. Real caring people we work for. Cover your butts!!!

Flip at Holland we try to get 11 bills per trl for our city peddles. You guys are over 20 per trl. Must be a small area of coverage. Just wondering. GRIZZ

Lost two combo drivers, one p&d, one 1st dock, one 3rd dock, & one 2nd Cust. serv.. Now we have 12 p&d pushing 250+ bills a day and told we will be written up based on returns. Worst part is today, our dispatcher literally had a stroke sitting at his desk. Spongebob told our tm that if he doesn't call in sick in the am, fire him. Real caring people we work for. Cover your butts!!!

That sounds about right for sponge bob.He is the biggest POS I know.

Grizz, We are in central NY and cover from PA to Canada. Aside from a few "city" peddles, most runs average 170 - 210 miles daily. One of our "north" runs averages 420 miles a day with 14 - 16 deliveries plus pick ups. My run is usually hits 250 miles daily. So I don't think that constitutes a "small" area. Just throwing it out there.

Flip at Holland we try to get 11 bills per trl for our city peddles. You guys are over 20 per trl. Must be a small area of coverage. Just wondering. GRIZZ
I've heard 10-12 del per driver but there are exceptions. Smaller hubs with lots of inbound and very little o/b get the shaft.

I told dispatch today that one of my customers had more freight than I had room on my trailer. His Response to me was oh well, tell them we will see them tomorrow. He then decided to send someone to make the pick up. I realize we are all under a lot of pressure but if we don't take care of our customers, someone else will.