SAIA | Layoffs!!

So one of the linehaul guys who got the ax was fired because he would have to park it at the hub (instead of making it all the way back to his home terminal which would be ~100 more miles) and go to the hotel on several occasions. Not because he was running over hours. Not because he would "log off" vnomics and finish his run. Not because he was "taking naps" or stopping the truck for any other reason while he was dispatched.. He was getting delayed because he was waiting on freight almost every night which put him over his 14 and he wouldn't lie/cheat his vnomics to make it home. He was fired because he did what is inconvenient but legal and "by the book". That's foul. The strange thing is that there are other guys at his terminal that get an hour or two of sleep while they're dispatched every night and they're scott-free. I know this because I filled in on these runs while I was a system driver and I was beating some of these guys arrival times by hours over the course of their week long vacation. I guess cronyism pays..

I'm not saying it's like that company wide, but it is disheartening to see this going on so close to home. However, I personally find this mass termination deal unsettling. Certainly this is a highly coordinated company effort that took a significant amount of time to plan and execute and they sure as hell didn't inform anybody below management that this was coming. So much for that whole open door policy thing. Not to mention that if I fall out of favor for management for any reason anybody, including myself, could be on the chopping block too. I could see if they terminate an employee by going through the policy that is in the employee manual ie verbal warning, written warning, suspension, termination.. but is seems they are circumventing this at will.

So one of the linehaul guys who got the ax was fired because he would have to park it at the hub (instead of making it all the way back to his home terminal which would be ~100 more miles) and go to the hotel on several occasions. Not because he was running over hours. Not because he would "log off" vnomics and finish his run. Not because he was "taking naps" or stopping the truck for any other reason while he was dispatched.. He was getting delayed because he was waiting on freight almost every night which put him over his 14 and he wouldn't lie/cheat his vnomics to make it home.
If what you say has happened there are already precedent cases both with a Roadway driver and I believe that R&L recently lost a case (a year or so ago) and they had to pay the driver a large sum of money.

I typed out a big long response to all this, but in the end it really makes no difference so all I'm going to say is morale is everything, and right now the company is not helping itself in that department.

In my opinion, If they wanted to get rid of "bad apples" they should have gone through the proper channels of discipline, instead of just choosing people at will that they didn't like. My opinion of this company has changed very much in the last 48 hours, and that really sucks.

I agree if it's slow then obviously we need to reduce workforce if it's warranted. But what I don't agree with is the fact that they just lay off whoever they feel like and seniority means nothing. Why have a seniority list if it doesn't mean a damn thing?? Hell even the A-holes at Con-Way would go by seniority when it was time to lay people off.

Great way to throw morale down the crapper, IMO. Sure hasn't inspired a lot of confidence in the drivers around here, including myself.
That's the SAIA "Family culture"

I typed out a big long response to all this, but in the end it really makes no difference so all I'm going to say is morale is everything, and right now the company is not helping itself in that department.

In my opinion, If they wanted to get rid of "bad apples" they should have gone through the proper channels of discipline, instead of just choosing people at will that they didn't like. My opinion of this company has changed very much in the last 48 hours, and that really sucks.
I too typed out a very long response but have decided not to post it for now. I will wait and see how this plays out before I come out guns ablaze.

I could see if they terminate an employee by going through the policy that is in the employee manual ie verbal warning, written warning, suspension, termination.. but is seems they are circumventing this at will.
Again, I'm not buying it. I will go into this in extreme detail as I gather my facts through private conversations. As many do, you jump to conclusions without having the facts.

Last edited:
There is an awful lot of "anecdotes" being posted, but it seems the actual people that were fired are silent. If there is someone out there who would like to post their "I was an excellent employee and Saia fired me for no reason" story, then let's hear it. Not second hand information, or "I know this guy" B.S. And if you have a problem with this companies management or how your treated, QUIT! Help trim even more fat so the employees who want to work can stay and you can go work for someone else.

I honestly don't know what to think anymore. I've only been driving for 15 years and the farther into it that I get, the more I wish I'd went in a different direction. I definitely don't trust my TM any farther than I could throw him, but I know all management isn't bad. Just gives you a cynical view of things I guess.

Maybe this is a nudge from up above to sit up and pay attention to other opportunities...

Maybe this is a nudge from up above to sit up and pay attention to other opportunities...
Always keep your options open. I have connections at other companies that i stay in touch with not only in ,but outside this industry. They know me and my work ethic . With that being said , i would never give this company or any for that matter a reason to fire me. They hired me to do a job and pay me well for it. They have treated me well for the past 2 decades. I have never seen any one fired for doing the job they were hired to do. Too many here have the " their not gonna fire me ,they need me" attitude,and think they can get away with anything. And that attitude will usually bite you in the rear !

He was getting delayed because he was waiting on freight almost every night which put him over his 14 and he wouldn't lie/cheat his vnomics to make it home. He was fired because he did what is inconvenient but legal and "by the book". That's foul.
More of that "Family " culture, SAIA cares join our "Family":poke:

If the driver that got laid off was in fact laid off for being legal, and the company didn't like it, company should tread carefully. Also, you guys should walk a mile in another persons shoes before saying you would be fine with getting laid off. If the Saia driver had a family, 3 kids, mortgage, and is 26 years old, they don't have the option of retiring. This will be a life changing event, and nothing says they won't lose their house because of it. Just sayin.

If the driver that got laid off was in fact laid off for being legal, and the company didn't like it, company should tread carefully. Also, you guys should walk a mile in another persons shoes before saying you would be fine with getting laid off. If the Saia driver had a family, 3 kids, mortgage, and is 26 years old, they don't have the option of retiring. This will be a life changing event, and nothing says they won't lose their house because of it. Just sayin.

They don't fire or layoff good employees period.