ABF | Layoffs

Are any terminals experiencing layoffs yet? If so how many?
None so far, however we are bidding this week and they have removed a couple spots off the percenter board. Also they just hired a new guy. Explain that one. It is definitely slower then before though.

None so far, however we are bidding this week and they have removed a couple spots off the percenter board. Also they just hired a new guy. Explain that one. It is definitely slower then before though.
One at 184. We had a guy get injured so they have to use the lay off guy.

We have a casual sitting at home,....where two months ago, he was under the impression that he would be on benefits by now. Yeah, we're real slow.....

We have a casual sitting at home,....where two months ago, he was under the impression that he would be on benefits by now. Yeah, we're real slow.....
That sucks and it happens all too often. It is a real gamble starting at this job and it doesn't pay like it used to. There was a time where one could make ends meet on three days a week while cutting back on spending and filling in with other stuff. I hope he didn't leave a full time job for it.

and the elders in central states will work right into their caskets.
Well,....That fixes the "driver shortage",.....doesn't it? Anyone else getting the idea that they're trying to financially manipulate guys on the verge of retirement into staying longer? I'm sure all those trucking company CEO's are crying themselves to sleep every time a guy with years of freight experience,and a clean CDL-A, w/ HAZ-MAT decides to retire.......

From the conference call:

"....Brad Delco, Stephens Inc. - Analyst [27]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay. Good. Encouraging. And then second, I guess because everyone seems to be fairly hyper focused on the direction of economic activity, can you maybe just talk about what flexibility or actions you've taken in this weaker demand environment? And then what maybe the contract may allow you to do if we were to see a more prolonged slowdown in economic activity versus what we saw in the prior cycle?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judy R. McReynolds, ArcBest Corporation - President and CEO [28]

Yes, Brad. We've taken some actions as of the end of October. And some of these occurred I guess in early September, but we've reduced our head count by about 150 people. About 100 of those were in September, and the other 50 were laid off in the second half of October.

But probably the bigger point here is that we do have the flexibility to adjust our head count as we see shipment levels change. The interesting thing that we've experienced, and I think you've heard others talk about it is we've continued to see shipments be up slightly, even though we're experiencing some of these tonnage declines.

And so this weight per shipment issue is a real issue, and really is more difficult to deal with because of the need to service those shipments. And so that's certainly something that we're focused on. But we have good information about where we are, and we have the flexibility in the contract to address that and to deal with that.

From the conference call:

"....Brad Delco, Stephens Inc. - Analyst [27]
Okay. Good. Encouraging. And then second, I guess because everyone seems to be fairly hyper focused on the direction of economic activity, can you maybe just talk about what flexibility or actions you've taken in this weaker demand environment? And then what maybe the contract may allow you to do if we were to see a more prolonged slowdown in economic activity versus what we saw in the prior cycle?

Judy R. McReynolds, ArcBest Corporation - President and CEO [28]

Yes, Brad. We've taken some actions as of the end of October. And some of these occurred I guess in early September, but we've reduced our head count by about 150 people. About 100 of those were in September, and the other 50 were laid off in the second half of October.

But probably the bigger point here is that we do have the flexibility to adjust our head count as we see shipment levels change. The interesting thing that we've experienced, and I think you've heard others talk about it is we've continued to see shipments be up slightly, even though we're experiencing some of these tonnage declines.

And so this weight per shipment issue is a real issue, and really is more difficult to deal with because of the need to service those shipments. And so that's certainly something that we're focused on. But we have good information about where we are, and we have the flexibility in the contract to address that and to deal with that.
They laid a guy off at my terminal & he still works a few days a week. They use the word "flexibility" well when you give a on call guy a letter of layoff you just lost your "flexibility"so when you call him he has no obligation to come in & your customers will not get serviced....

I received my letter of recall last week, Thursday to be exact. The 2 month hiatus has ended, like they say "All good things must come to an end". I'll let Ya know how long this will last.

Got my letter mid September... Got 2 full weeks after that, two 20 hour weeks, aa 35 hour week and then a 51 hour week last week. In the mean time, I applied at UPS package for the seasonal Feeder gig and started there this past Monday... Wait and see, like everything else... Who knows where the cards will fall...

Got my letter mid September... Got 2 full weeks after that, two 20 hour weeks, aa 35 hour week and then a 51 hour week last week. In the mean time, I applied at UPS package for the seasonal Feeder gig and started there this past Monday... Wait and see, like everything else... Who knows where the cards will fall...

You guys make sure you check your insurance. Used to be you had to work so many hours per week to be covered..some one help me out here. Just want brothers to be aware of that just in case your wife or kids need medical attention
every region or plan may have different stuff, but in Central, any work will pay into S plan, higher deductibles, no psychological therapy, etc, no chiropractic, no dental, vision.. 4 days work pays full C6.

184 has 1 on layoff but after his 54 hours last week he is being recalled.... This place is insane....

You guys make sure you check your insurance. Used to be you had to work so many hours per week to be covered..some one help me out here. Just want brothers to be aware of that just in case your wife or kids need medical attention
I think the minimum is 100 hours per month for Health & Welfare.

80 hours in JC 40, if you're not on the guarantee. If you are, you shouldn't be laid off, but guaranteed guys need 100 hours.