XPO | Layoffs

Lol. I gotta wait for the next president, to get 40 hours a week? It's Wednesday and I only have 14 hours for 3 days of work, as a DSR.
Are they purposely cutting our hours to push people into a new job?
Yes.
It's cheaper than letting you go.

You obviously don't know :::shit::: about Con-way. The stories are real. A lot of damn good guys gone. And they didn't leave trucking. They went to OD and Estes and FedEx or where ever and do a damn good job crapping on Con-way to every customer they meet.
Yes I heard of those stories when I work at American Freightways. Good drivers being let go because of a accident were there Trailer flipped and no investigation or care for who caused the accident all they cared about was the trailer fell over and that was company policy for many years

Lol. I gotta wait for the next president, to get 40 hours a week? It's Wednesday and I only have 14 hours for 3 days of work, as a DSR.
Are they purposely cutting our hours to push people into a new job?
If it's like my terminal you barley get 40 while the others are getting 60, but like I said before it's all about the numbers and the SC score the boss are scared about there job because the man does not care how long you been with the company. If your not need or don't to the job you will be on the outside looking in.

I talked to 2 Conway, sorry, XPO drivers at a pickup last night. I will not say where this was at or what terminal so don't ask... But they told me they laid off 6 drivers at their barn and gave them severance packages. 1 driver quit because of lack of work. The one driver said that he felt they weren't done yet. I find it a little questionable to do that now when we all know it is going to pick back up real soon. If the CEO of XPO really is going for the gusto and trying to save that $200 million that quickly, you can bet that it will come at the expense of you drivers. I'm not going to turn this into a union Vs nonunion debate, but I hope you guys that are in this for the long haul really think about what is at stake and what is really going on. The drivers that I talked to have been with Conway for some time so I tend to believe what they were saying and that their concerns are legitimate.

It's unfortunate when people get laid-off but you can't expect a company to keep people it doesn't need. They are probably going to change how things are done and will need less people in certain areas and more in others. I heard xkc was going to be hiring lots of drivers.

I talked to 2 Conway, sorry, XPO drivers at a pickup last night. I will not say where this was at or what terminal so don't ask... But they told me they laid off 6 drivers at their barn and gave them severance packages. 1 driver quit because of lack of work. The one driver said that he felt they weren't done yet. I find it a little questionable to do that now when we all know it is going to pick back up real soon. If the CEO of XPO really is going for the gusto and trying to save that $200 million that quickly, you can bet that it will come at the expense of you drivers. I'm not going to turn this into a union Vs nonunion debate, but I hope you guys that are in this for the long haul really think about what is at stake and what is really going on. The drivers that I talked to have been with Conway for some time so I tend to believe what they were saying and that their concerns are legitimate.
$200 million.

Brad Jacobs and crew have said this is attainable over and over again through logical changes - some of them cuts , others by NOT outsourcing , getting rid of duplication , etc... If you've been here any length of time at Con-way/XPO you know there are slower times of year for freight. Also , you can appreciate upper management that SO FAR seems confident and competent - the few things Jacobs has revealed to us , he's followed through with SO FAR.

This makes me want to be patient and see what's next.

$200 million.

Brad Jacobs and crew have said this is attainable over and over again through logical changes - some of them cuts , others by NOT outsourcing , getting rid of duplication , etc... If you've been here any length of time at Con-way/XPO you know there are slower times of year for freight. Also , you can appreciate upper management that SO FAR seems confident and competent - the few things Jacobs has revealed to us , he's followed through with SO FAR.

This makes me want to be patient and see what's next.

I don't work for Conway... My avatar says it all. Yes, I am very well aware of the slow times in freight, but we all know March is right around the corner and it is going to start to get busier. Now, with all of these guys laid off and business levels about to take off, is there enough drivers at these terminals to handle it? Are they going to be forced into 12 hour days because now all of a sudden there isn't enough help? Drivers that get laid off right now should be able to be hired elsewhere real quick since everyone will get busy again shortly. And we all know it takes almost 2 months from application to start date to hire someone anymore... I get that businesses have to do what they have to do but I have mixed vibes and opinions that I will keep to myself and just hope for the best for all of you guys.

I talked to 2 Conway, sorry, XPO drivers
Come on man. Is this really necessary? I know it happens in conversation all the time, even to us, but to actually type it just wasn't needed, even though the only thing XPO right now is our hats and jackets.

Slash the driving force again then roll out the new compensation package, then able to rehire under new format. The cutting of vac time will **** the senior drivers off, few will leave and will be replaced systematically.

Slash the driving force again then roll out the new compensation package, then able to rehire under new format. The cutting of vac time will **** the senior drivers off, few will leave and will be replaced systematically.
Do you think they will cut pay and slash vacation?

I don't work for Conway... My avatar says it all. Yes, I am very well aware of the slow times in freight, but we all know March is right around the corner and it is going to start to get busier. Now, with all of these guys laid off and business levels about to take off, is there enough drivers at these terminals to handle it? Are they going to be forced into 12 hour days because now all of a sudden there isn't enough help? Drivers that get laid off right now should be able to be hired elsewhere real quick since everyone will get busy again shortly. And we all know it takes almost 2 months from application to start date to hire someone anymore... I get that businesses have to do what they have to do but I have mixed vibes and opinions that I will keep to myself and just hope for the best for all of you guys.
Yep. And when they close those terminals they'll loose quite a few drivers due to travel distance to the new terminal. When the freight is consolidated that's gonna be a big mess no matter what they say. Unless hq purposely starts getting rid of accounts I'm thinking 12 hours a day in the future.

Yep. And when they close those terminals they'll loose quite a few drivers due to travel distance to the new terminal. When the freight is consolidated that's gonna be a big mess no matter what they say. Unless hq purposely starts getting rid of accounts I'm thinking 12 hours a day in the future.
Pretty sure, from the sound of it, LS1GTO is talking about the drivers from xsj. That is a class 1 terminal unless something has changed recently. Don't think there's a worry of that location closing. If they did, it's probably time for all of us to look for something else.

Pretty sure, from the sound of it, LS1GTO is talking about the drivers from xsj. That is a class 1 terminal unless something has changed recently. Don't think there's a worry of that location closing. If they did, it's probably time for all of us to look for something else.
I don't know what the terminal's alpha code is, only the city and state. Again, I don't want to disclose that for respect to the drivers I talked with. What I will disclose is that I sympathize with them and it does suck being laid off, as I have been a few times. Only difference is, even in layoff I am still working, I just don't have a bid. I might not work everyday, but I am getting something which is better than unemployment and no benefits. The guys that are getting laid off from XPO are getting severance packages, which in my mind, says they won't ever be coming back unless XPO calls them and wants to rehire them. This is all again what I heard from 2 particular drivers at one terminal. I just found it kind of odd given the fact that it will be picking up again before too long and why anyone would want to risk being short staffed is ridiculous, given this supposed driver shortage we are experiencing...

When they close 1 of the 8 terminals ( we have over 300 ) nearby they will loose 2 drivers out of 19. Two drivers.

I don't know what the terminal's alpha code is, only the city and state. Again, I don't want to disclose that for respect to the drivers I talked with. What I will disclose is that I sympathize with them and it does suck being laid off, as I have been a few times. Only difference is, even in layoff I am still working, I just don't have a bid. I might not work everyday, but I am getting something which is better than unemployment and no benefits. The guys that are getting laid off from XPO are getting severance packages, which in my mind, says they won't ever be coming back unless XPO calls them and wants to rehire them. This is all again what I heard from 2 particular drivers at one terminal. I just found it kind of odd given the fact that it will be picking up again before too long and why anyone would want to risk being short staffed is ridiculous, given this supposed driver shortage we are experiencing...
If you follow the moves of the new ownership/management you could conclude a few things:
1.) XPO had no respect for Con-way's upper management - they got rid of them immediately
2.) Maybe those of us that work here haven't been clear enough to people that don't work here - Yes Con-way has been managed wrong for a number of years. Unfortunately , that includes having too many people working in the wrong places , and too many people in jobs they have no business doing.

Those of us that have been here ( and understand change takes time ) are cautiously optimistic. It would be nice if things could happen overnight , but we have to wait.

If you follow the moves of the new ownership/management you could conclude a few things:
1.) XPO had no respect for Con-way's upper management - they got rid of them immediately
2.) Maybe those of us that work here haven't been clear enough to people that don't work here - Yes Con-way has been managed wrong for a number of years. Unfortunately , that includes having too many people working in the wrong places , and too many people in jobs they have no business doing.

Those of us that have been here ( and understand change takes time ) are cautiously optimistic. It would be nice if things could happen overnight , but we have to wait.
For #1... 99 times out of 100, the company that is doing the buying will retain its employees and can the employees of the company being bought. It doesn't matter if it is trucking, fast food, oil, you name the industry.... Whether Conway has been mismanaged or not is kind of irrelevant at this point... New sheriff in town usually means big changes all across the board. It really isn't a respect thing. XPO wanted a chance to get into LTL and they got it. Now the experiment for them begins.

For #2... As far as I am concerned, all of LTL is monkey see, monkey do. Rest assured that when one company gets a bone headed idea that will supposedly reinvent the wheel, it ends up being another way to manipulate the numbers game. Myself and probably many other ABF drivers could go on about our dislikes for certain things ABF does, that in our minds is mismanagement. Hell, every driver for every carrier can probably write a novel about what they feel is mismanagement. And I for one am not discrediting what you or any other XPO driver has to say about what they feel is mismanaged. One thing that is common to all of the corporate trucking companies... This new generation that is coming into the workforce doesn't know Jack about trucking. Everything is all about the magic number. Imagine that... Some 20 something sitting behind a desk at a computer trying to manage numbers not knowing what a pallet actually looks like or what a driver actually has to do during the course of their day.

I agree that nothing happens overnight. A cautiously optimistic approach is probably the best way to get a feel for what may lie ahead. I just hope the wait is worth it.

For #1... 99 times out of 100, the company that is doing the buying will retain its employees and can the employees of the company being bought. It doesn't matter if it is trucking, fast food, oil, you name the industry.... Whether Conway has been mismanaged or not is kind of irrelevant at this point... New sheriff in town usually means big changes all across the board. It really isn't a respect thing. XPO wanted a chance to get into LTL and they got it. Now the experiment for them begins.

For #2... As far as I am concerned, all of LTL is monkey see, monkey do. Rest assured that when one company gets a bone headed idea that will supposedly reinvent the wheel, it ends up being another way to manipulate the numbers game. Myself and probably many other ABF drivers could go on about our dislikes for certain things ABF does, that in our minds is mismanagement. Hell, every driver for every carrier can probably write a novel about what they feel is mismanagement. And I for one am not discrediting what you or any other XPO driver has to say about what they feel is mismanaged. One thing that is common to all of the corporate trucking companies... This new generation that is coming into the workforce doesn't know Jack about trucking. Everything is all about the magic number. Imagine that... Some 20 something sitting behind a desk at a computer trying to manage numbers not knowing what a pallet actually looks like or what a driver actually has to do during the course of their day.

I agree that nothing happens overnight. A cautiously optimistic approach is probably the best way to get a feel for what may lie ahead. I just hope the wait is worth it.
Thanks for coming in with logical discussion, and not throwing bombs. It's refreshing.