XPO | Layoffs

They have bent over backwards to keep drivers and keep them working. Although hours have been cut. Jobs have not.

And let me speculate as to why they are doing this. I think that they want to keep them working so that they won't loose them to a competitor, and so that they can have them on hand so that when freight begins to pick up after winter, when the sales team starts cross selling, and when economy freight kicks in a year or so down the road, they'll be fully staffed.

Yes the "economic termination" is from bottom up

Not always. I have heard of companies making everyone reapply for their job. Basically XPO would make ALL current employees fill out new apps and they interview and accept only the one they want to keep. The rest are just SOL.

Not always. I have heard of companies making everyone reapply for their job. Basically XPO would make ALL current employees fill out new apps and they interview and accept only the one they want to keep. The rest are just SOL.
Classic tactic. And with no Union contract to fall back on for security, those companies can pretty much do what they want.

They have bent over backwards to keep drivers and keep them working. Although hours have been cut. Jobs have not.

That's because they can't get drivers. 15yrs ago LTL companies (I mean all of them) never put out a sign that they were hiring. LTL companies always had drivers coming in and filling out apps so when the company was look to take on a few new driver they had lots of driver to pick from.

Why do you think the safety policy changed and the adding of more start times and changes in the pay scale for new hires.

I have heard of companies making everyone reapply for their job. Basically XPO would make ALL current employees fill out new apps and they interview and accept only the one they want to keep. The rest are just SOL.
I don't see that happening, though I could be wrong. It seems that that type of thing would make the employees feel like they were new to the operation and working for a completely different company, and usually a company's CEO only wants the employees to feel like they have new/better leadership, and that their seniority is respected and appreciated.
That would be a bad idea IMO. Plus, if they want to get rid of people for their accidents, injuries, or absenteeism, it's not hard to just show them their record......then show them the door.

i think they would be more concerned with getting rid of drivers who maxed out on wage and bennies than a driver who's inexpensive that shows up late once in awhile or bumped something. it's all about dollars and cents, not common sense.

One big accident or one big (un-excusable) injury by a driver that doesn't follow basic safety procedures will cost the company more money than a driver at top pay ever will. And when it comes to accidents and injuries, typically when those who have several small ones, it's only a matter of time until the big expensive one comes along. Usually, when there is smoke, the fire isn't far behind.

I don't see that happening, though I could be wrong. It seems that that type of thing would make the employees feel like they were new to the operation and working for a completely different company, and usually a company's CEO only wants the employees to feel like they have new/better leadership, and that their seniority is respected and appreciated.
That would be a bad idea IMO. Plus, if they want to get rid of people for their accidents, injuries, or absenteeism, it's not hard to just show them their record......then show them the door.

Amazon makes their employees reapply for their jobs every year. Says it keeps the workforce from becoming stale.

I've never heard of such a thing in the trucking industry. Does Amazon shake up the seniority list or something? What is gained by wasting the time?

I've never heard of such a thing in the trucking industry. Does Amazon shake up the seniority list or something? What is gained by wasting the time?
It's a not-so-subtle way to let the employees know that your job is a privilege. Also , instead of just having an employee evaluation every year it turns into a full blown job interview , with an opportunity to eliminate bad employees.

It does seem heavyhanded though.

True, not in trucking. Because if I am going to be filling out an application, it will be for holding another wheel. That kinda ::shit:: won't last long in this environment. We ain't $9 an hour pick and pack types.

They shake up everything. If you aren't good enough at this or that you can try to stay on as something else. Otherwise, the tribe has spoken and you are out.

They gain an employee with a sense of urgency that understands that they will be held directly accountable for their actions or lack there of.

Following a proper "paper trail" procedure and documenting the faults of an employee is sufficient, if you do it correctly. Been there done that. Bad employees are easy to eliminate with proper documentation......union or non-union. I don't see the need for the re-applying thing.

It's a not-so-subtle way to let the employees know that your job is a privilege. Also , instead of just having an employee evaluation every year it turns into a full blown job interview , with an opportunity to eliminate bad employees.

It does seem heavyhanded though.

There has been a few news stories on it. You can put a bunch of years in and then have a life event impact you. An accident, parent getting sick or maybe a new baby. And it might negatively alter your performance for long enough to put you out of work.

Following a proper "paper trail" procedure and documenting the faults of an employee is sufficient, if you do it correctly. Been there done that. Bad employees are easy to eliminate with proper documentation......union or non-union. I don't see the need for the re-applying thing.

It's just more of people trying to figure out what they are going to do with us. We all understand that this isn't warehouse work. But that these huge companies often treat everyone pretty well the same.

True, not in trucking. Because if I am going to be filling out an application, it will be for holding another wheel. That kinda :::shit::: won't last long in this environment. We ain't $9 an hour pick and pack types.

They shake up everything. If you aren't good enough at this or that you can try to stay on as something else. Otherwise, the tribe has spoken and you are out.

They gain an employee with a sense of urgency that understands that they will be held directly accountable for their actions or lack there of.
Forcing them to re-apply or just documenting the poor performers with their signature as proof of being warned, still takes management with a set of gonads to cut them or re-assign them. Weak management would be too cowardly to do either method.