Yellow | layoffs

1 in MIA this past week.....and he is bumping into ATL, who just had 4 more added to the senority list this past week....go figure....KK

3 layed off in IND line haul
8c6c82e4.gif

Columbus currently has 6 laid off in linehaul. And I spoke with the the linehaul manager and the local president and our BA this morning. And they intend on laying off aprrox 15 more within the next couple of days!

6 got laid of about two weeks ago!! The other 15 should be laid off in the next week or so.

And get this....Four of the six laid off were just hired about two months ago. And are now holding bids on the dock!!! I've been in Linehaul at Yellow for 3 years. And I'm too Senior to get laid off, and too junior to get called out... I'm working a day here and there and also getting unemployment. And between both I'm barely making it!

10 laidoff in col/ word has it 15 more next week
has anyone got an apb out on that booming economy they keep talking about??

no wonder its so hard to attract and retain good quality drivers I am new to the union and having a hard time getting my spouse to see the benefits of a job that they lay you off from so readily

Maybe its time for a change in the contract. The senior men might disagree because the have had to pay there dues, to get privilages and I might have a hard time if I was at the top and been thru it. We have men that are in the middle that are working 12 - 13 hours every day and this time could be divided up so that the junior men work every day. The top guys at our job are great because they realize that us newbies help take the load off so to speak. They do not want to work 50 or 55 hours a week. Maybe we can come up with some type of solution that works for the senior as well as bottom men. Is not this what the union is about the brothers and sisters sticking together for a better workplace?

Indy City yesterday, 17 city drivers took CC for the day. Later starting drivers (10-11am/noon/1pm) have been on the dock since Wednesday when everyone shows up for work.

profjt, no one is ever too senior to be laid off. In 2001 I thought I was safe, since I had 57 under me. 9/11 happened and they laid off 58................ Yellow will do whatever they have to do to stay in business. After all, I was #33 at Preston..........(I'm 176 out of about 285 at Yellow now, and a lot safer for whatever that's worth).........

The current contract allows employers to abuse the layoff policy. Since I moved south from NY I have noticed the union is about nonexistent except for a seniority list.
Things went by the book in NY, down here it's a different story.I had to ASK for my union card after I was hired.
The terminal I work has had a full time job posted on the Yellow web site since I was laid off. They change the date once a month to make it look like a new job posting.
I keep asking where my full time job is.
Sitting by the phone is not a full time job, maybe it's time I move on.

could you explain the differance between by the book and the way they do it down south please I might be missing something here. What do you mean by the employers can abuse the layoff policy

We have a North Carolina supplement to the contract.I was comparing this to the New York Supplement.
I have been on layoff, every day a non union cartage agent is in our terminal, driving our forklifts to load and unload himself.
While I am on layoff, consistently working 3 to 4 days a week-I am supposed to be given a start time at the end of my shift for the next day. It doesn't happen, I get a call the morning they want me to work and off I go. (if I work that day).
Everytime I ask the steward a question he defends the company 100% and tells me that what I read in the Master freight agreement does not pertain to me.
There was a guy ahead of me on layoff, I worked 5 days one week and they sent him a recall letter.He quit when he received the letter, I was supposed to be recalled at that point and it never happened.