Central Transport | LCV training is coming.

Hey, B.o.Ranger, don't you have 5 years of verifyable experience with doubles to be certified on trips? Seems like that's something that sticks in the back of my mind. Had the doub/trips endorsement since '88 but never used it until I started on here. The South Bend, In term has recuited some of the "team" volunteers to take the triples relay to Streetsboro, Oh starting in April, I think. They did turn up the horsepower on some of the 313 series tractors to be able to make the attempt at this. Talked to some of the volunteers out of there, maybe Buckeyedriver7 can let you in on your students over there in TOL.

Hey, B.o.Ranger, don't you have 5 years of verifyable experience with doubles to be certified on trips? Seems like that's something that sticks in the back of my mind. Had the doub/trips endorsement since '88 but never used it until I started on here. The South Bend, In term has recuited some of the "team" volunteers to take the triples relay to Streetsboro, Oh starting in April, I think. They did turn up the horsepower on some of the 313 series tractors to be able to make the attempt at this. Talked to some of the volunteers out of there, maybe Buckeyedriver7 can let you in on your students over there in TOL.

NO. you only need two years of driving to get certified triples there are a few more legal stipulations. To be a trainer you have to have been a certified LCV driver and meet all legal stips to be a trainer. As fas as horsepower on tractors: OHIO is the only state that has that clause in the law for triples. The way i was told they do this is.....dock loads triples with freight to a certain amount of weight lets say 55,000lbs of freight, hook the triples, Highway PATROL FOLLOWS SAID TRUCK COMBINATION ON A DESIGNAITED ROUTE AND THAT TRUCK MUST BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN ABOVE "X" MPH.

you mean 55k of payload plus tractor, two dollies, and 3 trailers? what is that, 90k or so? these 313 trucks were factory 410hp, not sure if they can go any higher than that on computer.

OK guys my "training" is complete. For drivers in the Southwest division and other terminals that pull LCV combo's already: All line haul drivers will be recertified first. This means laudy dotty everybody gets trained and certified.

As far as the drivers up north this is what I DO KNOW AND HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THE GUY OVERSEEING THIS TRAINING.
1. IN and OH have some different laws about pulling triples on the toll road.
a. Drivers in IN and OH have to first go through this training and a application for said driver must be submitted to the state for each driver in both states (evidently they get a card that says that they are a certified LCV driver).
b. The company has to apply for the permits for the trucks.
c. OH requires us to submit to the state what toll gates we will enter/exit from and specific route we will drive to/from terminal.
d. OH requires us to first road test a truck. (please read previous post)
e. IN will require us to rent drop yard or bull pen space at the exits in IN that we will use.
f. IN permits for the trucks.

If this "training" is handled the same way up north as it has been down south at Wichita for the past week, you ladies up north will not have to worry about this at all because i will be training these guys for the next 2 years.

If any of you guys up north are considering or have been asked to do this training you might want to highly consider doing this for a few reasons.
1. This is a Federal Certification not a big "V" thing. (this means it follows you for life not just your life at "V".)
2. Yes there is extra pay right now it's your doubles rate +1.5cpm. (not the best but it's something i've been running LCV here for 7 years and just started getting paid for doing it so I'm happy to get it)
3. The biggest reason " HAD I KNOWN THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW I'D DONE THINGS ALOT DIFFERENT" yeah if i hadn't to proud to be a dockworker/driver at OD,AF,ABF or Overnight 15 years ago we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Now i know that I have no idea whom you people are whether or not you actually work for the big V or your just some butt hole from some other company trying to start some crap.....I REALLY don't care. Heck I might even get accused of being management or some company Kool Aid drinking MF! I started this link and like most of these it went in another direction and then other company guys started giving their 2 cents. It quickly became a ***** showing game by page 2, crying and complaining by page 3 and completely butt hurt and off topic by well page 4. (actually it was all of the above by half way down page 1 but you see where I went with it).

Back to my point.....what was my point......oh yeah Chasing Greatness.....it up to each one of us......no that wasn't it.......We have named the tail of the company dog "greatness".....(coffee and smoke break).....ah thats better.

OK my point is this (this may have to much common sense or truth for most of you) (yeah I know i'm asking you to think like a adult.....suck it up buttercup its almost over). Wether or not you decide to stay with "V" for life or bid on a LCV run you never know what the future will hold. If you have different training and certifications than other applicants you could get the job before joe blow. IF the company said we will give you a extra 1.5 cpm but you have to work a extra 30 minutes a day woud you say no thanks? Your getting paid to take the training and the state permits will be paid for by the company so.......what are you out? You and V might not even be here next year so think about your future.

I will now post this and open myself once again to internet bullying and comments from close minded people or those of a lower IQ rating. Have a great weekend and a safe work week.

you mean 55k of payload plus tractor, two dollies, and 3 trailers? what is that, 90k or so? these 313 trucks were factory 410hp, not sure if they can go any higher than that on computer.
the dude just used that as a example. I would imagine that it would have to be at or above a total gross vehicle weight. I'm in KS the only thing we need is a permit for the truck that costs like $20 per truck. KS use to make companies (this was many years ago) prove that truck had a big enough horsepower. The company my Dad worked for took one truck down as the "proving" truck and then turned it down after all trucks where permitted. I have a 313 truck it does the job every night. I really don't care how much horse power you got with triples or double 53's gross up around 110,000 or 120,000 pounds + wind drag your not going anywhere to fast.

the dude just used that as a example. I would imagine that it would have to be at or above a total gross vehicle weight. I'm in KS the only thing we need is a permit for the truck that costs like $20 per truck. KS use to make companies (this was many years ago) prove that truck had a big enough horsepower. The company my Dad worked for took one truck down as the "proving" truck and then turned it down after all trucks where permitted. I have a 313 truck it does the job every night. I really don't care how much horse power you got with triples or double 53's gross up around 110,000 or 120,000 pounds + wind drag your not going anywhere to fast.

that is what i was thinking, the wind, i have done heavy haul on RGN up to 200k, but that was breaking wind with one cargo unit, i am sure 3 trailers with all them air gaps could be fun in a cross wind

What would your gross weight aloud to be with asset of triples or twin 53?

It really depends on the state. I know Kansas allows all combinations (triple pups, van and pup, double 53's and 48 and two pups) as long as the gross weight does not exceed 120,000 lbs and max vehicle length of 125 feet. Oklahoma is all combo's except 48' and two pups with a gross weight not to exceed 90,000. Ohio and Indiana is triples only with a gross weight not to exceed 105,000. There are other states that allow LCV's, that list and the state laws I can not give info on because i don't know. If and when I am advised of them I wil let you know.

Thanks kinds always wanted to know. And I suck at finding things on the net.
Well at least one good thing for the guys who get the opportunity to do this you my not get paid well and the equipment my not be the greatest but at least you will be able to put down on you next app with something you have experience with.

It really depends on the state. I know Kansas allows all combinations (triple pups, van and pup, double 53's and 48 and two pups) as long as the gross weight does not exceed 120,000 lbs and max vehicle length of 125 feet. Oklahoma is all combo's except 48' and two pups with a gross weight not to exceed 90,000. Ohio and Indiana is triples only with a gross weight not to exceed 105,000. There are other states that allow LCV's, that list and the state laws I can not give info on because i don't know. If and when I am advised of them I wil let you know.

We had a drivers meeting about the triples operation coming soon. TM doesn't know what the pay package is going to be, said that hasn't been worked out yet. We hired two new drivers from FedEx Freight that have 15+ years of experience pulling triples to be driver/trainers. The company has been buying used convertor dollies from Penske and refurbishing them. They had a couple in the shop repainted and stickered up. The TM says they are in the process of buying new pups too. We also got a flier stapled to our checks offering a $500 referral bonus for drivers and the driver gets a $1000 bonus if he stays a year and accident free.

undoubtely the $500 will be paid when and if that driver jumps through all the hoops for a year and if you remain working there as well. lol.

We had a drivers meeting about the triples operation coming soon. TM doesn't know what the pay package is going to be, said that hasn't been worked out yet. We hired two new drivers from FedEx Freight that have 15+ years of experience pulling triples to be driver/trainers. The company has been buying used convertor dollies from Penske and refurbishing them. They had a couple in the shop repainted and stickered up. The TM says they are in the process of buying new pups too. We also got a flier stapled to our checks offering a $500 referral bonus for drivers and the driver gets a $1000 bonus if he stays a year and accident free.

are these new drivers from fedex getting entry level pay like any other driver? bet you they walk in making more than what your top board driver does.

are these new drivers from fedex getting entry level pay like any other driver? bet you they walk in making more than what your top board driver does.

Don't know that's top secret. What I do know is they attempted twice to get certified by the Indiana Toll Road to pull triples and failed inspection.

New pups I'll believe it when I see them. And as the Dolly's go it would be nice if they put super single tires on them, it would make them so much easier to move by hand.