Lease Drivers

Myboyblue_55

TB Lurker
Credits
Does anyone know if J1 is still using lease drivers? I know last summer they had a bunch but not sure if there are any lease drivers there recently.

yes we are useing the "rent-a-bum "program again I watched one of the dumb A**es go out of the entrance instead of the exit, of the yard at j1. there will be an accident some day. Just think when they start letting the Mexican trucking co. in the USA how bad it will be. If they don't know english like some of these guys!!!!

They maybe lease drivers but they are doing the same work as a Jevic driver and the lease drivers are getting paid time and a half and the Jevic drivers are not, GO FIGURE:nutkick:

Ummmmm......I don't think so.
They don't do the same job unless you're under the impression that ALL our local guys do is deliver freight.
There is a reason that they are lease drivers and NOT Jevic drivers.
When you get time and a half after 40, do you always get 60-70 hours a week? I don't think so. Sure, time and a half would be nice. But when you're making 70,000 a year without time and half, who really cares? At the end of the year, you still made 70,000.
Our local guys do one heck of a job for us and as far as I'm concerned, they are all underpaid for what they do. But for God's sake, don't think for a second that the lease drivers even hold a candle to our full time local guys.:duh: :chairshot:

It's that same mentality that you have the very reason why the local drivers will never get the pay they deserve. Sure 70k is a nice salary but how many hours at straight time did you have to do to make it. The local drivers would be better served to get time and a half work less hours and still enjoy the great pay you speak of. Other carriers do it why can't Jevic?. the reason is that management has the same mentality you have . You don't have to worry one second that if the drivers got the best pay they could that they would be getting all the overtime they could handle it's just the way the local board is setup. I was a local driver there for 14 years,but went on to find a better paying job....yes they are out there!!,and with time and a half i work less hours and make the same money..go figure,so stop sounding like management,but if you are management in disguise then your attitude is understood,and fight to get the drivers the pay they should have not the pay you fell is enough.

It's that same mentality that you have the very reason why the local drivers will never get the pay they deserve. Sure 70k is a nice salary but how many hours at straight time did you have to do to make it. The local drivers would be better served to get time and a half work less hours and still enjoy the great pay you speak of. Other carriers do it why can't Jevic?. the reason is that management has the same mentality you have . You don't have to worry one second that if the drivers got the best pay they could that they would be getting all the overtime they could handle it's just the way the local board is setup. I was a local driver there for 14 years,but went on to find a better paying job....yes they are out there!!,and with time and a half i work less hours and make the same money..go figure,so stop sounding like management,but if you are management in disguise then your attitude is understood,and fight to get the drivers the pay they should have not the pay you fell is enough.

1 observation and 1 reality, at the risk of sounding combative and/or sarcastic

1-It you've left for greener pastures, there's got to be something better to do with ones free time than stick around dwelling on things you aren't involved with any more. Perhaps the new company you're with has its own area on truckingboards if you're still in trucking.

2-Reality is that business is about numbers and peroformance. It's a matter of supply and demand. Carriers are not bound or responsible to pay any better than the market will bear. The market will adjust accordingly. If we don't pay enough, drivers will go away. If we don't control our costs companies will close.

Carriers are for profit entities and have no reason to apologize for it.

Unlike Littledawg, I am management. And proud of it.

Back in the 1990's I was friendly with a Jevic driver who ran the Trenton area. I remember 1 day that he was really ticked off because the DOT had come in & put a stop to the drivers running over hours... He didn't think that he would be able to pay his bills on what he would make on only 70hrs straight time.

unlike gabbydad I ran over the road 10 1/2 yr an 5yrs on the shuttle for Jevic an I agree It's been hard work an I always made good money.You have to be able to give a little to the Co. You look at all the carriers the payed thier drivers to do all the little things an payed them to take a s--t an the drivers took advantage of it an a lot of them arnt in business any more. I would rather help the co. when I can an stay working , than take all I can an be without a job.

go figure,so stop sounding like management,but if you are management in disguise then your attitude is understood
I'm not in management. I can't afford that kind of pay cut.:hysterical:
No offense gabbydad.:butt kiss:
But I do take that as a compliment. At least you can understand where I'm coming from.
When a driver is hired on at Jevic, there aren't any smoke and mirrors. They are told right up front that there won't be any time and a half. To complain about it after you get the job is just stupid. Maybe they SHOULD pay time and a half but they don't. That's the truth and if they don't like it, just go somewhere that does. Pretty simple if it's high on your list of priorities,right?
I run the road and would LIKE to get paid 55 cents a mile but I don't. It doesn't mean I'm gonna complain. I like my job and I love the money.:party-smiley-017:
Could it be better? Absolutely.
Since we got away from SCS, it has done nothing but improve to work here. Dave G. does a great job and I,for one,have no real complaints.
So to close this rant, I say time and a half, who cares?
SHOW ME THE MONEY !!!!:1036316054:

gabbydaddy you really should stick to what you do and thats sales,you don't drive probably never have and if you did you would not want to work 70 hours a week for straight time.take the time to actually ask some of the drivers how they feel about this and it will open your eyes to alot of the problems that are in the driver corp. yes you are management and you sound like it but carriers that pay overtime do make a profit IE new penn,and i have more time to get on here a express my opinion because i don't have to work 60 or 70 hours a week and yes i am still in trucking and am with a company that you would love to get your foot in the door with but that will never happen. good luck and keep your foot on the drivers neck that will make them work extra hard for ya.

gabbydaddy you really should stick to what you do and thats sales,you don't drive probably never have and if you did you would not want to work 70 hours a week for straight time.take the time to actually ask some of the drivers how they feel about this and it will open your eyes to alot of the problems that are in the driver corp. yes you are management and you sound like it but carriers that pay overtime do make a profit IE new penn,and i have more time to get on here a express my opinion because i don't have to work 60 or 70 hours a week and yes i am still in trucking and am with a company that you would love to get your foot in the door with but that will never happen. good luck and keep your foot on the drivers neck that will make them work extra hard for ya.

Well, for someone who found greener pastures, you sure have alot of passion.

First- You have no knowledge of what I do and don't know. Nor where I've been and haven't been. So, you can save it.

Second- If you look at the responses on this board, I'm not alone. Some agree, some don't. Those of us here do agree on this: Jevic is a great place to work and while we're not without our warts, we choose to be here. And we hope it'll continue to improve. I'm not attacking you, but some of the topics you choose to manipulate. And I do it with general, fact based responses.

Let's put something out there. You know exactly who I am you and I have spoken many times. You basically told me once that after 15 years, you were entitled to start when you wanted to. There is no entitlement. It's not "Headcover Trucking"

I also have had feedback from at least 2 customers who told me about the anti-Jevic propaganda you were spewing b4 you left. I can tell you that in both cases, our customers don't consider you a gentleman any more.

As far as New Penn being profitable. I hope they are. In fact I'm pretty sure they are. The new sales rep who left them to join us after 8 years pretty much told me.

Do you really think you could cut it at a place like New Penn? I mean really? Those guys work their tails off. They don't get to sit in the Great Norhteast with their Latte's and sports section between the 3 stops they have. They don't have 2 hours to burn before thier 1st pu is assigned. Maybe that's why they do turn a buck.

What is the agenda for a guy who found a better place to work but keeps showing up here to spew your propaganda? We wish you well. You can post here all you want. But don't expect not to be taken to task every time. It's called balance.

As for me wanting to work in a great company, I do. Not interested in pasteries anyways.

Maybe you should update your user name to "sourgrapes"?

Lets just say i know what your supposed to do and if you don't sell any business then sure i get plenty of time to sit around and read the paper,thats not my fault thats you and your staffs fault,but as far as the number of stops per day i only did what was put on the truck no more no less,as far as bad mouthing jevic that was done all by itself all i did was give my reasons for leaving so if i was bad mouthing a bad situation then so be it.as far as pastries i got a call from someone on your staff asking me to put in a good work for them and i did mention jevic to the person in charge and was told no way no how so i guess I'm not the only one that says bad things about your beloved jevic,and finally the only drivers that expressed a view about not getting a better pay via o/t are the drivers that don't get paid by the hour anyway so of course they don't care about it,but like i said talk to the drivers that matter and get a little insight from the ones that are affected by the lack of it.
And by the way I never said I was a gentleman,and yes I could cut it at New Penn because like you said you don't know where I have been and what I have done in this business in the last 40 years.

Sour grapes

Believe me gabby there is not a sour bone in my body,but i do remember you and i having a chat about starting times and you also agreed that the changes they made were not to good for business,i didn't say i deserved to start at a certain time what i said was that according to seniority that since all these changes were being made that the drivers so have the chance to pick times and jobs accordingly like they do at companies that have unions and pay o/t:hysterical: ,but my little buddy L.R. didnt think so but it was done for 1 driver,but that just my opinion, and I was inferring that you take a job concerning pastries I was asked to see if Jevic could get another Chance to haul them.:smilie_132:

Headcover and Gabbydad, If you would like to continue this conversation please take it to PMs and keep it off the boards.

Thanks

Ummmmm......I don't think so.
They don't do the same job unless you're under the impression that ALL our local guys do is deliver freight.
There is a reason that they are lease drivers and NOT Jevic drivers.
When you get time and a half after 40, do you always get 60-70 hours a week? I don't think so. Sure, time and a half would be nice. But when you're making 70,000 a year without time and half, who really cares? At the end of the year, you still made 70,000.
Our local guys do one heck of a job for us and as far as I'm concerned, they are all underpaid for what they do. But for God's sake, don't think for a second that the lease drivers even hold a candle to our full time local guys.:duh: :chairshot:

but you have to work harder for that 70.000.with out time en-half.

Our drivers at Jevic do a hell of a job and you deserve every penny. I understand that the majority of our drivers are perfectly content with the money they make and the hours they work. But for the few complainers out there who believe they are given poor raises and not paid fairly b/c all the profits go to lining management's pockets, let's help fill you in: We don't get paid well in here at all. All the money goes into the drivers. Whether it is safety bonuses, improving/replacing trucks, running programs such as company/state rodeos, or just having an annual BBQ, a ton of cash goes into keeping you happy (before raises) and proving that we appreciate all the hard work you do.
I personally work for about $10-15,000 less a year than what other professionals in my field are making. Why? Because the money goes to the drivers...but also because I like Jevic! I like the people I work with, and I like the drivers I get to interact with on a daily basis. And I am not the only one in here busting my a$$ every day to make this company work for you and make it a better place for drivers and frankly it's insulting to read the threads from some drivers on here who take it all for granted. It ain't all "peaches and cream" in here, but we make the best of it.
And for drivers who left and believe they found a better place, post on their Truckingboard. Take your negativity somewhere else.:Die:

Been off the boards for a while, and WOW! things seem to be heating up? What's the problem? I like working for Jevic, and will continue to do so as long as they will have me, or until I decide that I want to go elsewhere.

I left another company after 9 years because I wanted to work for Jevic. I have not, and will not bad-mouth that company because I chose to work there, and enjoyed my job. It was just my time to move on.

Sure, the grass looks greener on the other side, but you still have to mow it.

I choose to make the best of what I have, and leave the past in the the past.

Sure, there are better paying jobs out there, with less hours. I could have chosen to become a lawyer, doctor, jet pilot when I was young. BUT...I chose this, and I chose Jevic. So leave us be, and enjoy your choices. We will all be the better for it.