Legalized Pot

jrz13

TB Lurker
Credits
To all the drivers that live in states where it's legal to smoke pot. I need a debate settled, it's my understanding that u signed on saying you wouldn't use weed ect. My buddy says if it's legal then it's fair game. How does it work in legal states?

This state recently passed a medical marijuana law. Alcohol is also legal here but having one or both in your system will cause you to lose your CDL if detected. A company that employs a commercial vehicle driver that has drugs in his or her system will pay dearly if that driver is involved in an accident regardless of who is at fault. A small fleet could easily be forced to file bankruptcy in that event. Any ambulance chasing attorney would have a field day filing suit for a victim of an accident that involved an impaired commercial vehicle driver.

So I'm right then that even though legal, as an at will employee, you agreed that your system would be drug free in order to maintain employment regardless of current state/federal law.

I have a relative in his upper 70's that decided to go back on the road after losing his wife. He is in perfect health, participates in marathons etc. He recently applied at a small trucking company close to here. They gladly hired him because he passed a background check & drug test. The company said they are having a difficult time finding applicants that can pass a drug test. The insurance company said older drivers are often very safe drivers & doesn't have a problem with the company hiring them.
If weed if more important than having a job driving then that is one's choice.

I don't think what a particular state says about pot being legal matters, it comes down to the federal government (FMCSA) and it's regulations and standards regarding the trucking industry that matter and it's their mandated drug tests that have to be passed regardless of state law.

I don't know of any state has laws that conflict with FMCSA rules and regulations. The state would lose federal highway funding by doing so. I think some states in fact have laws that are more restrictive than FMSCA regulations. For instance equipment regulations vary from state to state.

Last edited:
To all the drivers that live in states where it's legal to smoke pot. I need a debate settled, it's my understanding that u signed on saying you wouldn't use weed ect. My buddy says if it's legal then it's fair game. How does it work in legal states?
your "friend" is an idiot.....he still falls under the rules of the game. smoke, get a random from a weekend, he is either fired, or has to go thru SAP on HIS OWN DIME, and that AIN'T CHEAP, and then that POSITIVE result gets to go on his permanent file........

copy what i said, print it out, hand it to the idiot...

done deal on my end.......

your "friend" is an idiot.....he still falls under the rules of the game. smoke, get a random from a weekend, he is either fired, or has to go thru SAP on HIS OWN DIME, and that AIN'T CHEAP, and then that POSITIVE result gets to go on his permanent file........

copy what i said, print it out, hand it to the idiot...

done deal on my end.......
That was my point exactly, when your hired by any logistics company. You fall under FEDERAL DOT regs not to mention the insurance companies having to clear you to begin with. Thank you

Pot is not legal on a federal level Even in legal states and it's still illegal on all dot drug tests.
Personal consumption if you live in legal states is allowed but you can't cross the border of another state with it.
Unless your approved for Medical pot consumption