Lets make it work

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
I called GFS today accepted there job offer. I told them that I look forward to it and they said so do we.

Today out in the truck I did some backing maneuvers, so I can get ready for GFS.
I backed into a couple of places that I can or cannot back into, because they do more backing then we do, however I do a lot of parallel parking so ehh I know they say side loaders do not back a lot and that is true there are times when some routes you can go through 95% of the time without backing, but that isn't my route ha-ha!

Work this week told me I did good on my hours last week, but they would still like to see some improvement in that area. Well that's good because pretty soon my hours there will be down to zero can't ask for anymore improvement then that.

Thanks Gaurdrail,
They seem a lot more sincere at GFS then my current employer. GFS seems to be set up way more success it's certainly not nearly the revolving door that my current employer is. I mean I know GFS has overturn any company with that many people in this business will have overturn, but the woman at the office when I called in was very nice she said "Oh hello, yes I was expecting you're call." GFS certainly has a much better values system in place and they really do try to live it.

Really I don't mind do extra stuff, like I love helping out the other drivers when I can or running hot shots in the cargo van, and helping the team out in that regard. The boss said "Most kids you're age just want to show up get there's and not really help out any extra."

That's really not me I don't mind the little junkets once my work is done. Once I'm done in the big truck I like being done in the big truck, but like running hot shots in the cargo van and helping in ways like that I really like it makes me feel useful. Helping the other drivers it's fun I get paid, but don't have 100% of the responsibility for paper work and stuff like that.

That's really how I feel and I told them that at GFS and he said "That's a good answer." I've done stuff like that at the beer company ran hot shots helped trucks that were broken down. Took stuff down town and on my way home so the customers were taken care of. GFS said "You don't have to take stuff on you're way home with us that will never happen." I said "My current employer did not let it happen a lot either only a couple of times under real extenuating circumstances."

The boss at GFS said "Yeah well it just doesn't look right." However then have some nice cargo vans at GFS the one has a cool refer unit on the roof it's a late model Ford Econoline Extended cargo van with chrome bumper and grill. Real nice and clean looking.

They also have another Ford Econoline, but it doesn't have a reefer and isn't extended. I see the vans running around from time to time following the big trucks at times. They probably are taking stops off of them to make things easier.

That's the one thing I never got about where I work. We have trucks break down and they never send a van to take smaller stops off, they just let you sit there for 4-5 hours. Once I broke down in close proximity to the warehouse and they could have sent a van to take the smaller stops off, but they didn't they just did nothing.

If I remember right the guys in the vans are actually assigned to them, that job has a name but I can't remember what it is. They don't make as much as the tractor trailer drivers, that's not to say the don't have regular delivery drivers jump in them because the might. I just remember them having a job posting for them on their website at one time.

Not yet, this Monday I have TCT testing at GFS's Springfield Plant, you know they do a DOT Physical and test you're range of motion occupational type stuff. Then once they give me the all clear I will turn in my notice. They offered me a job I accepted the job it's been all documented this the final stage. The boss at GFS said I shouldn't have a problem at all passing there test. I'm not trying to burn any bridges with my current employer. I don't really believe in burning bridges.

Yes I totally agree, I had forgot you had to go have the assessment done. I would wait until its a done deal for sure. Good luck!

So today I had to do some paper work for GFS, and the boss asked me if I was excited to start and I said yes I am a little bit. I said my parents are excited about it to they think it will be better opportunity and that there will probably be more opportunities down the line.

The boss said you'll work harder, but the compensation is also a lot better and he said and there's lots of opportunities.

My dad said to me GFS is defiantly a step up and the company is growing and hopefully you can move up in the company and be able to get out of the truck eventually and do other things, you know sales/food and beverage or a host of other jobs they might have who knows, defiantly worth shooting for. Certainly I have to work hard and learn the business, which I think was why they offered me the job on the spot, yes it helped that they needed a driver and all that, but also I knew a little about the business from working at the pizza shop for a few years and then working for the beer distributor I have some knowledge of how beverage distribution works, you know and beverage distribution is a boring steady business it's very cut and dry.

However I knew a little bit about the food service business you know I wasn't walking into there office going "What do you guys do here? I'm just looking to drive trucks."

I'm always looking to learn stuff and anytime an opportunity comes up I'll always consider it.

If there's one thing I'll never want to do in food service is being a salesman. To stressful in my opinion. And you get called in the early morning and on weekends when a customer runs out of a certain product or when there shorted. But the again I might be wrong and it might be great. I'd rather be a transportation manager

If there's one thing I'll never want to do in food service is being a salesman. To stressful in my opinion. And you get called in the early morning and on weekends when a customer runs out of a certain product or when there shorted. But the again I might be wrong and it might be great. I'd rather be a transportation manager

The sales people do, do a lot of running around and picking up stuff from the warehouse delivering stuff. Gosh all the times the sales people from Hillcrest Foods showed up at the Pizza shop with cheese and other things thrown in the back seat and trunk of there cars. It happened all the time.

The sales people do, do a lot of running around and picking up stuff from the warehouse delivering stuff. Gosh all the times the sales people from Hillcrest Foods showed up at the Pizza shop with cheese and other things thrown in the back seat and trunk of there cars. It happened all the time.
That don't happen at Sysco anymore, everything has to be transported with refrigeration unless its dry, after that fiasco in California.

That don't happen at Sysco anymore, everything has to be transported with refrigeration unless its dry, after that fiasco in California.

GFS seems to be the same way they have a Ford cargo van down at the yard that they use that has a reffer unit on the roof. The boss even said "Yeah stuff has to be refrigerated has to be refrigerated." Hillcrest Food Service here in Cleveland I also think changed it up a little bit, because in addition to there big trucks they also have some late model Ford F-550 cut away box trucks that they send out on the road the trucks have refer units and everything. Once in a while I see them at the grocery stores delivering stuff like eggs and other groceries.