FedEx Freight | Let's talk about the new E-Logs

The bigger issue here will be speed compliance. No more "I'm from Arizona, so when I'm in California, I can speed." The electronic logs will have full GPS and according to the lawsuit filed by OOIDA, will notify any scale you cross that you've been speeding. As for me, I'm on the clock running the road, and I never get in a hurry. I suspect the company will comply with FMCSA, they've been trying to force hourly down the throats of the companies for the last 5 years.

You guys talk about your 600mile + runs. when I was with ol Purple, POR drivers and MED drivers could not do POR-MED turns with triples because of the time (eventhough every other LTL can do it) so only ran doubles so now that you are going to use electronic does that mean no more doubles and only singles? or just going to meet in EUG? just having some fun because of the way things had changed over the past years---LOL good luck

I ran that 672 a few times when Denver was short on drivers and KCY loaned me to them for a week, 5.25 hours each way. Definitely wouldn't want 5 of those in a row but you know there is someone running that on a bid then volunteering for Saturdays.. :)

roog

You guys talk about your 600mile + runs. when I was with ol Purple, POR drivers and MED drivers could not do POR-MED turns with triples because of the time (eventhough every other LTL can do it) so only ran doubles so now that you are going to use electronic does that mean no more doubles and only singles? or just going to meet in EUG? just having some fun because of the way things had changed over the past years---LOL good luck
Conway (XPO) still does those POR-MED-POR turns. I see their triples on I-5 all the time. Not sure how they can do it...it's a long trip, even with favorable weather conditions.

I ran that 672 a few times when Denver was short on drivers and KCY loaned me to them for a week, 5.25 hours each way. Definitely wouldn't want 5 of those in a row but you know there is someone running that on a bid then volunteering for Saturdays.. :)

roog
I used to hate that! We had guys starving on the bottom of the extra board and those guys would do that 672 then work a WAK on Saturday. Ugh..don't get me started, don't even work there anymore and it still pisses me off!

I don't run one of our 600+ mile runs on a daily basis but from what I've heard and experienced, the E-logs shouldn't make that big of a deal for us. Most can turn them legitimately in 10-10.5 hrs which leaves 30 mins to an hour to play with per day.
As for my bid, I turn 586-590 daily (almost 600) and the E-logs won't effect my side of the bid at all.
My company has been using elogs for months and there is a lot to love about using it but there are disadvantages too . You start your shift with 11 drive hours and 14 overall hours. Once you punch in, the clock starts ticking and there is no pencil whipping the elog. When everything is hunky Dory fine,you can run the monster runs in 10-10.5 hours but, when things go bad, that 30 minutes of left over drive time goes away in the blink of an eye . I know because it has almost happened to me and I have a bigger reserve than 30 minutes. You catch a slow traffic backup at a construction zone, a back up because of a wreck, or any number of other things that will cause a delay and that drive time just keeps on rolling to 0:00. The only way to stop the countdown is to go off duty or take your 30 minute break, but even then, the overall clock is still ticking down from 14 hours and when the overall clock matches the drive clock they both start ticking down and you can't stop it. What happens if you run out of drive or overall hours and are sitting on the side of the road? Somebody is going to be thrown under the bus and its not the bosses.

My company has been using elogs for months and there is a lot to love about using it but there are disadvantages too . You start your shift with 11 drive hours and 14 overall hours. Once you punch in, the clock starts ticking and there is no pencil whipping the elog. When everything is hunky Dory fine,you can run the monster runs in 10-10.5 hours but, when things go bad, that 30 minutes of left over drive time goes away in the blink of an eye . I know because it has almost happened to me and I have a bigger reserve than 30 minutes. You catch a slow traffic backup at a construction zone, a back up because of a wreck, or any number of other things that will cause a delay and that drive time just keeps on rolling to 0:00. The only way to stop the countdown is to go off duty or take your 30 minute break, but even then, the overall clock is still ticking down from 14 hours and when the overall clock matches the drive clock they both start ticking down and you can't stop it. What happens if you run out of drive or overall hours and are sitting on the side of the road? Somebody is going to be thrown under the bus and its not the bosses.
I agree 100% but in our case, we make a phone call and they "cushion" a driver to come get us if we're close enough or we shut down at the closest "safe haven" (center) and we hit the motel while another driver from that center moves the freight.
As for getting "thrown under the bus", it doesn't happen here...:::shit::: happens, some things are beyond our control. When the company relaxed the policies and started allowing the drivers to make their own decisions on the best route possible when comcerning a backup, it allowed us to be able to make our runs within the allotted amount of time....one of the best policy descisions they ever made IMO!!

I'm guessing we're gonna see some 'adjustments' in Linehaul when the ELD's become mandatory. Those 600-mile turns are gonna disappear.

For the last few years, I have run a meet and turn, running I45, between Houston and Dallas. Five nights a week, me and my 65ish mph Volvo see a lot of FedEx pup sets and everyone of them is blowing and going past me. I don't have a problem with that because the FedEx drivers are always courteous, they know what they are doing, and they are not putting other people in bad situations. But, man, you guys are always in a hurry. I'm in my comfy spot with one hand on the wheel and the other hand resting on the gearshift ,not in case I need a quick reaction to an emergency situation, but because I can reach the radio tune knob from there without having to move my arm. Then, I see lights coming fast in the left lane and I put both hands on the wheel because I know that FedEx is coming through. Then, when I see those vertical taillights on the rear pup go by, I return to my comfy spot.
Now you guys are going to have to deal with e-logs and the power problems your new tractors seem to have, see FedEx forum thread on new tractors. You guys are really going to be in a stressed out hurry. Maybe I am wrong but that's how it looks from my lane.

Green "EX" is ground red is freight. The freight trucks are governed around 65 also so the shouldn't be blowing by. The ground trucks are owner operators they usually aren't governed.

The green ones fly by you in rain and snow only to end up in the ditch.
Surprised Freddie has not slowed them down some.

I am too, I would think they are running under Fedex's insurance so I'm surprised they aren't mandated to a certain speed. They control everything else the contractors do.

Most ground trucks are driven by guys who work for the contractor and the few contractors I know around here have their trucks governed too...although it's around 70mph. The contractor is responsible for the fuel their trucks use and they can't count on their drivers not to run hammer down all the time.

As for freight, yes, we're governed at 65...the best way to make decent money is to keep the left door shut!!

Blue,green, purple, I can't keep it straight. I see pup sets, one pup, and one pup and a dolly. What I do know is that the tractors pulling the pups are marked FedEx.I don't recall ever seeing a non FedEx tractor pulling FedEx pups. Do you have contractors driving Fedex identified tractors, if not, then these are FedEx drivers. If your trucks are governed to 65 then my Volvo must be slower than I thought but it sure is comfy.

Blue,green, purple, I can't keep it straight. I see pup sets, one pup, and one pup and a dolly. What I do know is that the tractors pulling the pups are marked FedEx.I don't recall ever seeing a non FedEx tractor pulling FedEx pups. Do you have contractors driving Fedex identified tractors, if not, then these are FedEx drivers. If your trucks are governed to 65 then my Volvo must be slower than I thought but it sure is comfy.
Yeah the contractors trucks say Fedex on the also.