TForce | letter about senority

overnite777

TB Lurker
Credits
has any one heard of or seen a letter , supposedly from the national panel in new orleans in jan, about a change relating to your "new hire date". it seems there is a change in this letter that states that anyone who transfers from one service center to another loses all time for lay off purposes, but maintains their time for vacation bidding and retirement. specifically, what i was told is about all time with SSD not being counted as they now consider SSD not to be part the same company as the LTL side even though all my paychecks still had overnite on them

Ssd is not covered under the contract, if you transferred from there to ltl your not gonna dovetail into the seniority list, they may let you keep your vacation, but I have not heard of any letter saying anything about this, there was a letter of understanding that was sent out that clarified what seniority meant but it did not change anything.

I would think any changes would have to be voted on. There is alot of people who think they keep changing the contract but they think or are told an article means one thing and the company says it means somthing different and the panel sends out a letter clarifying what it means.

Ssd is not covered under the contract, if you transferred from there to ltl your not gonna dovetail into the seniority list, they may let you keep your vacation, but I have not heard of any letter saying anything about this, there was a letter of understanding that was sent out that clarified what seniority meant but it did not change anything.

I would think any changes would have to be voted on. There is alot of people who think they keep changing the contract but they think or are told an article means one thing and the company says it means somthing different and the panel sends out a letter clarifying what it means.

Are you sure about that? I mean are you really sure about what you are so telling .Might want to double check that one O. Check your rulings from FT luaderdale.

There was a recent decision made. Transforees have no seniority for any purpose except retirement, pay, and earned vacation. They start at the bottom of the list for bids, vacation selection, and layoffs as though they are a new employee. Think long and hard before you transfer.

has any one heard of or seen a letter , supposedly from the national panel in new orleans in jan, about a change relating to your "new hire date". it seems there is a change in this letter that states that anyone who transfers from one service center to another loses all time for lay off purposes, but maintains their time for vacation bidding and retirement. specifically, what i was told is about all time with SSD not being counted as they now consider SSD not to be part the same company as the LTL side even though all my paychecks still had overnite on them

They are treating Overnite freight and SSD the same as you would treat the UPS parcel division and freight division. Same name, but acually two different companies under that name. One could argue that they were the same company which would be true, but they were two seperate divisions, and two different pay scales as we are with the parcel division of UPS.

The only time you lose seniority in a transfer from one terminal to another is when you voluntarily transfer. If you are transfering to another terminal for purposes of following your run or freight transfered from one terminal to another you do not lose your seniority, company, or classification. In some cases in the past if you were following the freight, transfer to one terminal to another such as a mini hub operation, but not a specific run, you may lose your classification seniority for six months, or until the next bid, which ever comes first, but you never lose in this case your company seniority with this type of transfer. This is exactlly what happened when the mini hub operation was moved from CGO to SOH. This falls under past practice.

i transfered from ltl to ssd in1998 and transfered back to ltl in 2003 after they started screwing it up when i came back i got all my senority and now i'm being told it dosen't count for anything that's why i want to see something in writing from the nationals or wherever the ruling came from

The transfer policy has always been that way. I would like to hear anything from nationals. I can get no info on any rulling from Jan.still in the dark on east coast. does anyone care at union hall? We need info to pass along.

Are you sure about that? I mean are you really sure about what you are so telling .Might want to double check that one O. Check your rulings from FT luaderdale.

That is a different local than mine, I haven't heard anything about any ruling in TL, I went back and reread the article on covered units.

ARTICLE 1
PARTIES TO THE AGREEMENT​

Section 2. Operations Covered​
The execution of this Agreement on the part of the Employer shall
cover all employees of the Employer in the bargaining unit at any existing terminals at which the TNUPSFNC has been certified as
the collective bargaining representative.

That article says the contract covers all employees at a recognized terminal if the TL guys are considered an employee of xyz and are domiciled at xyz terminal then maybe they should be covered. At the very least it could be used as a bargaining chip to get something we want in exchange for agreeing TL should not be covered under this contract.

Overnite we have a driver who voluntarily transferred to our terminal from another LTL terminal and we have a driver who transferred from SSD. Both drivers had their seniority date changed to their transfer date based on this recent ruling. Their transfer date will be used for bids, vacations, and layoffs. Unfortunately I dont have a copy of the MOU but obviously its out there somewhere. This was a national ruling as I understand it.

What you have stated is 100% correct, you go to the bottom of the list when transferring into the new terminal, but your company seniority for all other purposes prevails. Including layoff.

What you have stated is 100% correct, you go to the bottom of the list when transferring into the new terminal, but your company seniority for all other purposes prevails. Including layoff.

Not true. We have a 19 year guy on layoff because of this change. He is a transforee and is at the bottom of the board. The rules have been changed. Perhaps someone can post a copy of this decision. Word to the wise, do not transfer without a clarification. Supposedly this is the way the teamsters do it in the NMFA too. I say again, a transforee is like a new hire for everything except pay and retirement benefits.

Unless there was an MOU that I do not have, this is what I am seeing based on this MOU, and the contract.

In time of layoff.

Article 5, section 1 applies

Seniority
(A) Upon completion of the probationary period The employees seniority for all purposes shall be the first day worked as a probationary employee. Seniority shall be broken only by discharge,voluntary quit,retirement, or more then 2 year layoff or leave, except for those workers on workmans compensation leave who shall not suffer a break in seniority unless on leave for more then 3 years.

Which now brings me to the MOA.

Dated November 20 of 2008.

Memorandum of understanding

It is the parties intent that the phrase ..." last employee hired on the effected classification seniority list.".... Is in referance to the date an individual became a fulltime employee with the employer ( Official Seniority Date) , not the date the employee entered the job classification in which the layoff may be occuring( classification seniority).

Now I cannot find it now, but if an employee transfers to a terminal where his work was not obsorbed by the terminal in which he transfers to, then his classification seniority is effected, not his Official Seniority Date.

Unless there was an MOU that I do not have, this is what I am seeing based on this MOU, and the contract.

In time of layoff.

Seniority
(A) Upon completion of the probationary period The employees seniority for all purposes shall be the first day worked as a probationary employee. Seniority shall be broken only by discharge,voluntary quit,retirement, or more then 2 year layoff or leave, except for those workers on workmans compensation leave who shall not suffer a break in seniority unless on leave for more then 3 years.

It is the parties intent that the phrase ..." last employee hired on the effected classification seniority list.".... Is in referance to the date an individual became a fulltime employee with the employer ( Official Seniority Date) , not the date the employee entered the job classification in which the layoff may be occuring( classification seniority).

Now I cannot find it now, but if an employee transfers to a terminal where his work was not obsorbed by the terminal in which he transfers to, then his classification seniority is effected, not his Official Seniority Date.

I'm familiar with this MOU but there must be another one after it because our driver was just affected within the last 30 days. Anyone have this document?

we try too help u

:TR10driving03::TR10driving03::TR10driving03:
has any one heard of or seen a letter , supposedly from the national panel in new orleans in jan, about a change relating to your "new hire date". it seems there is a change in this letter that states that anyone who transfers from one service center to another loses all time for lay off purposes, but maintains their time for vacation bidding and retirement. specifically, what i was told is about all time with SSD not being counted as they now consider SSD not to be part the same company as the LTL side even thyallough all my paychecks still had overnite on them

snowsnake we tryed to tell u what too do .trying to get something for nothing is bs.one line bs .we tryed too tell u guys it s going too backfire.now its blowing up in your face.leave it alone:TR10driving03:

In time of layoff.

Seniority

We have an MOU that states for LAYOFF its your HIRE date.

Is this the MOU?

This is the only MOU I have in referance to seniority. Guess I should have resized it. LOL
bobjay.jpg
We have an MOU that states for LAYOFF its your HIRE date.

What the majority of you fail to see is that SSD and LTL employees were able to transfer between both divisions freely and their company seniority carried over. To tell me that I no longer have my company seniority after I transferred well over three years ago and well before the Teamsters were involved with UPS Freight is a farce. The last UPS Freight handbook even allowed for the same transfers and it was never a question about company seniority until the Teamsters got involved.

What would have been fair to ALL employees, which the Teamsters and UPS Freight should have done to begin with, is to set a cut-off date for transfers and freeze everyone's seniority at a pre-determined FUTURE date. I don't see how they could go retroactive and cancel all that time when we worked for the company in good faith and being told our time counted. This was also something that was never covered in the contract to begin with. It never mentioned transfers and it never differentiated between SSD and LTL drivers or transfers. If you were an LTL driver at the time of the contract signing, regardless of where you came from, then you should have been considered an LTL driver from the start and given credit for time in service and THEN allow the rules to be changed.

For the folks that think the union is a good thing and that they are protecting you from the big, bad UPS Freight company, let me ask you this: If the company can take away 6 years of my company time and move me to one person away from a layoff and the Teamsters not even utter a peep, then what can they possibly take away from you? Anyone that hasn't figured out yet that the company owns the Teamsters is a fool and deserves what they get.

What the majority of you fail to see is that SSD and LTL employees were able to transfer between both divisions freely and their company seniority carried over. To tell me that I no longer have my company seniority after I transferred well over three years ago and well before the Teamsters were involved with UPS Freight is a farce. The last UPS Freight handbook even allowed for the same transfers and it was never a question about company seniority until the Teamsters got involved.

What would have been fair to ALL employees, which the Teamsters and UPS Freight should have done to begin with, is to set a cut-off date for transfers and freeze everyone's seniority at a pre-determined FUTURE date. I don't see how they could go retroactive and cancel all that time when we worked for the company in good faith and being told our time counted. This was also something that was never covered in the contract to begin with. It never mentioned transfers and it never differentiated between SSD and LTL drivers or transfers. If you were an LTL driver at the time of the contract signing, regardless of where you came from, then you should have been considered an LTL driver from the start and given credit for time in service and THEN allow the rules to be changed.

For the folks that think the union is a good thing and that they are protecting you from the big, bad UPS Freight company, let me ask you this: If the company can take away 6 years of my company time and move me to one person away from a layoff and the Teamsters not even utter a peep, then what can they possibly take away from you? Anyone that hasn't figured out yet that the company owns the Teamsters is a fool and deserves what they get.

tree9148 Gbo is observing SSD time(for now.... the battle still rages) so go figure....Article 5 is clear for me... the day you go to full time is your date of senority..for all purposes...period...and imhho... transfers makes no difference...I know few follow this opinion ....for now..... you are giving up the fight,things are moving slow I know but that is the nature of the beast...I understand your concern about the mere thought of being laid off...unless I`ve missed something you aren`t .
Jumping ship while it is being built is crazy...your input is gravely needed.........

tree9148 Gbo is observing SSD time(for now.... the battle still rages) so go figure

God Bless you, my friend, but if a grievance is filed based on that seniority that GBO is recognizing, the Teamster/UPS Freight ruling on that seniority will go into effect and the person with SSD time will then realize that their time does not count, regardless of what the GBO terminal is doing.

The road driver bid I just won legitimately is now being reposted because the other employee that bid on it did so too late, even though the contract says the bid is to remain posted for 14 calendar days. He wanted to make a dramatic finish and swipe it out from under me and he missed the deadline. He filed a grievance and the job was reposted Friday and he finally did the smart thing and bid on it on day one. I knew what the contract read, but he didn't and obviously our manager didn't wiwther, so I have to pay the price.

Also, I work at a terminal with 13 employees and I was number 8 on the company seniority board. Because of the Teamster/UPS Freight ruling on seniority, I have now dropped to number 12 out of 13 and am 1 employee away from layoff. In this economy, it could happen. Now you understand why I feel like I do.

Because I am in a right to work state, my opinion and relief petition with the National Labor Relations Board will still count because I am still represented by the Teamsters like it or not. I'm just not going to be giving my money to the pack of thieves for being compliant in taking away what I've earned. My withdrawal letter will be in the mail Monday.

..I understand,but I implore you to reconsider...crow sucks:thumbsdown: no matter how you cook it...

This is what really burns my kister ..why so many different interpetations....and trust me this brother ain't alone....:Flame-On: