FedEx Freight | liftgate drivel

To liftgate or not....
ALL LIFTGATE DRIVEL GOES HERE CREW
We should probably recap (thanks mxblue) the contractual obligations, before anyone steps in it. Guidelines, if you will, and the charges for it.

http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/liftgate_service.html

"The charges for this service will be paid by the party that requested the service, or guaranteed by the Shipper. Carrier is not obligated to perform such service when suitable vehicles equipped with such devices and operators are not available, or when such equipment is not available through a contractor or rental agency. When liftgate equipment is not available and Carrier personnel utilizes alternate means to move the freight from the vehicle to ground level, the liftgate charges named herein will apply. Services will only be rendered at locations that are safe and accessible to the vehicle.
  1. Except as otherwise provided, when Carrier provides liftgate service, the charge will be $8.74 per cwt, subject to a minimum charge of $129.00 and a maximum charge of $426.00.
  2. When liftgate service is performed at points within the states of Alaska and Hawaii, the charges as found in this Item 890 paragraph 1.A. will not apply. For application and charges for this service in Alaska and Hawaii, refer to applicable tariff publications."

Then we also might want to keep in mind, Liftgate's evil twin, the inside delivery/pickup. They often travel together but can become competing forces.

http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/inside_delivery_pickup.html

"Inside Pickup or Delivery
IDC, IDP, IPP,IPC

1. When Consignor/Consignee requests and Carrier's operating conditions permit, Carrier may move all or part of shipments from or to positions beyond the point directly accessible or immediately adjacent to the pup/set or vehicle, the following charges will apply:
    1. $12.55 per cwt., subject to a minimum charge of $132.00. Maximum charge will be $1,326.00 per pup or vehicle, per shipment.
  2. Service will be provided to floors above or below the level accessible to Carrier's pup/set or vehicle only when elevator or escalator service is available and labor, when necessary to operate same, is provided without cost to Carrier.
  3. Charges apply wherever and whenever the service is performed."
:smilie93c peelout:

To liftgate or not....
ALL LIFTGATE DRIVEL GOES HERE CREW
Oh ya, tons of liftgate stuff in this forum .... ;) ((here let me BOLD the relevant portion)

Item 890
Rule

Liftgate Service

LIFC, LIFP,
LGOC, LGOP

1. The charges for this service will be paid by the party that requested the service, or guaranteed by the Shipper. Carrier is not obligated to perform such service when suitable vehicles equipped with such devices and operators are not available, or when such equipment is not available through a contractor or rental agency. When liftgate equipment is not available and Carrier personnel utilizes alternate means to move the freight from the vehicle to ground level, the liftgate charges named herein will apply. Services will only be rendered at locations that are safe and accessible to the vehicle.
    1. Except as otherwise provided, when Carrier provides liftgate service, the charge will be $8.74 per cwt, subject to a minimum charge of $129.00 and a maximum charge of $426.00.
    2. When liftgate service is performed at points within the states of Alaska and Hawaii, the charges as found in this Item 890 paragraph 1.A. will not apply. For application and charges for this service in Alaska and Hawaii, refer to applicable tariff publications.

But then you show up and you can't get it off because your liftgate's too small.
One thing that Fedex needs to address are size and weight limits for liftgate service. I have seen 12 foot long crates that said liftgate required on the bill of lading. That ain’t happening. Also extremely heavy skids are both dangerous for the driver, and may exceed the liftgates recommended weight limit. There needs to be a policy addressing both size and weight limits for liftgate service. SAFETY ABOVE ALL!

One thing that Fedex needs to address are size and weight limits for liftgate service. I have seen 12 foot long crates that said liftgate required on the bill of lading. That ain’t happening. Also extremely heavy skids are both dangerous for the driver, and may exceed the liftgates recommended weight limit. There needs to be a policy addressing both size and weight limits for liftgate service. SAFETY ABOVE ALL!
Yup. Gets tiresome pushing 6ft x 8ft x 1000lb crate onto a liftgate that is 4x6. Then the customer watches as his $3000 piece of equipment gets half-lowered to the ground while hoping the back half doesn't slip off and come crashing to the ground.

Yup. Gets tiresome pushing 6ft x 8ft x 1000lb crate onto a liftgate that is 4x6. Then the customer watches as his $3000 piece of equipment gets half-lowered to the ground while hoping the back half doesn't slip off and come crashing to the ground.
People like this kill me. You're having this heavy, awkward, expensive piece of equipment delivered. To your house. And then you complain about how it has to be unloaded by a liftgate. Very awkwardly.

If you run a business that requires heavy equipment, have the decency to at least have access to a forklift or a Moffett. Otherwise, you get what you get.

Official education on this topic leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, I have NEVER seen an official presentation of proper instructions, either through video or hands on demonstration. Perhaps it was not a big deal when there were very few liftgates in the system, but now it seems to be a critical oversight.

A couple years back I was able to obtain a computer based printout of official Company liftgate guidelines. Even that, I seem to recall, did NOT address size an/or weight limits. I'll find it, review it, and perhaps share it... It's the ONLY one I've ever seen.

When that's going to happen ?:biglaugh:
All that mgt want's is it off the dock , you the driver better figure it out.:hysterical: